Please help!! Can't open .EXE Window files

I don't know what I did, but I have an HP Pavilion l5300 laptop. I
downloaded SP-2 last week and everything seemed to be fine. When I first
encountered my problem, most of the icons on my desktop came up displaying
the WinZip icon. The same olds true when I open All Programs. I've lost
some kind of association between .EXE files.

If I select Start - Run and try to execute "CMD" or "COMMAND" a pop-up
message states that it can't open the file and to select the Internet or
select from the program list pop-up menu. I don't have a clue what program
to associate an EXE file with.

Some programs run. Obviuoisly the Internet Explorer works otherwise I
wouldn't be writing this. Should I totall re-install XP on my PC (don't
really want to do it if possible) or there something else I could look at and
change to resolve my problem.

As info, any of the programs I select that have new WinZip icon on them open
the WinZip program. Please - any help would be appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance for your help!

I also can't open items like Regedit, Help & Support etc.

"Rednosebob" wrote:

> I don't know what I did, but I have an HP Pavilion l5300 laptop. I
> downloaded SP-2 last week and everything seemed to be fine. When I first
> encountered my problem, most of the icons on my desktop came up displaying
> the WinZip icon. The same olds true when I open All Programs. I've lost
> some kind of association between .EXE files.
>
> If I select Start - Run and try to execute "CMD" or "COMMAND" a pop-up
> message states that it can't open the file and to select the Internet or
> select from the program list pop-up menu. I don't have a clue what program
> to associate an EXE file with.
>
> Some programs run. Obviuoisly the Internet Explorer works otherwise I
> wouldn't be writing this. Should I totall re-install XP on my PC (don't
> really want to do it if possible) or there something else I could look at and
> change to resolve my problem.
>
> As info, any of the programs I select that have new WinZip icon on them open
> the WinZip program. Please - any help would be appreciated!!!
>
> Thanks in advance for your help!

Can't open EXE files
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555067&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Rednosebob" wrote:

| I don't know what I did, but I have an HP Pavilion l5300 laptop. I
| downloaded SP-2 last week and everything seemed to be fine. When I first
| encountered my problem, most of the icons on my desktop came up displaying
| the WinZip icon. The same olds true when I open All Programs. I've lost
| some kind of association between .EXE files.
|
| If I select Start - Run and try to execute "CMD" or "COMMAND" a pop-up
| message states that it can't open the file and to select the Internet or
| select from the program list pop-up menu. I don't have a clue what program
| to associate an EXE file with.
|
| Some programs run. Obviuoisly the Internet Explorer works otherwise I
| wouldn't be writing this. Should I totall re-install XP on my PC (don't
| really want to do it if possible) or there something else I could look at and
| change to resolve my problem.
|
| As info, any of the programs I select that have new WinZip icon on them open
| the WinZip program. Please - any help would be appreciated!!!
|
| Thanks in advance for your help!

When I go to run and enter "command.com, a pop-up window appears stating it
can't open the file and asks if I want to select it from the Internet or from
the program list. I'll still stuck, but thanks for responding!

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Can't open EXE files
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555067&Product=winxp
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
>
> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

> "Rednosebob" wrote:
>
> | I don't know what I did, but I have an HP Pavilion l5300 laptop. I
> | downloaded SP-2 last week and everything seemed to be fine. When I first
> | encountered my problem, most of the icons on my desktop came up displaying
> | the WinZip icon. The same olds true when I open All Programs. I've lost
> | some kind of association between .EXE files.
> |
> | If I select Start - Run and try to execute "CMD" or "COMMAND" a pop-up
> | message states that it can't open the file and to select the Internet or
> | select from the program list pop-up menu. I don't have a clue what program
> | to associate an EXE file with.
> |
> | Some programs run. Obviuoisly the Internet Explorer works otherwise I
> | wouldn't be writing this. Should I totall re-install XP on my PC (don't
> | really want to do it if possible) or there something else I could look at and
> | change to resolve my problem.
> |
> | As info, any of the programs I select that have new WinZip icon on them open
> | the WinZip program. Please - any help would be appreciated!!!
> |
> | Thanks in advance for your help!

Go to Start > Run and type: CMD , and hit enter.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Rednosebob" wrote:

| When I go to run and enter "command.com, a pop-up window appears stating it
| can't open the file and asks if I want to select it from the Internet or from
| the program list. I'll still stuck, but thanks for responding!

Same resulys. It wont open/execute the file

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Go to Start > Run and type: CMD , and hit enter.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
>
> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

> "Rednosebob" wrote:
>
> | When I go to run and enter "command.com, a pop-up window appears stating it
> | can't open the file and asks if I want to select it from the Internet or from
> | the program list. I'll still stuck, but thanks for responding!

At this point, I would recommend performing a standard,
non-destructive recovery:

Compaq Presario Desktop PCs - How to Perform a System Recovery
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/famiDocument?product=89327&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&docname=c00007689

Afterward, reinstall SP2.

HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - Important Information for Upgrading
to Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?dlc=en&lc=en&cc=us&docname=c00218731&lang=en&cc=us

Windows XP Service Pack 2 - Direct Download
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Rednosebob" wrote:

|I also can't open items like Regedit, Help & Support etc.

I use Outlokk Express. Is there anyway I can save my address book and email
before I do a completely re-install? Thanks so much for your help!

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> At this point, I would recommend performing a standard,
> non-destructive recovery:
>
> Compaq Presario Desktop PCs - How to Perform a System Recovery
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/famiDocument?product=89327&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&docname=c00007689
>
> Afterward, reinstall SP2.
>
> HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - Important Information for Upgrading
> to Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?dlc=en&lc=en&cc=us&docname=c00218731&lang=en&cc=us
>
> Windows XP Service Pack 2 - Direct Download
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
>
> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

> "Rednosebob" wrote:
>
> |I also can't open items like Regedit, Help & Support etc.

Rednosebob,

From Tom koch's website:
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/backup/index.htm

Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 09:25:04 -0700, Rednosebob wrote:

> I don't know what I did, but I have an HP Pavilion l5300 laptop. I
> downloaded SP-2 last week and everything seemed to be fine. When I first
> encountered my problem, most of the icons on my desktop came up displaying
> the WinZip icon. The same olds true when I open All Programs. I've lost
> some kind of association between .EXE files.

Your path statements may be messed up and/or the registry entries for *.EXE
files may be damaged. The second possibility - registry entries - is common
with some virus intrusions and some overly aggressive cleanup programs. MVP
Doug Knox has a fix for this on his web page:

Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

I re-installed XP and all the other application programs (with updates), and
although I lost a lot of email everything is working fine. Thank you all for
your help!

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 13:35:03 -0700, Rednosebob wrote:

> I re-installed XP and all the other application programs (with updates), and
> although I lost a lot of email everything is working fine. Thank you all for
> your help!

You're welcome and I'm glad that you have things fixed up.

If not sure if there was a virus infection that went undetected, a clean
start is an effective method to regain peace of mind that there are no
other lingering traces of the virus hanging around. While not always
necessary, certainly understand why one would opt for this approach under
the circumstances.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User