Sign in with
Your question

New Build Flaws?

Last response: in Systems
May 13, 2006 2:45:00 AM

Hi i got all this as a payment from a job i did so i couldn't chose any of it but i think if i had the option to choose on it it would be the same as it is now... Here it goes.

MSI K8N Diamond Plus
eVGA Geforce 7900GTX
FSP Group FX700-GLN 700W
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Toledo
2 x CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR 400 Twinx2048 (4 x 1gb= 4gb)
4 x Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
MSI PCI Wireless-G Combo Desktop Card + Bluetooth1.2
Razer PRO PAD Mouse Pad
Razer Copperhead Tempest Mouse
ViewSonic VX922 Black/Silver 19" 2ms LCD Monitor
Thermaltake Big Typhoon120mm Cooling Fan with Heatsink
Logitech G15 2-Tone USB Wired Standard Keyboard
LINKSYS WRT54GC IEEE 802.11b/g Wireless Router
Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound 12gram

I already have a Codegen 6099 Case that i like allot.
Please tell me any bottlnecs or any things i might change/add/remove, please coment on it as much as you can.

More about : build flaws

May 13, 2006 4:21:39 AM

Wow...Nice machine. I want your job! :wink:

I don't see any bottlenecks. Should work good.
May 13, 2006 4:27:59 AM

Is the 4gb useless??? having 4x1gb would still work the dual chanell?
Related resources
May 13, 2006 4:49:58 AM

The 4GB is probably overkill right now. It should still run in dual channel.

You probably won't be able to run at very tight timings though. Myself, i

would just put in 2GB. That's alot of memory to access, you may run into

latency issues with that much.
May 13, 2006 5:03:25 AM

Unless photo editing or video creation type stuff then, yes, it is worthless for TODAY... HOWEVER, it wont hurt it, most motherboards can support dual channel with 4 sticks, and if not dual channel is a very minor performance boost. And 4gb of ram will become useful in about a year, IMO, anyway. Just think of it as something you wont have to upgrade in the future.
May 13, 2006 5:39:35 AM

Yeah thats what i though about ram (i wont need to upgrade in the future.)
what you say about the PSU? Is it good? (its recomended by nvidiafor sli with that card, im planing to buy another 7900GTX when prices come down and theres a game a single 7900GTX cant handle it maxxed out.)

I was planning on buying other 2 ViewSonic VX922 and buying a Matrox TripleHead2Go, maybe wait until it comes out in DVI version... Any coment?

What you thing about the X2 4800+ / Arctic Silver 5 / Thermaltake Big Typhoon ?

Can i use the Arctic Silver 5 on the 1900GTX?? Ifso, is it of any help or is it usefull?

Thanks
May 13, 2006 7:55:58 AM

*ALERT*
I have this motherboard, it's an awsome motherboard, get this mortherboard, just do not run 4x1GB DIMMS on it.

On ANY motherbaoard 4x1GB will make your system run slower then if it had 2x1GB. The built in memory controller in the Athlon is very, very efficient with only two DIMMS populated (one on each channel), but if you add two more it slows thing down enough to negate any speed gain from having 4GB of RAM. On this board though it is even worse as the RAM will clock it's self to 333MHz and not allow you to raise it any higher if you are using 4 double sided DIMMs. 2GB of RAM is more then enough. If you don't have enough capacity it will slow your system down, adding more will speed up your system. If you have enough capacity adding more will not do anything for you and even slow it down because it is less efficient. 4GB of RAM is useless on any DDR platform as the most any motherboard supports is 4GB of RAM at 1GB per socket.

Get the board, it rocks, just don't run 4GB of RAM on any DDR board, especially this one.

EVGA for the videocard, nice choice.
May 13, 2006 8:02:41 AM

Quote:
*ALERT*
I have this motherboard, it's an awsome motherboard, get this mortherboard, just do not run 4x1GB DIMMS on it.

On ANY motherbaoard 4x1GB will make your system run slower then if it had 2x1GB. The built in memory controller in the Athlon is very, very efficient with only two DIMMS populated (one on each channel), but if you add two more it slows thing down enough to negate any speed gain from having 4GB of RAM. On this board though it is even worse as the RAM will clock it's self to 333MHz and not allow you to raise it any higher if you are using 4 double sided DIMMs. 2GB of RAM is more then enough. If you don't have enough capacity it will slow your system down, adding more will speed up your system. If you have enough capacity adding more will not do anything for you and even slow it down because it is less efficient. 4GB of RAM is useless on any DDR platform as the most any motherboard supports is 4GB of RAM at 1GB per socket.

Get the board, it rocks, just don't run 4GB of RAM on any DDR board, especially this one.

Can anyone else confirm this? Any1 else has had the same experience in this matter?
May 13, 2006 12:17:43 PM

yes for a typical desktop it is overkill.

A graphics / editing workstation will take advantage while working on raw picture formats, a server running vmware (memory is the limit of the # of vm sessions), database servers can allocate large portions of memory to the shared cache, a busy webserver can use a large ramdisk to speed up serving pages. NMS systems can also use a large ramdisk if they are logging *lots* of traffic into the ramdisk, and the system can parse it at high speed for reporting and / or inserting it into a database.

I am sure there are plenty of other scenarios where a lot of ram is useful, but your best bet is to remove 2gb and get the speed improvement.
May 13, 2006 2:05:58 PM

4gb can't be addressed by Windows (32bit) so is useless now anyway. However, this'll upgrade nicely to Vista.

This system is at a stage where the only real upgrade would be SLi, but I wouldn't bother as there's almost no point.

Those are all top spec components, so no real bottleneck.

If you have those 4 drives as a RAID0 1tb array, ask yourself if you really need that much space! Seriously, perhaps a mirroring array would be better off. 500gb is still a load more than most people have!
May 13, 2006 2:38:45 PM

Consult the manual for the mobo, should be available online. Allot of boards downclock the memory to like 333mhz if there are 4 dimms. Worst case scenario you take out 2 of the sticks of ram and set them aside for when you upgrade again, no harm done, since your getting them for free....kinda. I was looking at that same motherboard myself, I like that it has the sound blaster built in audio Ive had 2 boards lately with the realtek 97 or whatever and wasnt too satisfied with either. Goold luck!
May 13, 2006 5:10:51 PM

Quote:
4gb can't be addressed by Windows (32bit) so is useless now anyway. However, this'll upgrade nicely to Vista.

How about the windows 64 bit ?

Quote:

If you have those 4 drives as a RAID0 1tb array, ask yourself if you really need that much space! Seriously, perhaps a mirroring array would be better off. 500gb is still a load more than most people have!

I really Dont need 1Tb, but it doesn't hurt right? I am a RAID noob, but in this cases i usually go to wikipedia, and I found this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redundant_array_of_indepen...

So i thought a good thing could be using RAID 0+1, ar all in raid 0, what do you say? Im gonna use allot for gaming ofcourse but i will also use it for other things, video editing/internet/mail/storage/etc so i wouldn like to loose my stuff.
May 13, 2006 6:32:06 PM

Quote:
On ANY motherbaoard 4x1GB will make your system run slower then if it had 2x1GB.

Appending "unless that motherboard is dual-socket" I know it's nit-picking, but for those new people who may be building a behemoth for rendering/simulations/video/photos, just wanted to clarify. Essentiall, the goal is the same: 2 sticks per dual-channel controller. This does not apply to dual-core chips, as the ships themselves share a single memory controller.

Quote:
4gb can't be addressed by Windows (32bit) so is useless now anyway.

Quote:
How about the windows 64 bit ?

Well, while not all of the memory can be addressed by 32-bit Windows for a single process, with the /3GB boot parameter a single process can address up to 3 gigs of address space, offering some performance boost. Generally speaking though, it is better to use Windows x64 if you have that kinda memory requirements. If not, the benefits don't really outweight the issues with it (still incomplete driver support, missing 64-bit plugins requiring installing a 32-bit browser, and jmany32-bit-only programs that don't take advantage of the increased address space). You can of course trial it for free to see how well it works for you, just relaying my experiences using it when not in Linux. Then there's the memory re-mapping issue... don't ask...

Also, if you store anything on a RAID0 that cannot be easily restored, you are asking for trouble.
May 13, 2006 9:39:17 PM

Quote:

Yeah , that's a good point. Even better, too bad you couldn't trade one or

two of the 250's for a Raptor150, Raptor for OS, 2 or 3 250's either in

RAID 0, or even non-RAID for storage.
May 14, 2006 3:59:20 AM

I was wondering, maybe i could sell 2 of the drives and buy a raptor or 2 (trowing some money in it... ) But theres this friend who tells me raptor is useless, and all i have heard it does besides boot up faster is load game maps faster... so i think that spending 2,23 $ a gb for that its not worth it., if i did buy a Raptor, whats better, buy 2 74GB ones and place em in raid or buy just 1 150?
May 14, 2006 4:03:50 AM

I like your job. That is nice hardware but I dont think raptors are really that great. I mean if you have the money by all means go ahead but there are so much better things your cash could go too.
May 14, 2006 4:37:14 AM

i was never interested in raptors... i think ill better save up for a Viewsonic 922 and a triplehead2go and have me a very very nice desktop... Thank you guys for everything
May 14, 2006 4:58:14 AM

You could always get one more harddrive and do Raid5, fast and secure. Not as fast as raid0, but it would be awesome to have, probably need a raid card for that one. raid5 is alot more complicated than raid0 or raid1 so I would read up on it and make up your own mind on somethign like that.
May 14, 2006 5:02:00 AM

how about raid 0+1?
May 14, 2006 5:07:36 AM

my question is how the hell do you get a job that shovels out gaming systems, and what did you do to get it, just wondering, but that is a freaking badass system, i personally would do a raid 0+1, speed and security
May 14, 2006 5:18:17 AM

Quote:
my question is how the hell do you get a job that shovels out gaming systems, and what did you do to get it

i did a big favor for a guy who buys stuff in the US and sells them here, he gets the stuff at US price and he sells it here at 2x the price (and ppl DO buy it...) because that stuff doesnt come here in any other way... (i live in venezuela) so he get it "cheap". he owed me some money and that was his payment method, i could have refused ofcoarse but i got it at US price + Ship´ping to FL (Newegg price shipped) and was something i dreamed of, so i figured... what the heck.
if it wasnt that way i would have bought it a 2+ times the Price you guys pay....

Quote:
i personally would do a raid 0+1, speed and security

At last a direct answer, any one want to second that?
May 14, 2006 5:30:09 AM

o and one other thing i looked up how raid 5 worked and it seems to be a giant pain in th ass, most motherboards allow you to put drives into a raid in the bios so it isnt that hard, i know my mobo lets me do it if i had more then one drive. and i wish i had your job, sounds like a good profit margin.

$$$$$$$$ 8O :D 
May 14, 2006 5:32:02 AM

Did you read what he said? He said it wasn't his job, but his friends job. And second of all, on some of the nicer motherboards its quite easy to set raid 5 up on.

DDay
May 14, 2006 7:37:53 AM

Raid5, even if a motherboard supports it, would not be a good idea. Use a raid card. Since raid5 will take away from your CPU since it's more complicated than most raids, although you probably wouldn't be able to notice anything with a 4800+. And a raid card would probably be more efficient and faster. Also you could get pcix card and remove the pci bottleneck. HOWEVER, raid 0+1 would probably be better, less complicated, fast, secure. Simple. I don't know why I suggested raid5 in the first place :/ . Raid 0+1. Your sytsem is fine the way it is, only run it with 2gb of ram (sell the rest since it's DDR, you wont be able to use it in a future system... And yes, using more than 2x1gb would slow your system down. http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=463 Notice there is almost no difference between 1gb and 2gb? 4gb wont help.) Your motherboard isn't SLI, but if you wanted to upgrade graphics capabilities, get another 7900gtx and an sli motherboard. Raptors are overkill, and very expensive, loud(-er then most harddrives) and hot. I own those harddrives(250gb wd 7200rpm 16mb) infact, 2 of em in raid0, fast shit. You'll like em. I also have the samekeyboard, thats going to be a big showoff piece. One concern... power supply?
May 14, 2006 7:59:28 AM

Quote:
Raid5, even if a motherboard supports it, would not be a good idea. Use a raid card. Since raid5 will take away from your CPU since it's more complicated than most raids, although you probably wouldn't be able to notice anything with a 4800+. And a raid card would probably be more efficient and faster. Also you could get pcix card and remove the pci bottleneck. HOWEVER, raid 0+1 would probably be better, less complicated, fast, secure. Simple. I don't know why I suggested raid5 in the first place :/ . Raid 0+1.

Thanks for the info and help about raid, i will probably use raid0+1
Quote:
Your sytsem is fine the way it is, only run it with 2gb of ram (sell the rest since it's DDR, you wont be able to use it in a future system... And yes, using more than 2x1gb would slow your system down. http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=463 Notice there is almost no difference between 1gb and 2gb? 4gb wont help.)

Isnt there any way to get it work better with 4gb (i got allot of [i dont know how to say it in englis...?] i was happy with the idea of 4 gb :( ) i read on the mothwerboard manual that the 4x1gb will make it run in 333, but wouldnt it be justified for having 2 extra gigs?
Quote:
Your motherboard isn't SLI, but if you wanted to upgrade graphics capabilities, get another 7900gtx and an sli motherboard.

Im 100% sure that motherboard is sli (i think i erased that part from the first post when i wrote it) here is the lik from the product where it was bought:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...
and here at the manufacturer (MSI):
http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pr...
Quote:
Raptors are overkill, and very expensive, loud(-er then most harddrives) and hot. I own those harddrives(250gb wd 7200rpm 16mb) infact, 2 of em in raid0, fast ****. You'll like em.

I think the same bout raptors, as i have heard raptors dosn't benefit as much cpmpared to the extra $$ you pay... mmm just like a 4800+ / FX-60
its just not worth the extra bucks...
Quote:
I also have the samekeyboard, thats going to be a big showoff piece.

that keyboard at my local store (here in venezuela it costs 199$), but i got it in a nice deal, read above if interested :p 
i just love this keybd.
Quote:
One concern... power supply?

Whats wrong with my power supply? i researched a little about it and it is recomended by nvidia for 2 7900GTX in SLI, it has plenty of conectors, and it is 700wat, it has 4x 15amp 12v rails... and its nice, has good comments on newegg. really what i find more important is the Nvidia recomendation (and ofcoarse the 12v rails) but those factors are tied up one anoter... i do plan to buy another vid card, (maybe evga step up program for when the Geforce 8 comes out... but that would be another topic).
May 14, 2006 8:16:01 AM

Quote:
my question is how the hell do you get a job that shovels out gaming systems, and what did you do to get it

i did a big favor for a guy who buys stuff in the US and sells them here, he gets the stuff at US price and he sells it here at 2x the price (and ppl DO buy it...) because that stuff doesnt come here in any other way... (i live in venezuela) so he get it "cheap". he owed me some money and that was his payment method, i could have refused ofcoarse but i got it at US price + Ship´ping to FL (Newegg price shipped) and was something i dreamed of, so i figured... what the heck.
if it wasnt that way i would have bought it a 2+ times the Price you guys pay....

Quote:

May 14, 2006 8:20:24 AM

Quote:

Quote:

YES ... i'll second that...(sorry for double post....accident.)

Some dis the Raptors, but i say go that route.... They are beasts if set

up properly. Then RAID 0+1 for storage....not OS.
May 14, 2006 8:24:09 AM

Quote:

YES ... i'll second that...(sorry for double post....accident.)

Some dis the Raptors, but i say go that route.... They are beasts if set

up properly. Then RAID 0+1 for storage....not OS.

Well ill have to sell some stuff and check if i can afford it without going through a very hungry month
May 15, 2006 2:51:14 AM

My mistake, if the motherboard is SLI then pop in a 7900gtx for more graphics power, and the power supply is fine, I didn't see it mentioned in the initial specs first time around, after closer inspection... :oops:  . Everything looks good, as far as the ram... No, only way around using 4gb at high speeds is dual cpu (not dual core), as someone else mentioned, and most of those systems require ECC regeistered ram anyway. And you really wouldn't benefit from 4gb today. Hope I helped ^_^
!