pentium D 805 cpu

rbnjr

Distinguished
May 13, 2006
im looking for a dual cpu motherboard to support the pent D 805 cpu, has anyone found one to do this?

Thanks much!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Intel was loosing too many Xeon sales to dually P3 systems around 6 years ago, and said "We will not allow any P4 desktops to be used in dual-processor systems" And so they didn't, and boards for two P4's don't exist because two P4's won't work together.

rbnjr

Distinguished
May 13, 2006
Pentium D proc, not P4. dual core model. its model 805 series of the dual core series. i want a mobo to hang 2 of these units on. i have not been able to find one.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I already gave you a precise enough answer, there are no Dual Socket board for any P4 based system whatsoever, including the Pentium D, because Intel designed the processors so as not to support this.

It can't be done. If someone did it, it wouldn't work. In order to make it work, you'd need a custom processor with SMP enabled, and probably a modified socket with one pin re-assigned.

Rustol3um

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
This is a very wise piece of advice....I just picked up an 805 for its OCing abilities but will also need a good MB as I don't see this proc as a long term solution and would eventually like to go the conroe route. As of now are there any MBs that support conroe on the market?

rbnjr

Distinguished
May 13, 2006
thanks for the tip, seems i might keep looking for a board and if there are not any, i may just get a dual proc server board and be happy. my goal is to build powerfull work station/server boxes that have at least 2 cpu's and gobs of ram. which combo's will be the best/fastest will be determined later. im just tired of putting off my purchases.

thanks again..

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, go ahead and keep listening to speculation, keep wasting your time looking for something that doesn't exist, and always always always ignore good advice. I'd quit offering, but this blatent disrespect is fodder for ridicule.

For everyone else: This guy quit listening when I said P4, it seems he doesn't realize that Pentium D's are dual-core Pentium 4's. LMAO! At the same time, he doesn't realize that LGA775 supported Prescott (P4) before it supported Smithfield (dual-core P4, er, P-D). Dual LGA775 boards don't exist because Intel has completely separated their single and dual socket products, calling the single-socket solution Pentium (4, D) and the dual and quad socket systems Xeon.

If you look at the price difference between a Pentium 4 (including the Pentium D) and Xeon, you'll see why Intel is so protective of their multi-socket tech. Refering to the history of the matter, Intel had previously viewed every dual-slot P3 sale as the loss of a dual-slot Xeon sale, and decided they were better off not competing with themselves...by blocking the use of dual Socket 423, 478, and 775 processors.

Now, poor rbnjr will probably squeel that he knew Pentium-D's were dual-core P4 and simply wanted to keep them apart because of some unique new technology, but were that the case he'd also realize that the same LGA775 socket is also used, and that Intel is still holding the reigns on which products support dual-socket configurations and which do not.

endyen

Splendid
Then again, he could get two dual core opterons, and actually get 4 cores worth of performance, rather than
show four CPUs because of HT
Having the better core, times four, seems smarter, but if he just wants to pretend, xeon is the way to go.