Recommended graphics for Crysis?

Primitivus

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
Just saw the image gallery of Crysis on TGDaily and it looks amazing. Has anyone any info on what would be a recommended GPU for that game? (At least for DX9?) Or do we have to wait for next gen graphics and DX10 to really enjoy what it has to offer?

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
So you see the first screenshots and expect hardware reccommendations?

If the screenshots were prerendered then you'll have to wait. If not, then you can imagine it using the best you can get right now - a sh!tload of RAM, FX60/62 and Quad-SLi. The best way to prepare for it is to start saving for G80.

Man did it ever look good, though.

tenaciousleydead

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2004
im sure it will support all mid ranged cards out today(dont know how well it will play). but dx10 is supposed to be what 8 times faster? so id deffinentally wait for dx10 cards. Peace.

uber_g

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2006
dang, no freakin way my 6800gs would run that game !

i have to save some money for vista and a DX10 card

crysis200605080223082964lt.jpg

that image makes me Cry

uber_g

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2006
from Pong to this !

i need a bigger monitor if im getting that game say 20 inch .. :D

everyone is going to be upgrading when those type of games come out

freakin amazing

nav_909

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
wouldn't it be more cost effective to buy a ps3 instead of a dx10card?, you've got to think about upgrading other parts of your system aswell.

onli a thought :)

uber_g

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2006
20" not with that gfx card :p trust me having a big hi-res screen is both a gift and a curse. sure it looks great but it takes a hell of alot of gfx power.

yeah -true

probly go SLi with some high-end cards for optimal resolution/Fps

:D

nav_909

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
@ stranger
not really you've got to remember that those specs are comletely tuned and dedicated to the system. i mean look at the ps2 for instance it has a 32mb vid card with a 350mhz cpu core, its still ok by todays standards.
And the ps3 HD support is tempting me :S. I cant really afford to keep updating my computer. My only concern is dx 10 and if it would be better than the ps3.

uber_g

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2006
PS3 is a waste , its going to cost to much

now with a computer , 1) its fun to build one 2) u know what the hell is in it 3) u cant upgrade a console platform, u must buy a whole new one

i never really liked Console's, i use my Xbox for a DVD player :/

mehh it dont matter to some people

Primitivus

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
Has anyone heard what they used to run the game for the screenshots? (Assuming it wasn't pre-rendered). Because TGDaily mentions they were using DX9 as DX10 is not out yet.

baddog1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
And the ps3 HD support is tempting me :S. I cant really afford to keep updating my computer.

Consoles come out every four or five years. Computers outperform them within six months, if not less. 'nuff said.

KingGreatYat

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
I reckon at minimum a Geforce FX/Radeon 9700 will be enough.
I think that you would get good performance/quality from todays mid to high range cards.

I have also read that it is running on DX9 and will when released. It will also take advantage of DX10.

Just because a game has wonderful pre release footage doesn't mean that it will have to look that good when you play. There have always been low quality settings and I'm sure that this is no exception. Heck, even fear will run on a GF4.

nav_909

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
I have found the link saying that the gameplay trailer was running on a single x1900.

http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/705/705150p3.html

For reference, the gameplay demo we were shown was running on an X1900 (not dual) so there is hope for us all this Winter. We just have to put our hopes in Microsoft that they release DirectX 10 sometime soon following Crysis.

wow i admit that really looks good considering that its just a x1900. I wonder what the next G80 or R600 cores can produce :S

-h2o-

Distinguished
May 14, 2006
DX10 will be fantastic news to gamers, however dont feel it will be essential to own a DX10 card to play the game.

It would not supprise me to much if it was as DX9 has not even been exploted to its maximum.

pauldh

Illustrious
I have found the link saying that the gameplay trailer was running on a single x1900.

Hey good deal, thanks. I hadn't seen it printed anywhere legit, just someone in a forum saying it was a X1900XTX. Amazing looking game; quite excited about this one from what little I know about it. This game seems to be as close as we will see to a farcry 2??? Rumors of farcry 2 never materialized and this seems to be the next project instead. Again, "looking good" is an understatement.

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Yeah this is as close as we will get to seeing far cry 2 as the far cry franchise was bought from Crytek by Ubisoft, and as Crytek is now an EA developer they aren't allowed to name it far cry 2 or use anything associated with the franchise. So Far Cry 2 is being developed by Ubisoft, but the spiritual successor to far cry is Crysis!

pauldh

Illustrious
I'm not crazy about the whole MSvista and probably not until next year thing. I've been through all the videos and the screenies, and want this game available as soon as I finish Oblivion. Not too much to ask is it? :roll:

I was a farcry nut from the day GeneticWeapon posted the demo link on this forum. And Jack Carver or not, this Crytec game (that maybe many of you have been thinking about for a while), is now catching my eye as the next game I really look forward to playing.

Consoles come out every four or five years. Computers outperform them within six months, if not less. 'nuff said.

Actually by the time the PS3 does finally get out it'll be pretty much two generations behind if you consider the HDR+AA a generation.

The PS3 will have the RSX GPU which is a crippled GF7900 basically;

http://www.beyond3d.com/#news29579

Which means no HDR+AA for the PS3 without doing 2 complete loops (no 2 pass savings because the FP blend is in the ROPs), while the Xbox 360 already has titles that use it smoothly. It'll look pretty good for the most part, but like the PS2 vs original Xbox the advanatage for graphics will go to M$ (although technically the GameCube's flipper chip was DX8.1 vs Xbox's DX8.0, but the flipper was very weak like a very slow R9000SE), and this time it looks like Xbox will also have the titles advantage based on time out on the market and what some developers have said is the ease of programming Xbox360 over PS3, and Nintendo will once again survive on the strength of it's Mario collection whihc makes it a strong contender for 2nd consolee in most people's house. Sony's advantage will be for playing old PS2 games (PSOne is out of contention, right?) so they will get alot of repeat business from people still playing old Metal Gear, Final Fantasy, etc.

By the time the PS3 gets out Xbox360 will likely start making use of it's hardware while the PS3 will just be launching it's first titles, and on the PC side the G80 and R600 will likely be out giving it the power and feature advantage over both (supossedly, since DX10 requirements are higher than the Xenos' feature set).

I'd say the PS3 is in a very VERY tough spot with a high price tag, lacking better features than the competition and right now looking like the titles aren't as compelling as even the Xbox, let alone the Nintendo (heck I might buy a Wii if it's cheap enough just for the Mario Galaxy (if I'm not still stuck with my nose buried in Oblivion [ski season ends next weekend so back to gaming in June! 8) ] )

Crysis is one of the best looking titles, and it's nice to see it looks THAT good using DX9.0C hardware since I don't expect DX10 laptops 'til well after Xmas and I'm not sure if I can wait that long. While FartCry was very linear, the shear beauty of this will make me try it (just like FartCry's beauty did), and I hope it's as good as he hype since by that time with all this Oblivion RPG time I'll likely be looking at some mindless gunplay to calm the nerves. :twisted:

Anywhoo to be brief, the PS3 will be nothing special, and only for things of the truely massive CPU draw will it excell, so perhaps those MMORPGs will benifit, but I doubt the FPS will see much benifit in the PS3 over the Xbox360.

I was a farcry nut from the day GeneticWeapon posted the demo link on this forum. And Jack Carver or not, this Crytec game (that maybe many of you have been thinking about for a while), is now catching my eye as the next game I really look forward to playing.

LOL!

Remember I LOVED the DEMO but HATED the GAME!
Just didn't have the story really. The visuals were fantastic, the AI was great, but lost interest too quickly, but at least I did finish it unlike D3 (which I was looking forward to more than HL2). HL2 was the only game that delivered to my expectations (although a little short) and I just hope that Crysis has a slightly better story line to drive me through the game.

I just wish I had played FarCry as multi-player, as you guys would likely have made it more interesting, but never had the time for it.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Just didn't have the story really. The visuals were fantastic, the AI was great, but lost interest too quickly, but at least I did finish it unlike D3 (which I was looking forward to more than HL2). HL2 was the only game that delivered to my expectations (although a little short) and I just hope that Crysis has a slightly better story line to drive me through the game.

Good point - all we're seeing here is pictures and yet people are already asking what card they should buy in order to play it! Did the same not happen with Doom3 (which ended up being a bit of a bummer?)

They say jump.....