VoIP units on eBay - any info..?

Last response: in Networking
December 5, 2004 2:25:23 AM

Just seen this on eBay, anyone have any more info..? Will they work with a
SIP account..?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=57...

Ivor

More about : voip units ebay info

Anonymous
December 5, 2004 9:48:08 AM

do you really want 18???
"Ivor Jones" <this.address@notvalid.inv> wrote in message

> Just seen this on eBay, anyone have any more info..? Will they work with a
> SIP account..?
>
> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=57...
>

> Ivor

Anonymous
December 5, 2004 2:34:14 PM

Derek Clarke wrote:

[Top posting corrected]

> "Ivor Jones" <this.address@notvalid.inv> wrote in message
>>
>> Just seen this on eBay, anyone have any more info..? Will they
>> work with a SIP account..?
>>
>> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=57...

> do you really want 18???

No, but a group of us are considering them.

Ivor
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 5:17:55 AM

Ivor Jones wrote:

> Just seen this on eBay, anyone have any more info..? Will they work
> with a
> SIP account..?

> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=57...

> Ivor

This device has been first introduced to the market in Feb. 1999
Coincidentally, SIP protocol has just been approved in Feb. 1999. I would
suspect that it did take the manufacturer (Viennasys) a year to develop
the unit, so it is highly unlikely that it would use SIP as a protocol of
choice. Anyways, it is not in the list of the officially supported
standards for the unit (says the eBay page).
The manufacturer has long vanished, and little info is available on the
device other then press-releases. Unless you'll do heavy Googling to find
someone that hacked into the unit and tweaked the firmware to add SIP
support (if the guts are up to the task, of course), you are out of luck
on any reasonable VoIP implementation based on this device.

BTW, note that it specifically says "Embedded ClientSide Module (ECM)"
which implies that there might also be a server side device needed for
this one to work. Just guessing... Your call.

--
Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD
http://www.cabling-design.com

http://www.cabling-design.com/forums