need to find way to just ring phone (voice / data transmis..

Is there a way to just ring a phone number using VOIP without going
through any of the big POTS/VOIP companies? What hardware would be
necessary?

I am looking for an extremely cheap way to simply ring a phone, I
don't really care what the technology is. The only requirement is that
I could do it over IP from a server using a standard ethernet card and
preferably without an expensive modem.

Sorry for my sophmoric knowledge on this subject, hopefully somebody
can help.

If it is an absolute necessity to go through a POTS/VOIP company which
one has an API so my programming code can dial numbers. Which service
has the dirt cheapest unlimited long distance service?

Thanks,
Tom
5 answers Last reply
More about need find ring phone voice data transmis

    Thomas Miller wrote:

    > Is there a way to just ring a phone number using VOIP without going
    > through any of the big POTS/VOIP companies? What hardware would be
    > necessary?

    > I am looking for an extremely cheap way to simply ring a phone, I
    > don't really care what the technology is. The only requirement is that
    > I could do it over IP from a server using a standard ethernet card and
    > preferably without an expensive modem.

    > Sorry for my sophmoric knowledge on this subject, hopefully somebody
    > can help.

    > If it is an absolute necessity to go through a POTS/VOIP company which
    > one has an API so my programming code can dial numbers. Which service
    > has the dirt cheapest unlimited long distance service?

    > Thanks,
    > Tom
    If you want to ring an analog phone that's connected to a PSTN (POTS
    line), there is no way you can get around a VoIP/POTS gateway. If you only
    want to generate a ring on a PC that's connected to Internet, get yourself
    two Skype accounts and ring the other account all day long for free. As a
    by-product of this setup you'll also be able to actually talk to the other
    PC!
    Skype is easy to find: http://www.skype.com/
    Good luck!

    --
    Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD
    http://www.cabling-design.com

    http://www.cabling-design.com/forums

    Thanks.
    Can you tell me what the dirt cheapest VOIP provider that will do this?
    What VOIP providers are accessible through an API?

    thomasamillergoogle@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Thanks.
    > Can you tell me what the dirt cheapest VOIP provider that will do this?
    > What VOIP providers are accessible through an API?

    On a cisco router, check out the "csim start 'telephone number'"
    option...allows you to place a no-audio call through a gateway to test
    connectivity.

    Thanks for the command. I googled for it and see that it is an
    undocumented command on the cisco router.

    My computer application that will use voip to take advantage of the
    "unlimited long distance for X dollars". The application will ring the
    phones of people who sign up using the csim start 'telephone number'
    command you informed me of.

    1) What is the cheapest cisco router that supports the csim start
    'telephone number' command?

    2) If my program is going to be issuing the commands, would it be
    better to have a PCI based cisco router or a standalone router?

    3) How will my program issue the csim start 'telephone number'
    command? telnet to the router and issue it? How do you reccommend I do
    this programatically?

    3) will vonage support the "csim start 'telephone number'" command?

    4) is there anybody you reccommend over vonage?

    5) any thoughts or suggestions?

    Thx,

    Tom

    53 byte enthusiast wrote:
    > thomasamillergoogle@yahoo.com wrote:
    > > Thanks.
    > > Can you tell me what the dirt cheapest VOIP provider that will do
    this?
    > > What VOIP providers are accessible through an API?
    > >
    > On a cisco router, check out the "csim start 'telephone number'"
    > option...allows you to place a no-audio call through a gateway to
    test
    > connectivity.
  5. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

    Free world dial?

    no?

    need hardware or at least something.
    ok maybe not a great idea. I thought I would mention it

    m.

    thomasamillergoogle@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Thanks for the command. I googled for it and see that it is an
    > undocumented command on the cisco router.
    >
    > My computer application that will use voip to take advantage of the
    > "unlimited long distance for X dollars". The application will ring the
    > phones of people who sign up using the csim start 'telephone number'
    > command you informed me of.
    >
    > 1) What is the cheapest cisco router that supports the csim start
    > 'telephone number' command?
    >
    > 2) If my program is going to be issuing the commands, would it be
    > better to have a PCI based cisco router or a standalone router?
    >
    > 3) How will my program issue the csim start 'telephone number'
    > command? telnet to the router and issue it? How do you reccommend I do
    > this programatically?
    >
    > 3) will vonage support the "csim start 'telephone number'" command?
    >
    > 4) is there anybody you reccommend over vonage?
    >
    > 5) any thoughts or suggestions?
    >
    > Thx,
    >
    > Tom
    >

    > 53 byte enthusiast wrote:
    >
    >>thomasamillergoogle@yahoo.com wrote:
    >>
    >>>Thanks.
    >>>Can you tell me what the dirt cheapest VOIP provider that will do
    >
    > this?
    >
    >>>What VOIP providers are accessible through an API?
    >>>

    >>On a cisco router, check out the "csim start 'telephone number'"
    >>option...allows you to place a no-audio call through a gateway to
    >
    > test
    >
    >>connectivity.

VPN Phones VoIP Networking