Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard good enough for 805?

Last response: in Overclocking
May 14, 2006 7:25:30 PM

Hi, I am currently using an ASUS P5GD1 motherboard. I read the whole review on the 805 OC to 4.1Ghz and I was hoping to get myself an 805 and an extra zalman cooler and do this on my current motherboard.

My main two questions are, Is the 805 compatible with my current motherboard?
And also, If it is compatible, is my current motherboard good enough to support this amount of overclocking.

Yes, the sockets are the same LGA775, but on the Asus website, no Pentium D CPUs are listed on the compatible CPU list for my specific motherboard.
I am mostly worried that my mobo doesn't support dual cores at all, even though the sockets are the same, but thats why I'm asking about this :) 

Any help is appreciated and I hope all is well.

More about : motherboard good 805

May 15, 2006 2:47:08 PM

Well, I've decided on my own to buy a new motherboard with the 805. The Asus P5WD2-E Premium will preferebly be what I buy. I will also buy a water cooling system and DDR2 RAM with the motherboard.

Any help with this setup or criticizement will be appreciated, because I still have yet to order the parts.
May 15, 2006 3:26:54 PM

Good luck is what I can offer.
Just because one or two people were able to get it to run at 4.1 ghz doesnt mean others will. It also doesnt mean it wont burn up in a week.
If intel could clock those at even 3 or 3.2 without burning them up, dont you think thats what they would sell them as. Use common sense. In most cases you get what you pay for.
Related resources
May 16, 2006 6:46:56 AM

Quote:
Just because one or two people were able to get it to run at 4.1 ghz doesnt mean others will. It also doesnt mean it wont burn up in a week.
If intel could clock those at even 3 or 3.2 without burning them up, dont you think thats what they would sell them as. Use common sense. In most cases you get what you pay for.

Although I agree that not everyone will be able to atain such great results and there certainly is a risk of damaging the CPU, AMD has gained a lot of popularity from CPU's which overclock well. Couldn't there be just an outside chance that intel have tried to enter the same game? Just a thought...
May 25, 2006 4:17:37 PM

4.1Ghz OCing of a D805 have been duplicated more than just one or two times and by different sites and magazines for months now.

The stability of the OCing is dependent on each chip as well as the setup and cooling. I wouldnt expect to reach 4.1 with a zalman cooler but 3.8 seems to be quite possible.

The Asus P5WD2-E Premium seems to be a good choice. If you plan on watercooling to go for 4.1Ghz then you might look for a board with an 8 phase regulator for stability.

Other than that make sure you get an efficient PSU with lots of overhead wattage. Depending on your water cooling solution your PSU might be responsible for running it all. It takes a lot of startup juice to get all that to mush.

Before OCing just make sure you can afford to lose the $ if something goes wrong. It is gambling. I havent OCed in years due to the fact that I couldnt afford to lose a work machine but Im feeling saucey at the moment.

Keep us posted on what you decide.
May 30, 2006 8:29:06 PM

Thanks for the info, Morphine. I haven't made any rash decisions or actions yet, but if and when I do, I plan on getting the Asus P5WD2-E Premium along with the 805D, water cooling, and some DDR2 RAM.

One thing I'm just a little sketchy on is what type of DDR2 RAM should I get if I want to OC to a maximum of 4.0GHz?
May 31, 2006 3:35:17 AM

DDR2 PC2-6400 (800MHz), which is quad pumped 200MHz memory.
The normal bus speed of the D 805 is 133MHz (533MHz, quad pumped)
When the D805 has is bus speed upped from 133MHz to 200MHz
The CPU goes from 2.66GHz to 4.0GHz
May 31, 2006 4:18:32 AM

i think that the important part of your statement is below

Quote:
4.1Ghz OCing of a D805 have been duplicated more than just one or two times and by different sites and magazines for months now.

Sorry to say but most of these sites and magazines are very good at what they do and what they do is tinker with computers and push the limits of sense just to see what they CAN do.

Toms also did an article where they filled a case with vegetable oil... care to try that too?

My advise is take your time and learn what you are doing. Do it step by step in small increments and make sure it's stable before you take the next step.

DON'T put it together, jump right into bios and start screwing around with the FSB.
May 31, 2006 9:25:40 AM

Quote:
Toms also did an article where they filled a case with vegetable oil... care to try that too?

My point was that it is entirely possible and there is hardware out there to accomplish it. Whether its your cup of tea is another matter. To each his own. (even oil)

If someone is reading that article and motivated enough to attempt an OC for the first time then all the more power to them. Its fun and this is a perfect hardware setup to attempt it.

To correct you, the most important part of my statement was:
Quote:
Before OCing just make sure you can afford to lose the $ if something goes wrong. It is gambling.

Quote:
My advise is take your time and learn what you are doing. Do it step by step in small increments and make sure it's stable before you take the next step.

I would hope that goes without saying...Many many hours went into that OC Im sure.

-M
June 1, 2006 2:38:39 PM

I hear 805 is good for an OC... Toms hardware isnt the only pplz that say the 805 is very OC-able

IF you want a basic MB that can OC an 805 I would go for Abit IL8.

Abit is still one of the best MBs for OCing... the Bios is OC friendly and the MB is quite solid. If OC is about bang for buck the Abit IL8 is like half the price of your P5WD2.
June 2, 2006 10:17:52 PM

I do indeed believe in more bang for the buck, but I also have about enough money to play around with that will allow me to play safe with a reliable motherboard.
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
June 3, 2006 6:33:54 AM

805 is a junk CPU and not the best overclocker. You'd be better off with a 920, it's not THAT expensive. Rather than try to go for 533 to 800 bus with the 805, you can try 800 to 1066 with the 920, it should be far easier, far better performing, and you can tell people you have a 965.

Thermaltake Big Typhoon is reported to be a better cooler than the Zalman, purely from a performance standpoint. It doesn't cost more, so if it runs cooler you should probably use it. I have one, it's made like crap, but it's so huge it works great anyway.
June 3, 2006 7:31:17 AM

Quote:

One or two people .....that made me laugh type 4ghz D 805 in a search engine and see how many different ones come up
If intel could clock those at even 3 or 3.2 without burning them up, dont you think thats what they would sell them as. Use common sense. In most cases you get what you pay for

if you believe that then you must assume thats true for all intel cpus or even AMD's cpus an no one should ever oc.

Kronicide The only thing i add you might have to do a volt modd to the p5wd2-e for voltage droop
June 6, 2006 5:49:45 PM

Quote:
Kronicide The only thing i add you might have to do a volt modd to the p5wd2-e for voltage droop

Thanks for the info!

If you could help me out a little more to understand exactly what precautions to take with the voltage as you are saying, it would be greatly appreciated.
June 6, 2006 6:52:53 PM

I recently put together the same system: 805D w/Asus P5WD2-E Premium, Ram: OCZ DDR2-800 PC2-6400 Gold Edition, Water Cooling: Kingwin AS-3000, ATI X1900XTX. All for $1100.00. I achieved a stable 3.8Ghz (190mhz, CPU Voltage 1.45) and haven't tried any higher. My only concern with this system is temperature. The Kingwin system reads max load of 49 degrees, yet the ASUS software monitor reads max load of 65 degrees and in the bios hardware monitor the idle temp is 62 degrees. So i'm not sure which reading is true! All in all this system soars with a 3DMark06 CPU score of 1100 which beat a Pentium EE 3.6.
June 7, 2006 4:35:43 PM

I bought the same chip and board and a gig of ozc ddr2-6200 and an Artic cooler 7. It will run at 4.0 ghz just by setting front side bus to 200. It also gets very hot. 165 degrees at full load and 140 at idle! I am currently running at 3.4 ghz on air without issues. Afraid and unwilling to go to water. Good luck!
June 9, 2006 3:53:13 PM

Thanks for the replies guys!

I would really like to hear from more people with this setup or even people who know anything about the stabilization.
June 9, 2006 4:17:58 PM

Quote:
I recently put together the same system: 805D w/Asus P5WD2-E Premium, Ram: OCZ DDR2-800 PC2-6400 Gold Edition, Water Cooling: Kingwin AS-3000....My only concern with this system is temperature.

I went to the manufacturer's website and couldn't find any info on the cooling capacity of that unit. The model number is 3000 but its NOT a 3000W cooler. I hate it when model numbers mean nothing. That type of info not being advertised would scare me off...Do you cool anything else with it? (e.g. GPU, HDDs, RAM, Chipset)

-M
June 9, 2006 4:45:13 PM

I have the exact setup as you have discribed with the D805 and the Asus premium mobo. I easily overclock to 3.8Ghz @ 1.475V with a Thermaltake cooler. It idles at 50 degrees Celcius and jumps to 65 degrees celcius under full load. It runs stable playing UT2004 and Laura Croft Tomb Raider Legend. I would recommend for you to buy this setup. I have been running this setup since this article first came out.

Cheers
June 9, 2006 4:52:46 PM

Yeah I would agree 4Ghz is getting a little crazy for most people and you would need some good cooling to get there :)  on the stock intel cooler I got 3.6Ghz on mine so thats not too shabby and probably realistic in terms of what most people will do even with an after market cooler (well maybe 3.8Ghz on air with a different cooler) My temps run about 51-53C at idle and add a little over 10C at load :p  I have heard other people getting higher temps on the stock cooler so perhaps I got lucky ? at any rate its all good and your mobo since its socket 775 should work with it ? Asus is normaly very good about this sort of thing maybe you should email their tech support and ask ? (they might be making a BIOS update)
June 12, 2006 7:00:28 PM

Quote:

...Do you cool anything else with it? (e.g. GPU, HDDs, RAM, Chipset)

-M

I only use the cpu water block. It came with a vga water block but my video card has sufficient cooling already. I've read other users have 5 degrees or higher on their cpu by using the vga block along with the cpu block. This is my first water cooling experience so i'm not familiar with the cooling capacity. It was a tough decision on choosing a water cooler system so I went for best bang for the buck based on reviews.
June 14, 2006 12:56:42 PM

Running my 805 system for 2 months. Caint see why people are getting so high temps, maybe i choose a good water cooling setup. Anyways my cpu temps are 35 idle and 45-50 load. O and i went with a gigiabyte board over the asus.
June 26, 2006 7:11:00 PM

Hey, Skidd, what frequencies are you running your CPU at?

I like those temps, and may go with your build if I know what to put the CPU at :) 
!