Hard Drive Power Connection

BigR

Distinguished
May 13, 2006
Just purchased a new 550W PS from Logisys. The problem is the power connection for the hard drive does not fit. The old power supply's plug is a bit fatter at the bottom and has a metal clip. My question is if there is an adapter out there that will allow me to plug in my new PS correctly.

I purchased the PS so I could use my new 1800XT 512MB but I am dead in the water without this connection. My original supply is only around 300 watts.

Thanks

BigR

Distinguished
May 13, 2006
Thanks for your reply. I think that is just splitter for two power connections instead of one, although I could not find a description on the product. The blue led would go with my power supply though.

I have emailed newegg to see if they have an adapter for me since I bought the PS from them anyway.

I may also try Fry's.

uber_g

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2006
emm is it a Sata hard drive or does it use that big flat cable thing ( IDE ) ??

becuase IDE hard drive use a standard 4-pin Molex Connecter

and a SATA hard drive used, well a SATA power connecter

BigR

Distinguished
May 13, 2006
It is listed as a Serial ATA drive. Is that the same thing as a SATA drive? I don't know what the brand is. I purchased the computer new from HP about a month ago and the PS about 2 weeks later so they should be modern equipment.

theaxemaster

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
According to the logisys 550W PS on newegg, its got both SATA and molex connectors, so I don't see how you could be having a problem. I don't think there has been a HD made in the last 5 years that didn't use one of those connectors.

BigR

Distinguished
May 13, 2006
The plug that was used before is slightly larger at the bottom and has a metal clip to it on one side. The male end at the top sets to one side instead centered like the the new one. I can plug the new one in the slot, but it does not set snug and my HDD is not being recognized at start up.

The HP rep may have said something about it being a SATA 2 plug. Is there such a thing?