Back again! Revisiting the Would appreciate Advice.....

52Chevylvr

Distinguished
May 8, 2006
Here's my first post:

Hi all. I would appreciate any insight you might give on my problem.

System:
PCchips M811 series MB
AMD 800 Duron CPU
Maxtor Diamond Max Plus 8 20G ATA133 HDD
PC2100 512M
ATI Rage 128
CDDVD combo

I put in the new motherboard and used the CPU and HD from my old system. I get through the post (mem checks O.K.), then nothing, just hangs with the cursor blinking on the black screen with the post info. Everything is recognized correctly: CPU, HD, CDDVD, Mem, yet no boot into Windows (HD has ME on it) Wink

I've downloaded boot disks and tried to boot from the CD, yet no go (I'm downloading from an Apple~make a difference?). I've switched cables, changed boot preferences in BIOS, made the HD a slave, CD primary boot, cleared the BIOS .yada, yada...still no go.
From other posts here, it sounds as if I have to reinstall Windows?

I do want to get a new PS, I have a 300W, yet, I've had it for years and it seems to be making some grumbling noises Wink

Any thoughts or steps to take from you learned souls would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

UPDATE: Got Windows XP Home for a full install. 1 problem....the computer won't boot from the CD. Still hangs with cursor blinking with info from POST. All info is correct and hardware recognized. Changed BIOS to boot from CD. Changed cables, changed CD drives.... NO GO!! Any suggestions? Could it just be a bad motherboard? I did get a new PS (380 W) Antec.
Thanks in advance.....I'm getting a tad frustrated here......

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
Make sure you are using CS or M/S but not on the same ide cable. Should be a 80 cond. I would install the HD on the Pri controller set as master. The CD on the Sec ide controller as master. I have seen some mb prefer m/s over cs.

Do you have a std cd not combo unit to try?

When burning ISO image file from Toast, You have to open the file, Not drag and drop. There is a option for burning ISO image files, dont remember where I saw it at. Mac users are custom to drag and drop, burning iso images does not work that way.

Reset the bios back to factory settings. See if it will boot from a floppy disk. If you have a different MB, the drivers on ME will not like it. And will have to reload the OS.

When you installed the heatsink on the CPU did you use Artic Ag5 or thermal pad?

Good luck.

52Chevylvr

Distinguished
May 8, 2006
Hi Blue~
CD and HDD are on separate cables. Tried CS and Master jumpers for both in different combinations. It SEES the HDD and CD, yet will not boot from the CD when order is changed in BIOS. The CD spins, yet no boot for a clean install of the OS. Will not boot from the floppy either when I change the boot order in BIOS. Same thing happens: It's as if it's reading the floppy, yet does not produce. It just hangs after post with all the hardware specs and IRQ assignments on the screen and then a blinking cursor.

I purchased the OEM of Windows XP Home and got the manual off it by using the Apple. All files look to be there on the CD....

I reset the BIOS, same thing happens...Post, all info, blinking cursor, no boot, no nothing.

When I installed the CPU, I used Artic...

I did try another CD drive (not a combo)....same thing...

Thanks for listening (reading :wink: ) and your advice. Any other thoughts would be appreciated....

52Chevylvr

Distinguished
May 8, 2006
I'd love to update the BIOS, yet, I can't get my floppy or CD to execute a program....... there's something a miss here......hmmmmmmm....

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
Are you using 80 or 40 cond cables?
I had a old computer about you vintage that would not boot. Was tied down that the controller wanted a 40 cond cable. I have seen many old computers that do not like EIDE interface. Then their was another one that needed the 80 cond. On some of the old MB the ide had all 40 pins. The newer ones have 39, one removed.

Something to try.

52Chevylvr

Distinguished
May 8, 2006
Tried with 80 and 40. All the different combinations. No go. The MB did recognize when I didn't have an 80 connected to the HD......

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
Does the floppy disk light stay on during boot?
Do you here it check the floppy for disk? The bios will not give an error on the fd.

I think it time to RMA the MB. I don't know what else to try. Have you tried it with everything out side the case.

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Does the floppy disk light stay on during boot?
Do you here it check the floppy for disk? The bios will not give an error on the fd.

I think it time to RMA the MB. I don't know what else to try. Have you tried it with everything out side the case.

If the floppy light stays on all the time it means your floppy cable is backwards. So OP check that as Blue suggests. I agree too, I think its time for RMA the board.

52Chevylvr

Distinguished
May 8, 2006
The floppy light does stay on during boot and after it hangs with the cursor blinking after POST. Switched cable on the floppy and it gave me an error. Switched the cable back, light stays on. I hear it do the floppy seek. I have BIOS set to boot to CD with the OS in the drive.

Will try it with everything out 'cept CPU, RAM, and video....

BTW, Is RMA anything akin to SOL? :wink:

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
The floppy light does stay on during boot and after it hangs with the cursor blinking after POST. Switched cable on the floppy and it gave me an error. Switched the cable back, light stays on. I hear it do the floppy seek. I have BIOS set to boot to CD with the OS in the drive.

Will try it with everything out 'cept CPU, RAM, and video....

BTW, Is RMA anything akin to SOL? :wink:

It's time to RMA. You send the board back, they send you a (usually) refurb board in return.

52Chevylvr

Distinguished
May 8, 2006
Hey all! I RMA'd my SOL MB! Got a new one....WORKS WONDERFULLY!!! I want to thank you all that replied to my post. I learned quite a bit! Thank you all very much!

Hey Blue, your name just registered :D Howse your F100? :wink: