yet more DIY projector questions

slimchill

Distinguished
May 13, 2006
i searched but couldn't find anything that addressed these questions.

1. does the on/off panel from the lcd monitor need to be included in the final projector?

2. the video and the explanation seem to diverge from one another as far as placing the lcd panel on the projector. the directions make it seem that the spacer (in my case, styrofoam) needs to be between the panel and the projector's glass. in the video, however, it seems that only the lcd monitor's board sits on the styrofoam and the rest is place on the glass. i know this can't be right because of the need for an air cushion, but the video confuses me. so what's the right setup?

Lord-Ilpolazzo

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
"1. does the on/off panel from the lcd monitor need to be included in the final projector?"

Yup. Everything thats in your doner monitor is there for a reason, so leave everything in. Most of the time the on off panel is a small seperate pcb with a few other buttons on it, and a reasonable length of cable joining it to the main pcb. So, you can easily tuck it out of the way.. it depends exactly how your implementing your home made projector.. and more details and i could better advise.

"2. the video and the explanation seem to diverge from one another as far as placing the lcd panel on the projector. the directions make it seem that the spacer (in my case, styrofoam) needs to be between the panel and the projector's glass. in the video, however, it seems that only the lcd monitor's board sits on the styrofoam and the rest is place on the glass. i know this can't be right because of the need for an air cushion, but the video confuses me. so what's the right setup?"

Hard to advise due to lack of detailed info, but in the pictures iv seem, people tend to "hang" the LCD panel itself by its fpc connectors from the driver boards. So, they attach the small pcbs around the edge of the panel to the polystyrene, leaving the LCD panel itslef hanging over the projector glass. Otherwise youd have to rest the panel itself on a support, and youd end up covering up a little bit of your LCD panel, which would be undesirable. So, to summarise. DO leave a small gap between the LCD glass panel and you projector (id say 0.5cm should be fine) An yes, suspend you LCD panel from the thin rectangular PCBs that are on each side of the panel.

Ther are various different arrangements inside different monitors so its very hard to provide detailed instructions. If you do succeed in it tho, make sure you have a fan blowing air over the LCD (and between the LCD - Projector gap) to keep it cool else it will soon become damaged by the heat.

damn. This is one of those times wen actualy showing u would be instantly clear but trying to explain is hopelessly complicated

angrygoatface

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2005
Thanks a bunch. I understand now.

On another note, does anyone have some suggestions monitor-wise?

Also, is there a way of "shrinking" the image on a 17" monitor to fit a 10" stage? I have a 17" KOGi that I can use, I just need a method of "shrinking" the image.

pokemon

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
I would invest in lumenlab.com, which is where I go to. You'll learn that tomshardware doesn't have sh*t on DIY projectors. I'm working on two right now and the community is enormous. It is probably the best investment I've made towards this whole projector project. You will also have a nice looking projector, rather than some crappy overhead one.

For shrinking the image you can either use Powerstrip to set a custom resolution. Or you can buy seperate fresnels for the overhead that will fit the LCD, and mod the overhead to fit them. Or spend something like $10 or $20 (they change the membership fee every now and then) and not have to ask questions. You could seriously learn how to do everything by reading other peoples PLOGs (Projector LOG) on how to do it. We have many people over there that know their stuff on projectors, better than anyone here, so enjoy.