Great Wall

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Why can't I find the Great Wall of China? I would have thought it would be
featured, as many other smaller landmarks are! Found Mount Rushmore and the
pyramids easy, but cannot find the Great Wall! You can apparently see it
from space, but not from my Cessna!
Cheers,
Chris

--
I'm not always right,
But I'm never wrong!

Dallas wrote:
> "Chris"
>
>>You can apparently see it
>>from space,
>

> I believe that's a common misconception.

More importantly, where is the Great Wal-Mart of China? They're
building one there now. Will it be in the next version of FS?

John

Chris wrote:
> Why can't I find the Great Wall of China? I would have thought it
> would be featured, as many other smaller landmarks are! Found Mount
> Rushmore and the pyramids easy, but cannot find the Great Wall! You
> can apparently see it from space, but not from my Cessna!
> Cheers,
> Chris

Why would you be able to see an object no wider than my house from space,
however long it may be? This is rubbish :)

--
Cheers
Quilly

Try 'Living With Technology' magazine
http://www.livtech.co.uk

Quilljar wrote:
> Chris wrote:
>
>>Why can't I find the Great Wall of China? I would have thought it
>>would be featured, as many other smaller landmarks are! Found Mount
>>Rushmore and the pyramids easy, but cannot find the Great Wall! You
>>can apparently see it from space, but not from my Cessna!
>>Cheers,
>>Chris
>

> Why would you be able to see an object no wider than my house from space,
> however long it may be?

They painted the top bright turquoise?

John

"Chris" <me@there.com.au> wrote in message
> Why can't I find the Great Wall of China? I would have thought it would be
> featured, as many other smaller landmarks are! Found Mount Rushmore and
> the pyramids easy, but cannot find the Great Wall! You can apparently see
> it from space, but not from my Cessna!
> Cheers,
> Chris
>
> --
> I'm not always right,
> But I'm never wrong!

Hi Chris,

It isn't visible to the astronauts, but it is clearly visible via satellite
eyes. See http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/radar/sircxsar/gwall.html. And in
GoogleEarth go to lat/Long 37.7/107.5

It should be visible from a Cessna!.. Maybe MS just did not include it. But
maybe you are in the wrong spot. Try the above coords and see if you can
find it

Hi Quilly,

Not necessarily nonsense. I spent much of my working life looking for
"lineaments" from space photos. The human eye can be very discerning at
recognising linear structures.

If my info is correct, the shuttles and other manned missions do not
overpass China, nor Russia, but overpass Australia, because of the NASA
receivers here and a possible perceived "intelligence" problem. So, maybe,
the sightings have been attempted from a disadvantaged position.

And then maybe I am full of bullshit!

Regards

> Chris wrote:
>> Why can't I find the Great Wall of China? I would have thought it
>> would be featured, as many other smaller landmarks are! Found Mount
>> Rushmore and the pyramids easy, but cannot find the Great Wall! You
>> can apparently see it from space, but not from my Cessna!
>> Cheers,
>> Chris
>
> Why would you be able to see an object no wider than my house from space,
> however long it may be? This is rubbish :)
>

> --
> Cheers
> Quilly
>

> Try 'Living With Technology' magazine
> http://www.livtech.co.uk

LOL

>> And then maybe I am full of bullshit!
>
> I defer to your greater experience obviously :)
>
> Cheers
> Quilly
>

> Try 'Living With Technology' magazine
> http://www.livtech.co.uk

Hi The Old Bloke,

"....and a possible perceived "intelligence" problem....."

Why - what's wrong with Australian's intelligence?? :))

Regards,
John Ward
"The Old Bloke" <old@bigponddddd.net.au> wrote in message
> Hi Quilly,
>
> Not necessarily nonsense. I spent much of my working life looking for
> "lineaments" from space photos. The human eye can be very discerning at
> recognising linear structures.
>
> If my info is correct, the shuttles and other manned missions do not
> overpass China, nor Russia, but overpass Australia, because of the NASA
> receivers here and a possible perceived "intelligence" problem. So,
> maybe, the sightings have been attempted from a disadvantaged position.
>
> And then maybe I am full of bullshit!
>
> Regards
>
> "Quilljar" <wykehill-flightsim@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Chris wrote:
>>> Why can't I find the Great Wall of China? I would have thought it
>>> would be featured, as many other smaller landmarks are! Found Mount
>>> Rushmore and the pyramids easy, but cannot find the Great Wall! You
>>> can apparently see it from space, but not from my Cessna!
>>> Cheers,
>>> Chris
>>
>> Why would you be able to see an object no wider than my house from space,
>> however long it may be? This is rubbish :)
>>

>> --
>> Cheers
>> Quilly
>>

>> Try 'Living With Technology' magazine
>> http://www.livtech.co.uk

"The Old Bloke" <old@bigponddddd.net.au> wrote in message
> > Hi Quilly,
> >
> > Not necessarily nonsense. I spent much of my working life looking for
> > "lineaments" from space photos. The human eye can be very discerning at
> > recognising linear structures.
> >
> > If my info is correct, the shuttles and other manned missions do not
> > overpass China, nor Russia, but overpass Australia, because of the NASA
> > receivers here and a possible perceived "intelligence" problem. So,
> > maybe, the sightings have been attempted from a disadvantaged position.

How could they avoid any spot on Earth other than the extreme north and
extreme south? Aren't they using polar orbits?

Earl
--
Earl Needham
Clovis, New Mexico USA