VoIP units on eBay - any info..?

Just seen this on eBay, anyone have any more info..? Will they work with a
SIP account..?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5735762468

Ivor
3 answers Last reply
More about voip units ebay info

    do you really want 18???
    "Ivor Jones" <this.address@notvalid.inv> wrote in message

    > Just seen this on eBay, anyone have any more info..? Will they work with a
    > SIP account..?
    >
    > http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5735762468
    >

    > Ivor

    Derek Clarke wrote:

    [Top posting corrected]

    > "Ivor Jones" <this.address@notvalid.inv> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Just seen this on eBay, anyone have any more info..? Will they
    >> work with a SIP account..?
    >>
    >> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5735762468

    > do you really want 18???

    No, but a group of us are considering them.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones wrote:

    > Just seen this on eBay, anyone have any more info..? Will they work
    > with a
    > SIP account..?

    > http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5735762468

    > Ivor

    This device has been first introduced to the market in Feb. 1999
    Coincidentally, SIP protocol has just been approved in Feb. 1999. I would
    suspect that it did take the manufacturer (Viennasys) a year to develop
    the unit, so it is highly unlikely that it would use SIP as a protocol of
    choice. Anyways, it is not in the list of the officially supported
    standards for the unit (says the eBay page).
    The manufacturer has long vanished, and little info is available on the
    device other then press-releases. Unless you'll do heavy Googling to find
    someone that hacked into the unit and tweaked the firmware to add SIP
    support (if the guts are up to the task, of course), you are out of luck
    on any reasonable VoIP implementation based on this device.

    BTW, note that it specifically says "Embedded ClientSide Module (ECM)"
    which implies that there might also be a server side device needed for
    this one to work. Just guessing... Your call.

    --
    Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD
    http://www.cabling-design.com

    http://www.cabling-design.com/forums