A Few Questions

November 4, 2004 7:55:34 AM

Greetings Everyone,

I have recently purchased the new Dell Axim x30 @ 624Mhz with the
Wi-Fi & BT built in. All I can say for that is WOW!!! What an upgrade
from a Handspring Deluxe... Awesome machine for the price.

But I do have a few questions as I am new to Mobile 2003 and the Axim.

1. Does anyone know if a SDIO WIRED network card exists? I have
searched high and low, and nothing. I saw from SDCard.com [
http://www.sdcard.com/usa/TextPage.asp?Page=5 ] that you can get an SDIO
card for just about everything, EXCEPT (ironically) a wired NIC. I
would think this could be handy to a network engineer or someone who
wants to have one device for multiple uses.

2. I have noticed that a few pictures of the Today screen on some sites
show the Start Menu with small icons at the top, then you get your fav
icons, recent icons, dividers, programs, settings, help, etc... How can
I completely customize my start menu like that? I mean the recent apps
are nice, however I'd rather organize with dividers and add my main apps
instead of my recent ones. The HOME section I find useless, so I rely
more on Programs from the start menu or my 7 favs at the top.
(Apparently I can only have 7 favs defined in the Start Menu, not sure
if that is a Dell thing or Mobile 2003 thing)

2a. Speaking of Recently used apps, is there a way to clear them?

3. When certain programs are installed they will sometimes install to
the root of the device. Should I assume that moving the folders and
redoing the shortcuts is a bad idea? Or can I just edit the registry
appropriately?

4. I know my handspring, there were neat shortcuts to do certain
things, like hold down contacts button to beam your business card. Are
there similar neat shortcuts for Pocket PC too?

And lastly, at least for this post.. :)

5. When re-encoding a movie (MPG or AVI) to WMV using WM Encoder, what
will give my optimal settings for a SMALL footprint movie? I have tried
some 700mb AVI files and tried to get them on my 128mb SD card, and they
always compress to like 130+mb.. just that much shy of fitting. I have
seen some posts that people have done it, I just was curious to see some
more specific tutorials or info. :)

Whew, ok thank you for being patient reading all that. I know it was a
lot, but I appreciate all the help I can get!
Thanks so far! :)

--Bladez

More about : questions

November 4, 2004 11:15:48 AM

On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 04:55:34 GMT, Bladez wrote:

> Greetings Everyone,
>
> I have recently purchased the new Dell Axim x30 @ 624Mhz with the
> Wi-Fi & BT built in. All I can say for that is WOW!!! What an upgrade
> from a Handspring Deluxe... Awesome machine for the price.
>
> But I do have a few questions as I am new to Mobile 2003 and the Axim.
>
> 1. Does anyone know if a SDIO WIRED network card exists? I have
> searched high and low, and nothing. I saw from SDCard.com [
> http://www.sdcard.com/usa/TextPage.asp?Page=5 ] that you can get an SDIO
> card for just about everything, EXCEPT (ironically) a wired NIC. I
> would think this could be handy to a network engineer or someone who
> wants to have one device for multiple uses.
>
> 2. I have noticed that a few pictures of the Today screen on some sites
> show the Start Menu with small icons at the top, then you get your fav
> icons, recent icons, dividers, programs, settings, help, etc... How can
> I completely customize my start menu like that? I mean the recent apps
> are nice, however I'd rather organize with dividers and add my main apps
> instead of my recent ones. The HOME section I find useless, so I rely
> more on Programs from the start menu or my 7 favs at the top.
> (Apparently I can only have 7 favs defined in the Start Menu, not sure
> if that is a Dell thing or Mobile 2003 thing)
>
> 2a. Speaking of Recently used apps, is there a way to clear them?
>
> 3. When certain programs are installed they will sometimes install to
> the root of the device. Should I assume that moving the folders and
> redoing the shortcuts is a bad idea? Or can I just edit the registry
> appropriately?
>
> 4. I know my handspring, there were neat shortcuts to do certain
> things, like hold down contacts button to beam your business card. Are
> there similar neat shortcuts for Pocket PC too?
>
> And lastly, at least for this post.. :)
>
> 5. When re-encoding a movie (MPG or AVI) to WMV using WM Encoder, what
> will give my optimal settings for a SMALL footprint movie? I have tried
> some 700mb AVI files and tried to get them on my 128mb SD card, and they
> always compress to like 130+mb.. just that much shy of fitting. I have
> seen some posts that people have done it, I just was curious to see some
> more specific tutorials or info. :)
>

> Whew, ok thank you for being patient reading all that. I know it was a
> lot, but I appreciate all the help I can get!
> Thanks so far! :)
>
> --Bladez

i suggest u try out journal bar..
Anonymous
November 4, 2004 12:33:35 PM

> 2. I have noticed that a few pictures of the Today screen on some
sites
> show the Start Menu with small icons at the top, then you get your fav
> icons, recent icons, dividers, programs, settings, help, etc... How
can
> I completely customize my start menu like that? I mean the recent apps
> are nice, however I'd rather organize with dividers and add my main
apps
> instead of my recent ones. The HOME section I find useless, so I rely
> more on Programs from the start menu or my 7 favs at the top.
> (Apparently I can only have 7 favs defined in the Start Menu, not sure
> if that is a Dell thing or Mobile 2003 thing)

Open the file explorer on your Dell and navigate to the folder windows ->
start menu. There are the shortcuts to thoise seven programs you mean.
Just long-click them and choose delete to delete them. Next go, still in
file explorer, to the program folder where the program you want a
shortcut for is, longclick on the program file and select "copy". Then go
back to windows -> start menu, longclick on an empty spot and select
"paste as shortcut".
It is a bit of an awesome job, but in this way you create shortcuts in
that startmenu straight from the program files. An alternative way is to
move or copy shortcuts to that folder. They are propably located in
windows -> start menu -> programs. Longclick to copy or cut the desired
one, go to target folder and simply paste them. With "copy" you actually
copy them, while using "cut" makes you move the shortcut.
The limit to seven items is a windows-thing.

> 3. When certain programs are installed they will sometimes install to
> the root of the device. Should I assume that moving the folders and
> redoing the shortcuts is a bad idea? Or can I just edit the registry
> appropriately?
When installing you can choose either to install software either in its
default folder, or in a folder of your liking. Most programs run without
any problems from memory-card, at least: when the card is present in the
machine of course. All you have to do is answer "no" to the question to
install in the default folder, and then select the memorycard instead.
That's a lot easier than hassling the registry. The surest way is
uninstall what you want moved and reinstall where you want.
If, by uninstalling, "ghost shortcuts" remain in your startmenu, remove
them with your file-explorer. Now you know where the shortcuts sit, so
that shouldn't be any problem anymore.

> 4. I know my handspring, there were neat shortcuts to do certain
> things, like hold down contacts button to beam your business card. Are
> there similar neat shortcuts for Pocket PC too?

Check "settings" - "buttons". Certain tasks can be assigned to the
buttons on your machine.

> Whew, ok thank you for being patient reading all that. I know it was a
> lot, but I appreciate all the help I can get!
> Thanks so far! :)
>
> --Bladez

You're welcome.

--
SoftSpot
softspot_ihatespam_brugge@hotmail.com

(just remove the spamstatement
and one underscore
to respond personally,
but please keep it friendly,
I'm only human too)
November 4, 2004 5:49:00 PM

> 1. Does anyone know if a SDIO WIRED network card exists? I have
> searched high and low, and nothing. I saw from SDCard.com [
> http://www.sdcard.com/usa/TextPage.asp?Page=5 ] that you can get an SDIO
> card for just about everything, EXCEPT (ironically) a wired NIC. I
> would think this could be handy to a network engineer or someone who
> wants to have one device for multiple uses.

I have never found it, and if sdcard.com says it, I believe it is true. I
guess the whole point is that it would be cheaper to buy a Wireless AP and
plug it on the network than to buy such a card.

> 2. I have noticed that a few pictures of the Today screen on some sites
> show the Start Menu with small icons at the top, then you get your fav
> icons, recent icons, dividers, programs, settings, help, etc... How can
> I completely customize my start menu like that? I mean the recent apps
> are nice, however I'd rather organize with dividers and add my main apps
> instead of my recent ones. The HOME section I find useless, so I rely
> more on Programs from the start menu or my 7 favs at the top.
> (Apparently I can only have 7 favs defined in the Start Menu, not sure
> if that is a Dell thing or Mobile 2003 thing)

In the pictures that you have seen, probably the devices are using Wisbar,
ICBar, Pocket Plus or some software like these.

> 2a. Speaking of Recently used apps, is there a way to clear them?

No way that I know.

> 3. When certain programs are installed they will sometimes install to
> the root of the device. Should I assume that moving the folders and
> redoing the shortcuts is a bad idea? Or can I just edit the registry
> appropriately?

Usually programs install to the \Program Files directory, or to the root of
memory cards. Programs that install to the root of the main memory are
result of bad programming and should not be used.

--
Helio Diamant - MS/MVP Mobile Devices
http://www.pocketpcfreak.com

"Bladez" <I_REALLY_HATE_SPAM_@_HOME.COM> wrote in message
> Greetings Everyone,
>
> I have recently purchased the new Dell Axim x30 @ 624Mhz with the
> Wi-Fi & BT built in. All I can say for that is WOW!!! What an upgrade
> from a Handspring Deluxe... Awesome machine for the price.
>
> But I do have a few questions as I am new to Mobile 2003 and the Axim.
>
> 1. Does anyone know if a SDIO WIRED network card exists? I have
> searched high and low, and nothing. I saw from SDCard.com [
> http://www.sdcard.com/usa/TextPage.asp?Page=5 ] that you can get an SDIO
> card for just about everything, EXCEPT (ironically) a wired NIC. I
> would think this could be handy to a network engineer or someone who
> wants to have one device for multiple uses.
>
> 2. I have noticed that a few pictures of the Today screen on some sites
> show the Start Menu with small icons at the top, then you get your fav
> icons, recent icons, dividers, programs, settings, help, etc... How can
> I completely customize my start menu like that? I mean the recent apps
> are nice, however I'd rather organize with dividers and add my main apps
> instead of my recent ones. The HOME section I find useless, so I rely
> more on Programs from the start menu or my 7 favs at the top.
> (Apparently I can only have 7 favs defined in the Start Menu, not sure
> if that is a Dell thing or Mobile 2003 thing)
>
> 2a. Speaking of Recently used apps, is there a way to clear them?
>
> 3. When certain programs are installed they will sometimes install to
> the root of the device. Should I assume that moving the folders and
> redoing the shortcuts is a bad idea? Or can I just edit the registry
> appropriately?
>
> 4. I know my handspring, there were neat shortcuts to do certain
> things, like hold down contacts button to beam your business card. Are
> there similar neat shortcuts for Pocket PC too?
>
> And lastly, at least for this post.. :)
>
> 5. When re-encoding a movie (MPG or AVI) to WMV using WM Encoder, what
> will give my optimal settings for a SMALL footprint movie? I have tried
> some 700mb AVI files and tried to get them on my 128mb SD card, and they
> always compress to like 130+mb.. just that much shy of fitting. I have
> seen some posts that people have done it, I just was curious to see some
> more specific tutorials or info. :)
>

> Whew, ok thank you for being patient reading all that. I know it was a
> lot, but I appreciate all the help I can get!
> Thanks so far! :)
>
> --Bladez
Anonymous
November 4, 2004 9:36:40 PM

To clear all recently used apps, start the program "switcher bar" which can
be found by pressing the "home" key on your PPC. When the switcher bar is
running (which will run until a reset) you can chose to exit apps, or "exit
all"

Hope this helps

MIKE T

!