frango9000

Distinguished
May 13, 2006
I know the cables that come with the motherboards aren't SATA 2 but Sata 150... is there a true diference between Sata 2 and sata 150 cables? or is it bull? if its true, why would the motherboard manufacturers offer sata 2 capabilities if you cant really use it because of the cables... and if it isnt true that sata 2 cables work at fully 3,0 gb/s ill go higher: why would sata 2 be invented/released if theres no difference between sata 150 because of the cables?

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Whooooaaaa there... :) Slow down just a bit... you're running all those questions together so I can't tell what to answer. :)

To the best of my knowledge, the cables are the same in SATA '1' and 2 for internal use. SATA 2 specified cables for external use that are shielded, but that's for outside the PC, not inside. Inside the PC the same cables are used as before.

Mike.

drn00bslayer

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
i think so too. The cabeles are the same for internal drives wether they are SATA "1" or "2". Furthermore there is hardly a speed difference between the two standards, because even the fastest drives cannot saturate the interface. e.g. the fastest SATA drive currently in existence ist the 150GB Raptor from Western Digital. It however uses a SATA 150 interface.

frango9000

Distinguished
May 13, 2006
i think so too. The cabeles are the same for internal drives wether they are SATA "1" or "2". Furthermore there is hardly a speed difference between the two standards, because even the fastest drives cannot saturate the interface. e.g. the fastest SATA drive currently in existence ist the 150GB Raptor from Western Digital. It however uses a SATA 150 interface.

So sata 2 is (for now) useless and imposible to use it at its "max"?

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006

So sata 2 is (for now) useless and imposible to use it at its "max"?

Well you will never get the max speed of the interface. The best ATA 133 drives can barely push 70MB/sec of data transfer. For now, basically SATA 1 and 2 are functionally the same with limited differences. So yes to your question.