homunculus

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Upon installing an x-fi soundcard, XP pro (sp2) failed to detect the card, despite trying numerous PCI slots, which are all empty. I then tried a PCI USB card and that wasn't detected either. That rules out my x-fi card being defective and there's nothing in the BIOS to enable PNP. I had no problem installing my PCI express video card. PCI hardware problem or XP problem?

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
What about control panel's 'find non- plug n play device'?

PCI and PCI-e are seperate busses so the fact you can install PCIe graphics but not PCI stuff isn't unusual.

GherkinPekul

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2006
I would try installing the card on another system to rule out a bad card. In my experience, if plug and pray doesn't find something on it's own, trying to force it in will have abyssmal results. Good Luck.

homunculus

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
What about control panel's 'find non- plug n play device'?

PCI and PCI-e are seperate busses so the fact you can install PCIe graphics but not PCI stuff isn't unusual.
The control panel couldn't find it either.

P.S I have a mesa F-50 amp.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
(If only computers were as reliable as Boogies)

It does sound unlikely to be two bad cards that you know work. Like GherkinPaul says, try another system, just to lay to rest that it's not the card.

What motherboard do you have?

homunculus

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
I would try installing the card on another system to rule out a bad card. In my experience, if plug and pray doesn't find something on it's own, trying to force it in will have abyssmal results. Good Luck.
I did try another PCI card in the same PCI slots without success. Two cards being bad is very unlikely.

homunculus

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
(If only computers were as reliable as Boogies)

It does sound unlikely to be two bad cards that you know work. Like GherkinPaul says, try another system, just to lay to rest that it's not the card.

What motherboard do you have?
There was one PCI slot that I didn't try because a firewire cable was being passed through that slot's blanking plate. I removed the cable and put my soundcard in that slot and windows detected it!

My mobo is an intel D945GNT that was replaced by intel after I fried my original board (see the thread DEAD PC). My board, therefore, is probably a refurb. I emailed intel, so they may be able to tell me the history of my mobo. In the meantime, no more PCI cards.

Thanks very much for your help.

Now I'm ready to install my firewire recording card and record my F-50 into a 2x12 recto cab. I hope my neighbor isn't home.