Sign in with
Your question
Closed

DirectX 9.0c Installing Over DirectX11 Problem on Win7

Last response: in Windows 7
March 18, 2009 3:42:44 AM

could someone help me on this. a few days ago i upgraded From XP to Windows 7 Beta 7048.
and i have not been able to successfully install DirectX9.0c. over the already installed DirectX 11.
has any one else experienced this problem. with Windows 7 beta 7048. because since i installed Windows 7 on my computer.
i am not at all able to play any DirectX 9.0c or DirectX10 PC Games. each time i attempt to install Directx9.0c during installation it is not able to complete. or even start installing. on the windows 7 beta 7048 could someone help explain what i need to do to get this working.
properly also i have an ATI Radeon HD3650 if that helps any.
i'm thankful for any help thats given that may put me in the right direction.
for solving this problem thanks
March 18, 2009 4:53:39 AM

You do not need to install DX9.0C. DX11 is a superset of DX10.0/10.1, both of which are backwards-compatible with DX9.0C in the sense that DX9.0C software and hardware can run non-DX10/11 code. For this reason you do not install DX9.0C on Vista either, as it is "emulated" (for lack of a better word).

EDIT: Actually I'm not sure if DX9 and DX10 on Vista run side-by-side or if DX9 libraries run as an extra layer in the hyerarchical API mess.
Score
March 18, 2009 6:07:13 AM

thanks for replying. i do not quite understand. if i have DirectX11 Installed properly.
on my Windows 7 Beta 7048. and i do not need to install DirectX9.0c hardware.
if i already have DirectX11. and i still get this message. when i attempt. to play a.
DX9 PC Game. this program can't start because d3dx9_34.dll is missing from your computer try reinstalling the program to fix.
the problem. and the DirectX90c installer will not start installing or even successfully. complete and if i do not need. DirectX9.0.installed Could there be and error with something else i tested everything with dxdiag and everything came up. working perfectly i do not understand what did i do wrong ?
Score
Related resources
March 18, 2009 3:57:20 PM

thetruth18750 said:
thanks for replying. i do not quite understand. if i have DirectX11 Installed properly.
if i already have DirectX11. and i still get this message. when i attempt. to play a.
DX9 PC Game. this program can't start because d3dx9_34.dll is missing from your computer try reinstalling the program to fix.
the problem. and the DirectX90c installer will not start installing or even successfully. complete and if i do not need. DirectX9.0.installed Could there be and error with something else i tested everything with dxdiag and everything came up. working perfectly i do not understand what did i do wrong ?

As with the problem i am having win7 not recognizing my external HDD, it seems to me to be the Beta OS. My friend its not finished so its good to have a look for a week, then go back to Ur previous OS. At least until win7 Officially is finished or you just format and start again and see how you go. don't ponder on crap too long just keep all your stuff backed up whilst your play n around with OS'S.
64 OS are definitely Superior as of all of there binary capabilities with the OS/CPU/GPU/Ram.
My Ram and CPU rated at 7.8 within the win7 rating system. I was pleased to see that.
Score
March 18, 2009 9:34:50 PM

thetruth18750 said:

I don't run Win 7 so I'm not sure what DirectX package you'd update with but my guess is that an update is needed. You will not be able to install DX9.0C only because you can not "downgrade" DirectX, even with the same major version (meaning you can't install a June release of DX10 over an October release).
Score
March 18, 2009 10:59:44 PM

randomizer said:
I don't run Win 7 so I'm not sure what DirectX package you'd update with but my guess is that an update is needed. You will not be able to install DX9.0C only because you can not "downgrade" DirectX, even with the same major version (meaning you can't install a June release of DX10 over an October release).

so since its not at all possible to downgrade a version of DirectX11.
or install a version of DirectX90c on Windows 7 Beta 7058.
with DirectX11 already installed on my Win7. so i will not be able. to successfully.
play any kind of Directx9.0c or Directx10 PC games on Win7 ?
and since there is not really any Kind of DirectX11. card in stores. and Directx11 on my Win7.
will not work properly with Directx9.0c or dx10 that means i need to need to switch.
back to XP to be able to play PC Games correct ? if dx9.0c will not install
Score
March 18, 2009 11:15:58 PM

As I said, you should be able to play DX9 and DX10 games fine (Vista plays DX9 games as good as or better than XP), however the default Win 7 DirectX installation may only have some DX9.0c libraries just for minimum compatability, so you'd need to update it to add the missing ones.
Score
March 19, 2009 12:28:29 AM

thanks i understand now.
on windows 7 7048 beta,
also when adding the missing DX9.0c libraries. when loading the missing dll files of directx9.0c,
where on win7 do i put the missing libraries of dx9.0c, i seem not to be able to locate the DirectX,
folder on Win7 not able to find or access it in windows folder or the system folder.
do i have to create a directx folder in windows. to add the missing ones ?

Score
March 19, 2009 6:52:49 AM

DirectX is buried somewhere in Windows, I'm not entirely sure where exactly. I have a feeling the libraries are in C:\Windows\System32 though.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
March 19, 2009 12:25:43 PM

Beta version, Beta version, Beta version. You may have just discovered 1 reason Win 7 is not a full blown official release just yet. Is there a compatability mode somewhere that needs to be set? I have 7/XP running in dual boot, but I haven't used 7 to play any games yet. Might try to load some older games up and see what happens.
Score
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
March 19, 2009 1:28:17 PM

Windows Vista and Windows 7 include their own versions of DX9 and play DX9 games just fine. The OP should not have screwed with it. By doing so, he hosed the libraries up and that is why it doesn't work any more.

Recommened a clean-reinstall.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
March 19, 2009 3:50:53 PM

go to the direct x website and download directX there. they update directX every couple months and these updates do not appear in windows update
Score
March 27, 2009 10:25:40 PM

captaincharisma said:
go to the direct x website and download directX there. they update directX every couple months and these updates do not appear in windows update

bingo.
Score
March 28, 2009 12:35:27 AM

if you have DirectX 11 why would you want to install DirectX 9.0c?? it doesnt make any sense. Also you cant install an old version of DiretcX over a new version, it just wont work. Finally, remember that Windows 7 is BETA so you may face a lot of bugs and problems.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
March 30, 2009 12:20:33 PM

The Win7/Vista installs do not contain the updated DX 9.0c libraires that were continually released after DX 9.0c came out. Many of the new .DLL's that were added are REQUIRED for newer games that run in DX9 mode, and must be downloaded.

Microsoft made a DX updater program that should grab any missing DX9.0c .DLL's and install them as needed. Try searching for that. Could also be an issue with the beta...

Yet another reason why the split DX API is causing more headaches then are needed...
Score
March 31, 2009 12:50:35 PM

Win7 is still in BETA. For the time being, maybe you could use Vista SP1.
Score
May 1, 2009 2:24:42 AM

just update the libraries, their diff than dx versions... us dxwebupdate to get the libraries
Score
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
May 2, 2009 8:34:28 PM

Just run the direct x updater to get the updates to the DX9 libraries. That will fix it. Not sure why those aren't included in Win7, but it worked for me when I was getting the same message trying to run COD4 on Win7 RC1.

Just go to microsoft.com and search for "DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer". Run it and that will fix it.
Score
May 8, 2009 3:38:39 AM

I had that problem of DX 9 games cannot find the DX9 DLLs. I tried directX webupdater and that doesn't work for me as it says "cabinet file cannot be trusted"
The last thing I did is I downloaded the DX redist kit and I got it installed successfully.
You can download it from here:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Download-New-Windows-7-D...

Just follow the first link, that works for me. Don't go for webupdater!
Score
June 17, 2009 5:50:37 PM

zyphyr27 said:
I had that problem of DX 9 games cannot find the DX9 DLLs. I tried directX webupdater and that doesn't work for me as it says "cabinet file cannot be trusted"
The last thing I did is I downloaded the DX redist kit and I got it installed successfully.
You can download it from here:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Download-New-Windows-7-D...

Just follow the first link, that works for me. Don't go for webupdater!

I downloaded the file. I tried to install it into System 32, but I keep getting an error message. Any clue what to try?
Score
June 23, 2009 12:18:50 AM

Install the Release Candidate instead of the beta like any rational person would? Build 7048 is ancient, probably from last October/November?
Score
June 23, 2009 1:41:56 PM

Oh, I should have mentioned that I installed the latest version when I originally posted. And since then, I solved the problem by running the exe file in the Redist pack. That was the only way it would install and I tried a LOT of different ways to get it installed.
Score
October 11, 2009 9:50:42 AM

Hi guys.

i have installed a copy windows 7 ultimate.

its a older laptop that i have installed it, so far the only drivers i have had difficulty with is the graphic controller and direct x

no matter what i do that has been in this thread

i get the same error when i try load frozen throne (warcraft 3)

says i need directx 9.0c basically

i have direct x 11 installed.

i have also installed:

DirectX Redistributable August 2009 9.27.1734

which installed fine.

the laptop is a
Compaq Presario M2000 Notebook PC series

» Compaq Presario M2045AP Notebook PC

any idea of what to do is muchly appreciated.

p.s i have also made sure all launches are from compatibilty xp sp3 mode.

Score
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
October 21, 2009 6:45:11 AM

Well... after long hours of research.. i confirm that, when u're in the case of Vista/7 Users with DirectX 10/11 installed & Progs prompting that u dont have DirectX9, the right package for you to get are "Redist" ones. They install every update from directX9 ("as dlls, not as main DirectX install package").. and copy all thoses dll in c:\windows\system32 & also in c:\windows\sysWOW64.
i had the "missing d3dx9_37.dll" message when trying to play Stalker ClearSky on "7 64bits". Installed the redist & everything has been solved.
Ashsta.. check in thoses 2 directories if you have the dlls.

Nektar
Score
November 15, 2009 4:36:30 AM

hello,
I made the same mistake. I installed win 7 pro, then i installed directx 11. But it gave me the dll errors when i lunch games. for example warcraft 3 FT. Then as you stated above i downloaded the Redist one. Now it doesn't give me the dll error when i try to lunch w3 FT but i cant see any graphics. and when i try to play, at the loading it gives critical error. BTW my display card doesn't support DX11 for sure. Do you think that is the main problem? and w3 is the only game in my pc at the moment so i can't test any other games yet.
Any suggestions? thnks.
Score
January 4, 2010 4:52:00 PM

I was having this issue with missing DX9 files on Win7. I couldn't even install my video card drivers being that its a DX9 Card.

I installed Modern Warfare 2 and it fixed everything LOL. I would think that almost any recent game would do the same.

From the above comments, I take it the redistributable dx9 components were automatically installed.

Thanks.

Score
January 14, 2010 12:44:37 AM

randomizer said:
You do not need to install DX9.0C. DX11 is a superset of DX10.0/10.1, both of which are backwards-compatible with DX9.0C in the sense that DX9.0C software and hardware can run non-DX10/11 code. For this reason you do not install DX9.0C on Vista either, as it is "emulated" (for lack of a better word).

EDIT: Actually I'm not sure if DX9 and DX10 on Vista run side-by-side or if DX9 libraries run as an extra layer in the hyerarchical API mess.

But you need DirectX 9.0 for certain games, they will NOT run on Version 11, or 10, unless version 9 is already installed before 10 or 11 are. Ex: Neverwinter Nights 1&2.
Score
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
April 23, 2010 3:03:15 AM

I found the same problem when playing with NFS undercover and Call of Duty 4 on Windows 7. The game keep asking me for d3xd9_34.dll and xinput1_3.dll.
I got them running by manually copying d3xd9_34.dll and xinput1_3.dll to game installation directory.
They're working fine now!
Score
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
April 27, 2010 5:49:25 AM

I TOO HAVE THIS PROBLEM. DIRECT X IS NOT THE PROBLEM. ITS THE VIDEO CARD. THERE IS APROBLEM WITH SOME ATI HD CARDS. IS HAS SOMETHING TO DO SCREEN RESOLUTION SETTINGS IN WINDOWS 7.
I HAVE NEW CONP(12/24/2010) WITH ATI HD4350. E-MAILED ATI ABOUT IT, AND THEY SENT ME A LIST OF IFO TO FIND AND SEND BACK.HAVE NOT DONE YET. HOPE THIS HELPS.
Score
May 1, 2010 7:02:10 PM

Yes I have also experienced this problem. I recently bought the sims 2 for my new computer that runs off of windows 7. I have had no problems till I try to play my game. It pops up and says that I need directx 9.0c or better. I have downloded from brother share and still it does not take for some reason ? I am going to try and change me resolution if I come across anything that works I will try and post !
Score
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
May 12, 2010 11:14:54 PM

sgrm1104 said:
Yes I have also experienced this problem. I recently bought the sims 2 for my new computer that runs off of windows 7. I have had no problems till I try to play my game. It pops up and says that I need directx 9.0c or better. I have downloded from brother share and still it does not take for some reason ? I am going to try and change me resolution if I come across anything that works I will try and post !

install this one...http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI...
I guess it will help you...
the library of direct x in windows7 is in windows/system32/directx...
Score
July 8, 2010 9:57:51 PM

hello all...

i did too experience this issue. after searching the internet i came up with this thread direct me to microsoft download page:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyi...

its a 281kb file that will download the rest of the installation file. after download it will selfinstall (or u will need to install it, i dont remember) and it will install all the missing DLL files.

after this, all games r running perfectly on my windows 7 64bit OS.

good luck
Score
July 29, 2010 8:53:19 AM

Hi,

Go to the site

http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?d3dx9...

and download the file. It's free and the installation instructions are given there.

I had the problem when I was playing Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare. I downloaded the file from this site and followed the instruction there plus copied the file to the folder where the CoD4 exe was.

I run Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. The game runs without a problem.

I hope that was useful.

Score
July 30, 2010 4:11:04 PM

you shouldnt even use win 7 beta anymore.
Do a clean win 7 install.
Score
August 1, 2010 6:24:50 PM

i just got the sims 2 double deluxe. i succeded with download, however when i went to play it said i did not have DirectX 9.0c. so, i went to microsoft and tryed to download it. to make a LONG LONG story short, I tryed to download every version of directX had to offer, and still could not play sims. i restarted the computer millions of times. I un-loaded sims and reloaded it. i did everything i could, and yet whenever i go to downlaod directX 9.0c and it says it ws succesfull, i still cant play sims, and it still says i dont have directX 9.0c.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

thank you,

-marissa
Score
August 1, 2010 10:47:02 PM

you have install directx not just download it.
Score
August 8, 2010 1:40:22 AM

I did, still did not work.
Score
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
August 9, 2010 1:28:31 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!