Bob Headrick; ? on 7960

ET

Distinguished
May 1, 2004

Is there a preferred way to tell which of the three cartridges (#56,
57, or 58) would be at fault? When changing cartridges (refilled) and
the calibration printing is done, there may be a color(s) missing or
the color may be faint. Normally, I change both #57 & #58 at the same
time and end up swapping out several cartridges to find one printing
properly. Usually letting the cartridge sit in printer overnight (air
bubbles probably) cures problems but I still don't know which
cartridge was giving me the problem.
Thanks,

"ET" <someone@mars.com> wrote in message
> Is there a preferred way to tell which of the three cartridges (#56,
> 57, or 58) would be at fault?

You can take two of the cartridges out and print a test page with a single
cartridge at a time. That would let you figure out which has the problem.

- Bob Headrick, not speaking for my employer HP

steveb

Distinguished
May 11, 2003

Does the 43-Tap method work on the 7960? This tests every jet on my 5550
which uses the same cartridges, each ink colour is printed in it's own small
area so that it's easy to spot u/s jets and which cartridge they belong to.
Hold the power button down while also pressing the Cancel button 4 times
followed by the Page Feed button 3 times then release the power button.

"ET" <someone@mars.com> wrote in message
> Is there a preferred way to tell which of the three cartridges (#56,
> 57, or 58) would be at fault? When changing cartridges (refilled) and
> the calibration printing is done, there may be a color(s) missing or
> the color may be faint. Normally, I change both #57 & #58 at the same
> time and end up swapping out several cartridges to find one printing
> properly. Usually letting the cartridge sit in printer overnight (air
> bubbles probably) cures problems but I still don't know which
> cartridge was giving me the problem.
> Thanks,

ET

Distinguished
May 1, 2004

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 20:59:26 -0000, "SteveB"
<sbrads@nildramDOTcoDOTuk> wrote:

>Does the 43-Tap method work on the 7960? This tests every jet on my 5550
>which uses the same cartridges, each ink colour is printed in it's own small
>area so that it's easy to spot u/s jets and which cartridge they belong to.
>Hold the power button down while also pressing the Cancel button 4 times
>followed by the Page Feed button 3 times then release the power button.

-----
Thanks, Steve. Where did you find this info? It is nowhere in my
manuals.
ET

steveb

Distinguished
May 11, 2003

I read about the 41-Tap (Dot counts, current and previous cartridge serial
numbers, total page count) somewhere a couple of years ago, I expect it was
leaked by some HP engineer, so I thought there's probably more 'secret' key
combinations and tried out a lot by trial and error. The 41 and 43-Tap
tests are the most useful I found as they're not reproducible by any other
means, other combinations just seemed to do things like cleaning. Does it
work on the 7960?

"SteveB" <sbrads@nildramDOTcoDOTuk> wrote in message
>I read about the 41-Tap (Dot counts, current and previous cartridge serial
>numbers, total page count) somewhere a couple of years ago, I expect it was
>leaked by some HP engineer, so I thought there's probably more 'secret' key
>combinations and tried out a lot by trial and error.

Many of the tap tests for various printers are documented at:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bpd07098&dlc=en&lang=en.
The tap sequences for the 900 series also work for the 5000 and 6000 series,
you might find the 84 tap diagnostic useful as well.

Regards,

ET

Distinguished
May 1, 2004

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 08:10:00 -0000, "SteveB"
<sbrads@nildramDOTcoDOTuk> wrote:

> Does it
>work on the 7960?
--------------
Sorry, Steve. I couldn't even feed a "Page Feed" button on the printer
so didn't try it. However, on the Menu (of the printer itself) there
was a Test Page printout option and this told me what I wanted to
know.
Thanks for your help.
ET

ET

Distinguished
May 1, 2004

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 19:13:38 -0800, "Bob Headrick" <bobh@proaxis.com>
wrote:

>"ET" <someone@mars.com> wrote in message
>> Is there a preferred way to tell which of the three cartridges (#56,
>> 57, or 58) would be at fault?
>
>You can take two of the cartridges out and print a test page with a single
>cartridge at a time. That would let you figure out which has the problem.
>
> - Bob Headrick, not speaking for my employer HP
Thanks, Bob. I was going to go that route as the last resort. However,
in RTFM onscreen saw mention of Menu on the Printer, then finding
Print Test Page. This showed me exactly what I wanted to know. I had
done a Test Page printout from software and while it did print the
colors, didn't tell me what I wanted to know - such as which cartridge
was printing which color.

ET