Which printers can be refilled ?

Is there a website showing me which printers can be re-filled with a syringe
and bought ink ?. I was particularly looking for an all-in-one
printer/copier/scanner on which i can re-fill using bottles of ink and a
syringe (no chipping !)

Cheers
Andy

Andy100 wrote:
> Is there a website showing me which printers can be re-filled with a
> syringe and bought ink ?. I was particularly looking for an all-in-one
> printer/copier/scanner on which i can re-fill using bottles of ink
> and a syringe (no chipping !)
>
> Cheers
> Andy

most if not all can, but some easier, some difficult. The easiest to refill
are definitely Canon printers. It's two part cart is excellent, because it
has separately sponge and ink reservoir, so when it's empty you just fill
the reservoir and you're done. Whole procedure takes about 1 minute tops...

Thank you, yes i already have a Canon S200SPx, it's a pretty good printer,
and i fill it from the nozzle ends (so no drilling necessary). However, it's
not brilliant at printing onto photo paper. So, do you recommend any of the
Canon 'all-in'one' printers, even the ones which have 6 or so separate ink
tanks (for photo printing, i think) ?

Cheers
Andy

Andy100 wrote:
> Thank you, yes i already have a Canon S200SPx, it's a pretty good
> printer, and i fill it from the nozzle ends (so no drilling
> necessary). However, it's not brilliant at printing onto photo paper.
> So, do you recommend any of the Canon 'all-in'one' printers, even the
> ones which have 6 or so separate ink tanks (for photo printing, i
> think) ?
>
> Cheers
> Andy

MY opinion is that those multifunction devices are too expensive. If you
want good all-in-one printer, you must get expensive model.
only printer ip4000 however for very good price offers excellent photos.
Maybe you should consider buying printer and scanner separately (but then
again this depends on the purpose of intended use).
I have ip4000 and i'm just more than very pleased with it. In any case, you
better get at least the model with 5 carts (3 colors, text black and photo
black). model 3000 doesn't have photo black, while some reviews tell that
5000 is a bit behind 4000 at photos, while 8500 is already too expensive...
As i've read reviews Canon multi devices as mp780, it's excellent photo
printer, but expensive.
At the end, if you will have PC most of the time turned on, it doesn't
matter if you have two machines instead of one---> it will come cheaper.
For reviews just search with google for names like (i'll state only few
Canon's) MP110, MP130, MP750, MP780, MP360, MP370, MP390, MP730 photo,.
Also note that for easy refill look for models with separate carts, as those
are way easier to refill as combined ones.

> "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
>> Andy100 wrote:
>>> Is there a website showing me which printers can be re-filled with a
>>> syringe and bought ink ?. I was particularly looking for an
>>> all-in-one printer/copier/scanner on which i can re-fill using
>>> bottles of ink and a syringe (no chipping !)
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Andy
>>
>> most if not all can, but some easier, some difficult. The easiest to
>> refill are definitely Canon printers. It's two part cart is
>> excellent, because it has separately sponge and ink reservoir, so
>> when it's empty you just fill the reservoir and you're done. Whole
>> procedure takes about 1 minute tops...

All in ones are a compromise where nothing is the best in many cases.
The best value for all around is the Canon IP4000.

Andy100 wrote:

>Thank you, yes i already have a Canon S200SPx, it's a pretty good printer,
>and i fill it from the nozzle ends (so no drilling necessary). However, it's
>not brilliant at printing onto photo paper. So, do you recommend any of the
>Canon 'all-in'one' printers, even the ones which have 6 or so separate ink
>tanks (for photo printing, i think) ?
>
>Cheers
>Andy
>

>"SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
>

>>Andy100 wrote:
>>

>>>Is there a website showing me which printers can be re-filled with a
>>>syringe and bought ink ?. I was particularly looking for an all-in-one
>>>printer/copier/scanner on which i can re-fill using bottles of ink
>>>and a syringe (no chipping !)
>>>
>>>Cheers
>>>Andy
>>>

>>most if not all can, but some easier, some difficult. The easiest to
>>

>refill
>

>>are definitely Canon printers. It's two part cart is excellent, because it
>>has separately sponge and ink reservoir, so when it's empty you just fill
>>the reservoir and you're done. Whole procedure takes about 1 minute
>>

>tops...

I have a Canon IP4000 printer and think it is great. I also have an
Epson 4180 flatbed scanner and am satisfied with that also.

SleeperMan wrote:

>Andy100 wrote:
>

>>Thank you, yes i already have a Canon S200SPx, it's a pretty good
>>printer, and i fill it from the nozzle ends (so no drilling
>>necessary). However, it's not brilliant at printing onto photo paper.
>>So, do you recommend any of the Canon 'all-in'one' printers, even the
>>ones which have 6 or so separate ink tanks (for photo printing, i
>>think) ?
>>
>>Cheers
>>Andy
>>

>MY opinion is that those multifunction devices are too expensive. If you
>want good all-in-one printer, you must get expensive model.
>only printer ip4000 however for very good price offers excellent photos.
>Maybe you should consider buying printer and scanner separately (but then
>again this depends on the purpose of intended use).
>I have ip4000 and i'm just more than very pleased with it. In any case, you
>better get at least the model with 5 carts (3 colors, text black and photo
>black). model 3000 doesn't have photo black, while some reviews tell that
>5000 is a bit behind 4000 at photos, while 8500 is already too expensive...
>As i've read reviews Canon multi devices as mp780, it's excellent photo
>printer, but expensive.
>At the end, if you will have PC most of the time turned on, it doesn't
>matter if you have two machines instead of one---> it will come cheaper.
>For reviews just search with google for names like (i'll state only few
>Canon's) MP110, MP130, MP750, MP780, MP360, MP370, MP390, MP730 photo,.
>Also note that for easy refill look for models with separate carts, as those
>are way easier to refill as combined ones.
>

>>"SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message

>>>most if not all can, but some easier, some difficult. The easiest to
>>>refill are definitely Canon printers. It's two part cart is
>>>excellent, because it has separately sponge and ink reservoir, so
>>>when it's empty you just fill the reservoir and you're done. Whole
>>>procedure takes about 1 minute tops...

Thank you everyone for the advice. I'll certainly look into the IP4000 then.
Thanks
Andy

"Andy100" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote...
> Thank you everyone for the advice. I'll certainly look into the IP4000
then.
> Thanks
> Andy

The Canon iP8500 will give you better reds and greens, and it can be
refilled.
I suggest checking resellerratings.com before buying a printer online. It
helped me
avoid the vendors from hell. :)
Ink refill supplies can be found at weink.com and many other suppliers who
can be found using Google or searching ebay.
My ink costs are much lower since I bought an ink refill system which
included syringes, bottles of ink, and easy-fill ink cartridges.

measekite wrote:
> I have a Canon IP4000 printer and think it is great. I also have an
> Epson 4180 flatbed scanner and am satisfied with that also.

similar here...i have pretty old Acer SCSI scanner and it serves my needs
perfectly.

John Q wrote:
> "Andy100" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote...
>> Thank you everyone for the advice. I'll certainly look into the
>> IP4000 then. Thanks
>> Andy
>
> The Canon iP8500 will give you better reds and greens, and it can be
> refilled.
> I suggest checking resellerratings.com before buying a printer
> online. It helped me
> avoid the vendors from hell. :)
> Ink refill supplies can be found at weink.com and many other
> suppliers who can be found using Google or searching ebay.
> My ink costs are much lower since I bought an ink refill system which
> included syringes, bottles of ink, and easy-fill ink cartridges.

Easy to say if you're in USA...in Europe this printer is waaaaay to
expensive...say 3 times ip4000.
And this is definitely not worthed for maybe 1% better photos if you ask me.
Still, i'd really like to have it if someone would get me one as gift...

The wide carriage i9900 is only $50 more than the IP8500. While not a
PIXMA with full duplex and dual paper trays, they both have the same
print engine and both will give you the best photographic results. For
the money, if you are willing to compromise on business document
printing, the ability of the i9900 to produce prints up to 13x19.

measekite wrote:
> The wide carriage i9900 is only $50 more than the IP8500. While not a
> PIXMA with full duplex and dual paper trays, they both have the same
> print engine and both will give you the best photographic results. For the
> money, if you are willing to compromise on business document
> printing, the ability of the i9900 to produce prints up to 13x19.

Hmmm...i'll just stick with ip4000 for now...

> SleeperMan wrote:
>
>> John Q wrote:
>>

>>> "Andy100" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote...

>>> The Canon iP8500 will give you better reds and greens, and it can be
>>> refilled.
>>> I suggest checking resellerratings.com before buying a printer
>>> online. It helped me
>>> avoid the vendors from hell. :)
>>> Ink refill supplies can be found at weink.com and many other
>>> suppliers who can be found using Google or searching ebay.
>>> My ink costs are much lower since I bought an ink refill system
>>> which included syringes, bottles of ink, and easy-fill ink
>>> cartridges.
>>
>> Easy to say if you're in USA...in Europe this printer is waaaaay to
>> expensive...say 3 times ip4000.
>> And this is definitely not worthed for maybe 1% better photos if you
>> ask me. Still, i'd really like to have it if someone would get me
>> one as gift...

Can anyone tell me how i can refill the black 3E or 6 ink cartridge on a
Cannon IP4000 without it running out. I can refill it only till the sponge
gets saturated . Any more than this that shows in the glass area runs out.

> John Q wrote:
>> "Andy100" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote...
>>> Thank you everyone for the advice. I'll certainly look into the
>>> IP4000 then. Thanks
>>> Andy
>>
>> The Canon iP8500 will give you better reds and greens, and it can be
>> refilled.
>> I suggest checking resellerratings.com before buying a printer
>> online. It helped me
>> avoid the vendors from hell. :)
>> Ink refill supplies can be found at weink.com and many other
>> suppliers who can be found using Google or searching ebay.
>> My ink costs are much lower since I bought an ink refill system which
>> included syringes, bottles of ink, and easy-fill ink cartridges.
>
> Easy to say if you're in USA...in Europe this printer is waaaaay to
> expensive...say 3 times ip4000.
> And this is definitely not worthed for maybe 1% better photos if you ask
> me. Still, i'd really like to have it if someone would get me one as
> gift...

BURT

Taliesyn's advice is excellent. Neil Slade's technique is a bit more "down
and dirty" (not literally dirty!) in that he puts on rubber gloves, holds
the cart with one finger firmly under the ink exit port, removes the plug,
injects the ink, replaces the plug, and lets go of the exit port. This is
what I do. Before I take out the cart from the printer I open the ink
container, draw ink into the syringe, CLOSE THE INK CONTAINER TO PREVENT A
SPILL, and put the syringe down. I then pick up the cart and do what I
mentioned above. After the cart is filled and any excess ink wiped off I
then reopen the ink container, squirt the excess ink from the syringe back
into the container and close the ink container. I generally top off all
carts when one is about 2/3rds empty and needs refilling. I have enough
syringes, each marked with the color ink I use it for, so that I don't have
to stop and clean a syringe between refilling each cart.

As Neil Slade advises, if you are refilling OEM carts, buy the Computer
Friends blue plastic plugs as they are very easy to manage with one hand,
even with rubber gloves on. They don't list these plugs on their web site
as a separate item as they come in their refill kits. If you call them you
will be able to buy them separately.

"Taliesyn" <taliesyn4@netscape.net> wrote in message
> Andy Petro wrote:
>> Can anyone tell me how i can refill the black 3E or 6 ink cartridge on a
>> Cannon IP4000 without it running out. I can refill it only till the
>> sponge gets saturated . Any more than this that shows in the glass area
>> runs out.
>
> Runs out as in leaks out of the exit hold at the bottom?
>
> What most of us do - or perhaps I should say, I do - is attach the
> original orange break-off cap with rubber bands to the cartridge ink
> exit hole (rather tightly). Then after filling I seal the fill hole
> absolutely air tight or else the ink will run out again when I remove
> the orange cap from the bottom. Failure to seal the hole from which you
> filled the ink is the only reason ink would "run out". I use any of
> following methods currently for sealing the fill hole: - a small stainless
> steel screw (must be stainless!), a plastic or soft rubber plug available
> from ink dealers, or, some of my cartridges have a built in plastic
> sealing screw for the fill hole. Others have used glue guns
> with great success. If you've thrown away the orange break-off caps, you
> can try sealing the bottom exit hole with electrical tape while
> you fill. BUT YOU MUST SEAL THE TOP FILL HOLE after, or else your nice new
> iP4000 printer will be swimming in ink.
>
> -Taliesyn
>
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>> ______________________________________________________________________________________
>>
>> "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message

>>>Easy to say if you're in USA...in Europe this printer is waaaaay to
>>>expensive...say 3 times ip4000.
>>>And this is definitely not worthed for maybe 1% better photos if you ask
>>>me. Still, i'd really like to have it if someone would get me one as
>>>gift...

Andy,
I've created a small pdf file that shows how easy it is to refill Canon
cartridges. I can send a copy to you or anyone else who wants one. Let me
know by private email if you'd like a copy.
--
Ron Cohen

"Andy Petro" <andy.petro@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Can anyone tell me how i can refill the black 3E or 6 ink cartridge on a
> Cannon IP4000 without it running out. I can refill it only till the
> sponge gets saturated . Any more than this that shows in the glass area
> runs out.
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>
> "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
>> John Q wrote:
>>> "Andy100" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote...
>>>
>>> The Canon iP8500 will give you better reds and greens, and it can be
>>> refilled.
>>> I suggest checking resellerratings.com before buying a printer
>>> online. It helped me
>>> avoid the vendors from hell. :)
>>> Ink refill supplies can be found at weink.com and many other
>>> suppliers who can be found using Google or searching ebay.
>>> My ink costs are much lower since I bought an ink refill system which
>>> included syringes, bottles of ink, and easy-fill ink cartridges.
>>
>> Easy to say if you're in USA...in Europe this printer is waaaaay to
>> expensive...say 3 times ip4000.
>> And this is definitely not worthed for maybe 1% better photos if you ask
>> me. Still, i'd really like to have it if someone would get me one as
>> gift...

Do you have to wash out the syringes after you complete the refill
process? If so, how clean to they have to be?

Burt wrote:

>Taliesyn's advice is excellent. Neil Slade's technique is a bit more "down
>and dirty" (not literally dirty!) in that he puts on rubber gloves, holds
>the cart with one finger firmly under the ink exit port, removes the plug,
>injects the ink, replaces the plug, and lets go of the exit port. This is
>what I do. Before I take out the cart from the printer I open the ink
>container, draw ink into the syringe, CLOSE THE INK CONTAINER TO PREVENT A
>SPILL, and put the syringe down. I then pick up the cart and do what I
>mentioned above. After the cart is filled and any excess ink wiped off I
>then reopen the ink container, squirt the excess ink from the syringe back
>into the container and close the ink container. I generally top off all
>carts when one is about 2/3rds empty and needs refilling. I have enough
>syringes, each marked with the color ink I use it for, so that I don't have
>to stop and clean a syringe between refilling each cart.
>
>As Neil Slade advises, if you are refilling OEM carts, buy the Computer
>Friends blue plastic plugs as they are very easy to manage with one hand,
>even with rubber gloves on. They don't list these plugs on their web site
>as a separate item as they come in their refill kits. If you call them you
>will be able to buy them separately.
>
>"Taliesyn" <taliesyn4@netscape.net> wrote in message
>

>>Andy Petro wrote:
>>

>>>Can anyone tell me how i can refill the black 3E or 6 ink cartridge on a
>>>Cannon IP4000 without it running out. I can refill it only till the
>>>sponge gets saturated . Any more than this that shows in the glass area
>>>runs out.
>>>

>>Runs out as in leaks out of the exit hold at the bottom?
>>
>>What most of us do - or perhaps I should say, I do - is attach the
>>original orange break-off cap with rubber bands to the cartridge ink
>>exit hole (rather tightly). Then after filling I seal the fill hole
>>absolutely air tight or else the ink will run out again when I remove
>>the orange cap from the bottom. Failure to seal the hole from which you
>>filled the ink is the only reason ink would "run out". I use any of
>>following methods currently for sealing the fill hole: - a small stainless
>>steel screw (must be stainless!), a plastic or soft rubber plug available
>>from ink dealers, or, some of my cartridges have a built in plastic
>>sealing screw for the fill hole. Others have used glue guns
>>with great success. If you've thrown away the orange break-off caps, you
>>can try sealing the bottom exit hole with electrical tape while
>>you fill. BUT YOU MUST SEAL THE TOP FILL HOLE after, or else your nice new
>>iP4000 printer will be swimming in ink.
>>
>>-Taliesyn
>>
>>++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>>

>>>______________________________________________________________________________________
>>>
>>>"SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message

BURT

although I really liked tom kilmas' response to your question I will answer
without tongue in cheek! After all refilling is done I just take the
syringes to the sink, pull them apart and rinse, put them back together, and
run water through them a few times. The dye based inks are readily soluble
in water and a few syringes full of water clearn them well. I then leave
them apart for some hours to let them dry. I have them marked for each
color just in case there is any residue of dye left in them. They look
completely clean to me at that point.

> Do you have to wash out the syringes after you complete the refill
> process? If so, how clean to they have to be?
>
> Burt wrote:
>
>>Taliesyn's advice is excellent. Neil Slade's technique is a bit more
>>"down and dirty" (not literally dirty!) in that he puts on rubber gloves,
>>holds the cart with one finger firmly under the ink exit port, removes the
>>plug, injects the ink, replaces the plug, and lets go of the exit port.
>>This is what I do. Before I take out the cart from the printer I open the
>>ink container, draw ink into the syringe, CLOSE THE INK CONTAINER TO
>>PREVENT A SPILL, and put the syringe down. I then pick up the cart and do
>>what I mentioned above. After the cart is filled and any excess ink wiped
>>off I then reopen the ink container, squirt the excess ink from the
>>syringe back into the container and close the ink container. I generally
>>top off all carts when one is about 2/3rds empty and needs refilling. I
>>have enough syringes, each marked with the color ink I use it for, so that
>>I don't have to stop and clean a syringe between refilling each cart.
>>
>>As Neil Slade advises, if you are refilling OEM carts, buy the Computer
>>Friends blue plastic plugs as they are very easy to manage with one hand,
>>even with rubber gloves on. They don't list these plugs on their web site
>>as a separate item as they come in their refill kits. If you call them
>>you will be able to buy them separately.
>>
>>"Taliesyn" <taliesyn4@netscape.net> wrote in message

>>>Runs out as in leaks out of the exit hold at the bottom?
>>>
>>>What most of us do - or perhaps I should say, I do - is attach the
>>>original orange break-off cap with rubber bands to the cartridge ink
>>>exit hole (rather tightly). Then after filling I seal the fill hole
>>>absolutely air tight or else the ink will run out again when I remove
>>>the orange cap from the bottom. Failure to seal the hole from which you
>>>filled the ink is the only reason ink would "run out". I use any of
>>>following methods currently for sealing the fill hole: - a small
>>>stainless steel screw (must be stainless!), a plastic or soft rubber plug
>>>available from ink dealers, or, some of my cartridges have a built in
>>>plastic sealing screw for the fill hole. Others have used glue guns
>>>with great success. If you've thrown away the orange break-off caps, you
>>>can try sealing the bottom exit hole with electrical tape while
>>>you fill. BUT YOU MUST SEAL THE TOP FILL HOLE after, or else your nice
>>>new iP4000 printer will be swimming in ink.
>>>
>>>-Taliesyn
>>>
>>>++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Based on your total printing costs for the year, how much do you save
doing all of the work that refilling takes as opposed to just buying the
same ink via MIS generic carts for $5.00 per?

Burt wrote:

>although I really liked tom kilmas' response to your question I will answer
>without tongue in cheek! After all refilling is done I just take the
>syringes to the sink, pull them apart and rinse, put them back together, and
>run water through them a few times. The dye based inks are readily soluble
>in water and a few syringes full of water clearn them well. I then leave
>them apart for some hours to let them dry. I have them marked for each
>color just in case there is any residue of dye left in them. They look
>completely clean to me at that point.

>>Do you have to wash out the syringes after you complete the refill
>>process? If so, how clean to they have to be?
>>
>>Burt wrote:
>>

>>>Taliesyn's advice is excellent. Neil Slade's technique is a bit more
>>>"down and dirty" (not literally dirty!) in that he puts on rubber gloves,
>>>holds the cart with one finger firmly under the ink exit port, removes the
>>>plug, injects the ink, replaces the plug, and lets go of the exit port.
>>>This is what I do. Before I take out the cart from the printer I open the
>>>ink container, draw ink into the syringe, CLOSE THE INK CONTAINER TO
>>>PREVENT A SPILL, and put the syringe down. I then pick up the cart and do
>>>what I mentioned above. After the cart is filled and any excess ink wiped
>>>off I then reopen the ink container, squirt the excess ink from the
>>>syringe back into the container and close the ink container. I generally
>>>top off all carts when one is about 2/3rds empty and needs refilling. I
>>>have enough syringes, each marked with the color ink I use it for, so that
>>>I don't have to stop and clean a syringe between refilling each cart.
>>>
>>>As Neil Slade advises, if you are refilling OEM carts, buy the Computer
>>>Friends blue plastic plugs as they are very easy to manage with one hand,
>>>even with rubber gloves on. They don't list these plugs on their web site
>>>as a separate item as they come in their refill kits. If you call them
>>>you will be able to buy them separately.
>>>
>>>"Taliesyn" <taliesyn4@netscape.net> wrote in message

BURT

MIS generic carts are not filled with the MIS inks that they sell in bulk.
I have not seen anyone report on these prefilled MIS carts and have not
tried them, but I refill OEM carts over and over with MIS inks and have seen
no color difference or printer problems. Refilling is not a lot of work -
it is quite easy once you get the hang of it. As a matter of fact, if you
go to Office Depot, CompUSA, or any of the other stores to pick up OEM ink
carts you have expended some time also!

I do large print runs (500 - 700 photos) a few times a year after trips
abroad, print 100 or so seasonal greeting cards at a time, personalized
greeting cards for family and friends, print party invitations, and
otherwise print family photos. I would guess that in a year's time I will
have saved the price of several printers. My first i960 cost $150 from
Amazon and my second one, which I bought for my wife's computer, cost $100
on a close out at CompUSA. I have already saved more than the cost of those
two printers in a half year of refilling.

MIS ink costs $5 per 2 oz (60cc) container. (cheaper in larger volume) An
OEM cart has about 14 cc., but you can not use all of the ink as the printer
gives you an ink out signal when the reservoir is empty. It is advisable to
refill when the reservoir is no more than 3/4 empty. The entire reservoir
takes something in the neighborhood of 10 cc. You would get six or so
refills per 2 oz container if you waited for the entire reservoir to empty
(not advisable). This works out to be a cost of $5 as opposed to 6x$12 =
$72 if you purchased the carts retail. What you do, essentially, is make
the ink cost nominal. All this and beautiful photos! For my canon i960 I
purchased 2 oz containers of each color ink - six containers. This provides
about 36 refills at a cost of $30 plus shipping - about $1 per refill. Best
price for OEM carts at about $10 per cart would be $360. At retail that
would amount to about $430. We shouldn't forget the cost of the carts
themselves. I'm still using the original carts that came with the printer,
some of which have been refilled six or so times and are still working as
new. I did buy empty carts recently for about $4 each, and that cost should
be factored in if we are really doing close cost accounting. I've had no
problems with the printer clogging, skipping, banding, or ink leaking. In
about six months I've already saved enough to buy my two printers. It
makes sense to me.

If you want to buy already filled carts I have read good reviews on this
newsgroup about the Alotofthings Arrow carts (not their Rainbow carts) that
cost a bit more than $2 apiece on their ebay store. They are filled with
Formulabs inks. They also sell Formulab ink in bulk. I am presently happy
with the MIS ink and see no reason to change. I may buy a "12 pack" of
Alotofthings Arrowjet carts and try them on my wife's printer as a
comparison. I have read that these can also be refilled as well.

If you haven't gone on Neil Slades site it is worth a read. This is the
info that really motivated me to get rid of an Epson in fine working
condition, buy the i960, and use the MIS refill inks. the site is
http://www.neilslade.com/papers/inkjetstuff.html

The fact is that I can easily afford OEM inks, OEM papers, and any printer I
would want to buy. If Neil's info had been incorrect I would be out the
cost of a printer - $150 worst case. I decided to go for it just for the
fun of beating the system. I am retired, have the time to play with this
stuff, and don't like to be intimidated by technology or commercialism. I
like to be "hands on" and do as many steps in the process as I am able. It
worked out better than that by far as the i960 printer and MIS inks produce
gorgeous photos.

As evidenced by the number of posts and responses you do on the newsgroup
you also have more than enough time on your hands to do this if you wish.
Your risk factor, the cost of an ip4000, is about $150 from what I can glean
from googling the printer, the same as my first i960. You already own a set
of OEM carts that are refillable. for the price of a few syringes, some
medical exam gloves, and a set of bulk refill inks, (plus cart plugs from
computer friends as recommended by Neil Slade) you can give it a try. If
you don't like the colors or feel it is too much work you haven't lost much.
I can only tell you that, so far, I haven't destroyed my printer doing
refilling.

> Based on your total printing costs for the year, how much do you save
> doing all of the work that refilling takes as opposed to just buying the
> same ink via MIS generic carts for $5.00 per?

I believe what you say. I did read Neils article and I have also gone
to Alotofthings. I do not especially like to do business on Ebay or get
involved with pay pal. I hear that they are targets for hackers and
security may be a problem. I write computer programs so I am especially
skeptical about security. The hackers are very bright people.

I am very careful about what e commerce sites I do business with.

One thing does perplex me about 3rd party inks. The MIS ink carts do
not say they are not MIS ink. I find that disturbing. I also do not
know if MIS is the mfg of MIS inks. If they are not then if they change
suppliers than the inks will be different.

I have owned my printer for 5 months and have the original OEM inks. I
would probably use not more than 3 sets. Most of my business documents
are done on my HP. The draft quality on my 990Cse is better than the
Canon standard but slightly slower than the speed of the Canon
standard. The Canon draft speed is no contest. My wife uses that to
print EMail and driving directions.

However, I am tempted to look into 3rd party. I do hear that Formulabs
ink is good.

The bottom line on 3rd party inks from what I glean from this newsgroups
and other like this is that most people who have printer clogging can
trace their problem to 3rd party inks. There are many more Epson
problems than Canon and those people who use pigment colorants like
those in the Epson R800 really have problems.

>I believe what you say. I did read Neils article and I have also gone to
>Alotofthings. I do not especially like to do business on Ebay or get
>involved with pay pal. I hear that they are targets for hackers and
>security may be a problem. I write computer programs so I am especially
>skeptical about security. The hackers are very bright people.

As I recall, paypal doesn't get enough information from you to do identity
theft. I have had two instances of credit card fraud over the 44 years I
have used credit cards. They were low tech cases in which a clerk copied
the info from my card and charged items on it. My net cost was zero,
although I had to spend some time working with the credit card company to
get the charges reversed. A nuisance, but not a disaster.

> I am very careful about what e commerce sites I do business with.
>
> One thing does perplex me about 3rd party inks. The MIS ink carts do not
> say they are not MIS ink. I find that disturbing. I also do not know if
> MIS is the mfg of MIS inks. If they are not then if they change suppliers
> than the inks will be different.

I called MIS tech support and they were up front on this info. They also
said that the prefilled cart inks performed the same as theirs, but I am so
pleased with their product that I wouldn't bother. Although I don't know
Niel Slade personally I believe he is right that there are inks from a few
high quality producers that several retailers like MIS repackage and sell.
Unless the producer of the MIS inks goes out of business or their quality
slips I would expect that they would continue to sell the same product.

> I have owned my printer for 5 months and have the original OEM inks. I
> would probably use not more than 3 sets. Most of my business documents
> are done on my HP. The draft quality on my 990Cse is better than the
> Canon standard but slightly slower than the speed of the Canon standard.
> The Canon draft speed is no contest. My wife uses that to print EMail and
> driving directions.

All my text printing is done on an HP5p laser printer that I have used
without a single glitch for 8 years. If you have a high volume of text
printing a laser printer is more economical to use. If you are still
printing from the original carts after 5 months your color print volume may
not justify refilling. Considering the cost of the refill inks and
equiptment, however, for the cost of about 4 retail carts you would be in
the refill business for a very long time!

> However, I am tempted to look into 3rd party. I do hear that Formulabs
> ink is good.

A poster named Taliesyn has responded to several of your posts and routinely
gives good information and advice. He uses alotofthings carts that have
Formulabs inks. They are available on their ebay store. They sell two
different brands of carts and the one you want is the Arrow cart and not the
Rainbow brand. I emailed them recently and they responded that the Arrow
carts have Formulabs inks and the Rainbow carts do not.

> The bottom line on 3rd party inks from what I glean from this newsgroups
> and other like this is that most people who have printer clogging can
> trace their problem to 3rd party inks. There are many more Epson problems
> than Canon and those people who use pigment colorants like those in the
> Epson R800 really have problems.

I had an Epson printer (dye based inks and pre-chipped carts) that produced
nice looking photos, but not of the quality that my i960 does. Eventually I
did have banding as a result of dried ink buildup under the printhead and
some minor clogging. I was able to bring it back to excellent function with
advice from Art Entlich on this forum. I also started exploring purchase of
a new printer for a variety of reasons and liked Neil Slades info best. The
fact is that all inkjet printers will eventually clog - often from
underutilization. Generally they can be unclogged. both Neil Slade and Art
Entlich have excellent advice for unclogging printers. What I have
understood from most of the posts that relate third party inks to clogging
is that the filling technique and/or condition of a cart that has been
filled several times have a lot to do with what might be perceived as a
clogged jet. Overfilling, not fully sealing the fill hole, and blockage of
the vent hole are some of the causes that give the appearance of a clog.
None of these conditions is usually fatal to the printer or the print head.

Bottom line - we throw caution to the wind every time we drive a car, walk
across the street or step into a bathtub! Mechanical devices don't last
forever. Some people are more cautious than others and are extremely risk
aversive. Others may take extreme risks where caution would be a better
approach. I'm not a sky diver or motorcycle rider, but I do drive and will
fly with a bush pilot in a single engine plane to go fly fishing in a remote
area. You've certainly gathered enough information to decide, yea or nay,
about third party inks and/or refilling.

Burt wrote:

>>I believe what you say. I did read Neils article and I have also gone to
>>Alotofthings. I do not especially like to do business on Ebay or get
>>involved with pay pal. I hear that they are targets for hackers and
>>security may be a problem. I write computer programs so I am especially
>>skeptical about security. The hackers are very bright people.
>>

>As I recall, paypal doesn't get enough information from you to do identity
>theft. I have had two instances of credit card fraud over the 44 years I
>have used credit cards. They were low tech cases in which a clerk copied
>the info from my card and charged items on it. My net cost was zero,
>although I had to spend some time working with the credit card company to
>get the charges reversed. A nuisance, but not a disaster.
>

>>I am very careful about what e commerce sites I do business with.
>>
>>One thing does perplex me about 3rd party inks. The MIS ink carts do not
>>say they are not MIS ink. I find that disturbing. I also do not know if
>>MIS is the mfg of MIS inks. If they are not then if they change suppliers
>>than the inks will be different.
>>

>I called MIS tech support and they were up front on this info. They also
>said that the prefilled cart inks performed the same as theirs, but I am so
>pleased with their product that I wouldn't bother.

I cannot understand why your supplier for MIS does not use MIS in their
pre-filled cartridges. Just because they say they are as good it would
be nice to know the brand. I would like to see posts on that. I would
also like to find a supplier for Formulabs carts other than
Alotofthings. I find it difficult to get good information on their poor
Ebay and incomplete corporate websites. I also do not like the fact
that they actually say they do not want phone calls and they do not take
orders on the phone.

I find it difficult that as large a company as Formulabs is, they do not
have numbers retailers selling their stuff.

>Although I don't know
>Niel Slade personally I believe he is right that there are inks from a few
>high quality producers that several retailers like MIS repackage and sell.

I would like to know who those few high quality producers are and what
retailers like MIS are selling to who. I emailed many of these
retailers asking who their mfg/formulators were. The answers I received
varied widely and could not be tabulated into those "few high quality
producers" Neil talks about.

I certainly would like to see a dozen retailers selling any one of those
3 high quality producers. Then it would be easy to track information on
them both positive and negative.

>Unless the producer of the MIS inks goes out of business or their quality
>slips I would expect that they would continue to sell the same product.
>

>>I have owned my printer for 5 months and have the original OEM inks. I
>>would probably use not more than 3 sets. Most of my business documents
>>are done on my HP. The draft quality on my 990Cse is better than the
>>Canon standard but slightly slower than the speed of the Canon standard.
>>The Canon draft speed is no contest. My wife uses that to print EMail and
>>driving directions.
>>

>All my text printing is done on an HP5p laser printer that I have used
>without a single glitch for 8 years. If you have a high volume of text
>printing a laser printer is more economical to use.

I do not have a high volume of text. The computer programs I print
require the use of a color printer. The keywords, arguments, and
statements all print in different colors.

I think one reason you do not have problems with MIS is the sheer volume
you print. May others who use MIS and print infrequently have some
problems. I do not know but I would like to hear from them.

>If you are still
>printing from the original carts after 5 months your color print volume may
>not justify refilling. Considering the cost of the refill inks and
>equiptment, however, for the cost of about 4 retail carts you would be in
>the refill business for a very long time!
>

>>However, I am tempted to look into 3rd party. I do hear that Formulabs
>>ink is good.
>>

>A poster named Taliesyn has responded to several of your posts and routinely
>gives good information and advice. He uses alotofthings carts that have
>Formulabs inks. They are available on their ebay store. They sell two
>different brands of carts and the one you want is the Arrow cart and not the
>Rainbow brand. I emailed them recently and they responded that the Arrow
>carts have Formulabs inks and the Rainbow carts do not.
>

>>The bottom line on 3rd party inks from what I glean from this newsgroups
>>and other like this is that most people who have printer clogging can
>>trace their problem to 3rd party inks. There are many more Epson problems
>>than Canon and those people who use pigment colorants like those in the
>>Epson R800 really have problems.
>>

>I had an Epson printer (dye based inks and pre-chipped carts) that produced
>nice looking photos, but not of the quality that my i960 does. Eventually I
>did have banding as a result of dried ink buildup under the printhead and
>some minor clogging. I was able to bring it back to excellent function with
>advice from Art Entlich on this forum. I also started exploring purchase of
>a new printer for a variety of reasons and liked Neil Slades info best. The
>fact is that all inkjet printers will eventually clog - often from
>underutilization.

So far I am fortunate.

>Generally they can be unclogged. both Neil Slade and Art
>Entlich have excellent advice for unclogging printers. What I have
>understood from most of the posts that relate third party inks to clogging
>is that the filling technique and/or condition of a cart that has been
>filled several times have a lot to do with what might be perceived as a
>clogged jet. Overfilling, not fully sealing the fill hole, and blockage of
>the vent hole are some of the causes that give the appearance of a clog.
>None of these conditions is usually fatal to the printer or the print head.
>
>Bottom line - we throw caution to the wind every time we drive a car, walk
>across the street or step into a bathtub! Mechanical devices don't last
>forever. Some people are more cautious than others and are extremely risk
>aversive. Others may take extreme risks where caution would be a better
>approach. I'm not a sky diver or motorcycle rider, but I do drive and will
>fly with a bush pilot in a single engine plane to go fly fishing in a remote
>area. You've certainly gathered enough information to decide, yea or nay,
>about third party inks and/or refilling.

The information I would like are some kind of official results that
would prove that sellers A<B<C<D<E<etc sell producer X, Y and Z, either
under their own brand or with the factory name. If they use their own
brand they should disclose the factory since this is the criteria you
need to know, based on market reputation, how the ink will perform in
your brand of printer and against you printer OEM inks.

BURT

> The information I would like are some kind of official results that would
> prove that sellers A<B<C<D<E<etc sell producer X, Y and Z, either under
> their own brand or with the factory name. If they use their own brand
> they should disclose the factory since this is the criteria you need to
> know, based on market reputation, how the ink will perform in your brand
> of printer and against you printer OEM inks.

Unfortunately the marketplace doesn't work that way! For an example look at
the kitchen appliance market. Some mfgrs make several brands of the same
appliance with different brand labels afixed. Some cheaper ones from the
same mfgr may be low end, but some are essentially the same with different
trim features. Sears appliances (for the most part, good quality) are all
made by major mfgrs. GM and Ford manufacture cars that are essentially
twins with different trim features, and the lowest priced Lexus is a
actually a Toyota Camry with more luxurious trim. The country in which some
of these cars are manufactured may vary as well. It is, unfortunately, up
to the consumer to "look behind the curtain" of commerce to be better
informed. Ecommerce pulls another veil over the consumers' eyes. There are
individual web sites and forum posts that I have seen that have evaluated
color balance and fade resistance for several of the major sellers' inks. I
have not kept the addresses or I would pass them on to you. The one I liked
best compared half a dozen mfgs inks side by side. The color swatches were
remarkably similar with some minor differences that would probably not be
apparent in photos unless shown side by side. With glossy photo paper the
fade resistance was reasonably similar, but the Canon inks were the best in
that area. Before I embarked on using MIS inks I did side by side
comparisons of photos printed with MIS and OEM inks. Really hard to tell
the difference! With many things there is no sure thing or guarantee.

Burt wrote:
> "measekite" <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>

>>The information I would like are some kind of official results that would
>>prove that sellers A<B<C<D<E<etc sell producer X, Y and Z, either under
>>their own brand or with the factory name. If they use their own brand
>>they should disclose the factory since this is the criteria you need to
>>know, based on market reputation, how the ink will perform in your brand
>>of printer and against you printer OEM inks.
>

> Unfortunately the marketplace doesn't work that way! For an example look at
> the kitchen appliance market. Some mfgrs make several brands of the same
> appliance with different brand labels afixed. Some cheaper ones from the
> same mfgr may be low end, but some are essentially the same with different
> trim features. Sears appliances (for the most part, good quality) are all
> made by major mfgrs. GM and Ford manufacture cars that are essentially
> twins with different trim features, and the lowest priced Lexus is a
> actually a Toyota Camry with more luxurious trim. The country in which some
> of these cars are manufactured may vary as well. It is, unfortunately, up
> to the consumer to "look behind the curtain" of commerce to be better
> informed. Ecommerce pulls another veil over the consumers' eyes. There are
> individual web sites and forum posts that I have seen that have evaluated
> color balance and fade resistance for several of the major sellers' inks. I
> have not kept the addresses or I would pass them on to you. The one I liked
> best compared half a dozen mfgs inks side by side. The color swatches were
> remarkably similar with some minor differences that would probably not be
> apparent in photos unless shown side by side. With glossy photo paper the
> fade resistance was reasonably similar, but the Canon inks were the best in
> that area. Before I embarked on using MIS inks I did side by side
> comparisons of photos printed with MIS and OEM inks. Really hard to tell
> the difference! With many things there is no sure thing or guarantee.

This past week I printed a color photo for my father using my iP5000,
fueled with a brand called Vivi Color (Chinese made, filled with US
Formulabs ink). I then ran off a copy of the same shot with my secondary
printer, an i860. It's loaded with a new blank set of cartridges I
filled with ink from Hobbi-Colors. The photos were lovely and I couldn't
really discern any differences in color. I never bothered hauling out
the OEM Canon cartridges for a third opinion. I'm pretty well through
comparing. It wastes a lot of ink, machine and paper needlessly. The
differences I have seen between brands is mostly negligible. I think
it's time for more creativity and less comparativity. Did I just invent
a new word? Yeah, according to my spell checker in my emailer, I did.
But it rhymes, so consider it creativity!

Anyone use shadow box frames to display their photos? These are
natural wood frames with the glass about an inch in front of the photo.
Literally a glass box! It gives you a kind of 3D look, sort of. I think
they really add something to the image, much more than a normal frame
ever could. Hard to explain. It's something you have to see for
yourselves. The ones I use come from my dollar store. I have expensive
tastes. The wood is soft and natural finish, so it's dull looking and
"not suitable for framing". I sand them a bit and stain them, and they
suddenly look expensive. There's even room for a custom name plate at
the bottom identifying the photo subject, date and camera used. Photo
size is about 4.5" x 6". I'll have to look around for some larger ones
in a real store. :)

-Taliesyn

Burt wrote:

>>The information I would like are some kind of official results that would
>>prove that sellers A<B<C<D<E<etc sell producer X, Y and Z, either under
>>their own brand or with the factory name. If they use their own brand
>>they should disclose the factory since this is the criteria you need to
>>know, based on market reputation, how the ink will perform in your brand
>>of printer and against you printer OEM inks.
>>

>Unfortunately the marketplace doesn't work that way! For an example look at
>the kitchen appliance market. Some mfgrs make several brands of the same
>appliance with different brand labels afixed. Some cheaper ones from the
>same mfgr may be low end, but some are essentially the same with different
>trim features.
>
>Sears appliances (for the most part, good quality) are all
>made by major mfgrs.

Yes but in this case information is readily available as to who makes it
and what the basic differences are.

>GM and Ford manufacture cars that are essentially
>twins with different trim features, and the lowest priced Lexus is a
>actually a Toyota Camry with more luxurious trim.

Same platform but more than different Trim. A Honda Accord is not the
same as the Acura TL even though they share the same platform. I have
both. The TL has a different engine, transmission, suspension, turning
radius, seat, and many other differences. They do share similar knobs,
switches and glass. But you know who the manufacture is and who the
seller is. All are brand names.

>The country in which some
>of these cars are manufactured may vary as well. It is, unfortunately, up
>to the consumer to "look behind the curtain" of commerce to be better
>informed.

In the case of cars you do not have a bunch of (not all of them) sleazy
web retailers hiding behind the Internet trying to hid what they are
selling and provide the minimum amount of information they can get away
with. Plus in the case of cars there is a half dozen reputable magazine
and other agencies that continually review and disclose information to
the public. One does not have to hunt for it.

> Ecommerce pulls another veil over the consumers' eyes. There are
>individual web sites and forum posts that I have seen that have evaluated
>color balance and fade resistance for several of the major sellers' inks. I
>have not kept the addresses or I would pass them on to you. The one I liked
>best compared half a dozen mfgs inks side by side. The color swatches were
>remarkably similar with some minor differences that would probably not be
>apparent in photos unless shown side by side. With glossy photo paper the
>fade resistance was reasonably similar, but the Canon inks were the best in
>that area. Before I embarked on using MIS inks I did side by side
>comparisons of photos printed with MIS and OEM inks. Really hard to tell
>the difference! With many things there is no sure thing or guarantee.

Does anyone sell prefilled carts using MIS ink. I would also like to
know the same for Formulabs except for Alotofthings. These are two I
hear some good things about but I sure would welcome a professional
comparative review.

TRENDING THREADS