shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Hey all, I am going to make a Pentium D 805 system, what would you guys change?
(Please no AMD fanboys trying to get me to go Opteron).
The prices are in Australian Dollars, so the total is around US$1823.

http://img109.imageshack.us/my.php?image=erjuerber231ey.jpg

Well considering the case does not come with a PSU that might give you some trouble. Get a PSU of at least 600W. If you plan to overclock it greater than 3.5, you need to go watercooling.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
If you plan on OCing buy an after market CPU cooler something that does a better job then the stock one and if you want to go over 3.6Ghz water cooling wouldnt be a bad idea. Also 500 Watts is plenty unless your going SLI with 2 7900GTX's and even then if its a good 500 watt you will be fine :) but of course more wattage is usualy better (as always stick with the good known brands as some of the skeezy ones will say 600 or 700 watts only to be realy 500 or less...)

ThunderGodThor

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
Well id say a min of 600 watt PS cause the 805 sure runs hot and needs a hell of a lot of juice. 250 watt at 3.8. As also said after market cooler. One thing i would recomend is an opty 165. Most can do 2.6 which is fx-60 speeds and at that speed the fx-60 still beat out the 805 on a lot of tests. Some have been know to go up to 2.8 and 3.0.

azrealhk

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
After the 805 overclock article I wanted to try my hand at a 805 OC system.

However after sourcing around, the extra price in good quality MB,faster RAM, heat sing and Power supply, I could have bought another relatively good system, without out needing to overclock.

I think the price/performance is not really that good when you consider the whole system.

I would like very much to see how you fair out with your configuration

Rustol3um

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
the problem is whether or not he will be able to drop a conroe into the system.......my feeling, after reading several posts on the internet, is that he will not be able to drop a conroe in even with a bios update.....as there are no conroe ready MBs availible at this time......if there are, someone please point me in the right direction

Rustol3um

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
If you plan on OCing buy an after market CPU cooler something that does a better job then the stock one and if you want to go over 3.6Ghz water cooling wouldnt be a bad idea. Also 500 Watts is plenty unless your going SLI with 2 7900GTX's and even then if its a good 500 watt you will be fine :) but of course more wattage is usualy better (as always stick with the good known brands as some of the skeezy ones will say 600 or 700 watts only to be realy 500 or less...)

also note that you will not be able to go SLI with that mother board as it only supports Xfire unless you intend to hack the bios..and I dont' think that is such a hot idea.....anyway I would go with a 1900XT.....or 1900XTX crossfire edition if you want to have dual GPUs....

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
the problem is whether or not he will be able to drop a conroe into the system.......my feeling, after reading several posts on the internet, is that he will not be able to drop a conroe in even with a bios update.....as there are no conroe ready MBs availible at this time......if there are, someone please point me in the right direction

hmmm... i guess that was my mistake, i had my doubts about it, but i guess i shouldn't have assumed and believed those things said... we'll find out later if anything though.

I would say on based on the package and bus that conroe will be more compatible then Intel is letting on. I think they are doing that becouse they dont want everyone to get all worked up about it and when it doesnt work with 100% of the socket 775 bourds everyone getting all pissy about it. The voltages for it are even less so as long as the mobo's can supply the right voltage it should be ok :)