Ronhrin

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
I have an Amd Sempron (Barton) 3000+ (32bit) and 3 sticks of kingston ddr 512 Mb (PC3200)

but I am unable to run the memory @ 200 Mhz and I can't see the reason why, PC3200 means 200 Mhz, but even when I loose the timings and up the voltage, memtest will always fail when I use the ram beyond 173 Mhz.

I've heard somewhere that this could be happening because I use 3 sticks instead of 2

so I removed one of them, and tried to use the ram @ 200 Mhz and it worked fine.

when I run the ram at 200 Mhz I'm able to overclock my cpu at least 100 Mhz further

now my question is this.

what do I need the most for overall perfomance and speed, 1.5 gb running at 173 Mhz or 1 gb running at 200 Mhz.

as you know, I'm an hardcore gamer and work with image rendering and video.

with 3 sticks I cannot overclock my cpu past the 2083 Mhz
with 2 sticks I'm able to overclock the cpu at 2243 Mhz

I need an honest opinion.

thanks in advance.

Ronhrin

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
that's the problem, my MoBo only has 3 slots and I can't afford two brand new DDR modules, so my only options are the ones I posted above.

given the situations what would you suggest me?

falsterbo

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
Almost anyone can afford to buy a new cheap motherboard and ONE 512Mb module...

You already have 3 sticks :)

Motherboards doesn´t cost much...

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Well for image rendering, and video...More Ram at a little slower speed

would be the best bet. For games, more RAM is becoming necessary more,

and more...But lower memory speed combined with 160MHz less processor

speed may hinder in some games. I think i'd go with the gig.

fainis

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
that`s normal my friend...read in the manual.....the more modules you use ....the lower the frequency goes....and the higher the command rate...

first logically if you want the max of your memory you better use identical modules....

i`m gonna give you one example:
a generic 462 mobo....can run the memory at 400mhz (pc3200)...if you use two memory modules...if you use all the memory modules you can only use pc2700 modules at 333mhz.......and the command rate goes from 1T to 2T...

that`s one example ....many boards can scale down the memory from 400 to 266....depending on your number of modules and available ...slots....

what kind of mobo do you have my friend.......?
your problem, with the memory is related to the mobo ....bartons..do not have mem controllers on die......

it`s better to use only one memory module .... in this situation the controller can use it fully ...unless you have dual channel...in this case the mem bandwith will add double

buzz_X

Distinguished
May 14, 2006
If I was you I'd run some tests on the memory and see what's the most I could get either way...then go with that. Use Sandra and see what's the best and fastest setup.

Buzz_X