P4-M laptop showing no picure even through external monitor

mad_fitzy

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
My mates Packard Bell laptop shows white vertical lines through the screen when you turn it on. No picture at all. So he hooked it up to an external monitor and the same thing happened. Im guessin its the video card and if it is, is there anything that can be done. It is out of warranty. Specs are:

P4-M 2.8ghz w/HT
512mb DDR333 1x512 stick
60 gig hdd
ATI Radeon 9600 64meg
(not sure what chipset it uses)

P.S. I looked on the Packard Bell site and i couldnt find his laptop due to the fact they dont have 2 or so year old models there any more. Thanks in advance for help guys.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
You are correct, it does appear to be the video card.

If it's still under warrenty just get it fixed.

Are there any beeps? Does the hard drive light come on?

Just about the only thing he can do is find out how much it will be for their repair depot to look at it. In all likelyhood it'll be expensive and he'll be better of selling it for parts and getting a new one.

Good luck though I had an IBM that had the screen crack under warranty but the outsourced depot didn't want to fix it and wanted me to pay for it ($1400 before labour) when the Laptop itself cost $2,000! So I know these things aren't cheap when you buy them, I'd suspect if there's no 'goodwil' on PB's part you're talking about $300-500US to fix, if it's indeed a blow VPU/VRAM/etc.