sacoops

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Hi. I recently purchased a sapphire x850xt for my system.
P4 3.6GHz
1GB RAM
I am playing oblivion on it and i know that this game, even with top of the line GPUs, needs a lot of power. However, when roaming around the world outside of cities, and sometimes in buildings it is not uncommon for me to see a framerate of about 10. I don't have the graphics set to maximum, they are probably set at medium-high without AA. Does this sound right to anyone? Also with COD II i am getting a lower fps than expected with graphics at the default level. does this card support AA much?

Primitivus

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
The X850XT generally scales well with AA on but you should really keep it off for Oblivion. There's a bunch of settings you can tweak in that game and you should try different combinations. Also, find the .ini file in the game's root folder and change the Grass value from 80 to 110 or 120. However, try to keep view distance at 100% since it makes a huge difference to gameplay IMO

pauldh

Illustrious
The X850Xt is very strong at FSAA compared to other cards priced similarly. FSAA is where the card usually could show it's power vs. the 6800U and 7600GT. Problem is when you mention Oblivion and COD2, even the top cards struggle at times with max details and 12x10 resolution. Believe it or not, the X850XT is an Oblivion beast for it's price range. It easily beats the 7800GT in Oblivion when running fsaa and or bloom.

Problem is it's still no match for what Oblivion can dish out. It should be plenty the card for running 10x7 medium details with 4X fsaa/16X AF(set in drivers). 12x10 medium should be ok without fsaa, maybe even 2X aa depending on your exact detail levels. So yeah, your results sound right. You could see the settings Anand used in their medium detial section, or better yet just use tweakguides to adjust the best visual settings for your system. Obviously if you are running a native 12x10 LCD resolution, you will have to forget fsaa or lower the detials compared to running 10x7.

http://www.tweakguides.com/Oblivion_1.html

Primitivus

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
I play Oblivion on a Radeon X800XT PE, Athlon 64 3500+, 2Gig RAM, Audigy 2 Plat. and 1280x1024 TFT native res. My settings are: NO AA, 100% viewing distance, fades at 50% or slightly more, grass distance about 35% (and the value in the .ini file at 110), distant Land/Buildings/Water Ripples/Reflections ON, Shadows either OFF or less than 50%, distant trees OFF, Shadow filtering and Blood decals LOW and water detail Normal. Indoors there is absolutely no problem. Outdoors the game is far from scorching but it's definitely playable and it looks rather good. Since your GPU is more or less the same as mine you can use these settings as a starting point and see what suits you. But you will have to tweak a few things differently to cater for all the other factors that affect performance. Have fun

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
tweak, tweak & tweak again i am afraid (850xt, dont bother higher than 1024x768 res)

lights & shadows I turn low/off as well as FSAA/AA, test & if its a good FPS then turn thing up a bit...

thats what was so good with FEAR, it had a test your settings option in the setup...