GunnerMac

Distinguished
May 14, 2006
I have a GA-K8U-939 motherboard with a amd64 3700, 1GB ram, Nvidia 7800 gs, running windows xp x64, and my comp is really finicky, and I really don't know why, what could cause this? I would think that this would be a good setup, but I have had it crash multiple times, and it is generally unstable, and does not perform well, the two things that worry me is that I bought cheap ram, and when I first got it my power supply blew up, but it did not seem anything else was harmed, so i bought another one and it seemed fine, but lately it seems that my comp is getting worse, no system crashes but it seems to freeze for a sec when switching in between programs, i have searched hard for all the newest drivers, and i got the newest bios, I am really just lost could someone help me please

ecosoft

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004
GunnerMac Dude :)

When a PS croaks catastrophically it can fry numerous components. A few years ago I had a KVM (Beldin) literally go up in smoke on my desk following boot-up. I thought "how da' F did a KVM fry itself? It doesn't handle lots of power (mouse, keyboard, display signals, and in this case audio signals also) Nonetheless, the KVM, mobo, vid card, memory, fax card, scsi card, promise RAID card ALL fried! So, I postulate that a PS croaking could and likely would do similar damage. A flaky system, when you KNOW the OS is clean and ya' have new memory can only mean the mobo is flaky.

smeghead4269

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
I agree with ecosoft, as I've also seen the damage a power supply can do when it goes BOOM. Customer sends his system in for repair, saying the power supply died. We discovered that only the CPUs and the RAM survived the wrath of that power supply when it blew. "Oh, you thought you were gonna get 12 volts?" says the PSU. "No way, you're getting 40. Eat it!" Board, CD, floppy, two hard drives, all were either flaky or completely dead.