Sign in with
Your question

AMD .065nm by december says vr-zone

Last response: in CPUs
May 14, 2006 8:58:53 PM

http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=3643

A few surising things like the FX64 @ 3.0ghz on .09nm. Hopefully AMD will be able to ship some volume with their 2 fab's + chartered going hard this year. The .065nm AMD chips are supposed to clock like crazy.
May 14, 2006 9:07:10 PM

Quote:

A few surising things like the FX64 @ 3.0ghz on .09nm. Hopefully AMD will be able to ship some volume with their 2 fab's + chartered going hard this year. The .065nm AMD chips are supposed to clock like crazy.

Yet, all of the first 65nm models are slower than the fastest 90nm models?
May 14, 2006 9:23:46 PM

Quote:

Low yields and low production.
Related resources
May 14, 2006 9:27:32 PM

For you spud.

May 14, 2006 9:47:51 PM

Very interesting ideed.

That's something I'e been waiting 65nm AMD micros.
Let's see what happens with all the Z-RAM stuff.

The second 65 nanos would be something to look for (I hope :p )
May 14, 2006 10:24:10 PM

I wonder, why FX-64 @3GHz at 90nm?
It will be expencive as hell, why not 65nm?!?
Anyway, better models=better competition=lowering prices of the other old models.
May 14, 2006 10:25:03 PM

This announcement should be in all caps, like all positive AMD news.
May 14, 2006 10:29:55 PM

You are angry just cuz you couldn't use the keyboard...

That's ok, I'd feel the same xD
May 14, 2006 10:59:20 PM

Quote:

It's AMD's normal move just like when the FX55 was still .13nm while everything lower had made its way over to the newer .09nm
I'm sure in the end AMD will edn up doing amazing things with .065 just like they did with .09nm
May 14, 2006 11:02:14 PM

Quote:

It's AMD's normal move just like when the FX55 was still .13nm while everything lower had made its way over to the newer .09nm
I'm sure in the end AMD will edn up doing amazing things with .065 just like they did with .09nm

Just as amazeing as Intel’s process switching less Intel has fab capacity to actually roll out a full product line on a new process. I’m not bashing AMD just stating both parties do great things with their processes.
May 14, 2006 11:05:05 PM

Quote:

Just as amassing as Intel’s process switching less Intel has fab capacity to actually roll out a full product line on a new process. I’m not bashing AMD just stating both parties do great things with their processes.
Agreed
May 14, 2006 11:44:00 PM

Quote:
Just as amassing as Intel’s process switching less Intel has fab capacity to actually roll out a full product line on a new process. I’m not bashing AMD just stating both parties do great things with their processes.

Intel made the switch gradually too. They didnt roll out 65nm on all their fabs at one time. Not sure where you get your info.
May 14, 2006 11:45:27 PM

Quote:

Intel made the switch gradually too. They didnt roll out 65nm on all their fabs at one time. Not sure where you get your info.

I never said they did.
May 15, 2006 12:30:15 AM

Quote:
This announcement should be in all caps, like all positive AMD news.
Cant use the keyboard cant you?

Quote:

What if this was an intel thread would he?
May 15, 2006 12:34:33 AM

Quote:
Cant use the keyboard cant you?

It was a dig at the horde, mainly 9nm and fullofsh!t.
May 15, 2006 1:20:05 AM

thank you for not posting this in all caps.

I had thought AMD was going to ship 65nm sooner because of chartered?
May 15, 2006 1:50:19 AM

That is good news that they are online for a late Q4 launch of 65nm. That seems more in line with reality. I'm curious to see what TDP they hit with that process, that microarchitecture, and those clock speeds.

That is too bad that FX-62 and FX-64 are still 90nm Windsor with the standard cache sizes and 125W TDP...
May 15, 2006 1:50:37 AM

Quote:

What if this was an intel thread would he?
Prolly :p 
May 15, 2006 2:18:55 AM

Quote:
That is good news that they are online for a late Q4 launch of 65nm. That seems more in line with reality. I'm curious to see what TDP they hit with that process, that microarchitecture, and those clock speeds.

That is too bad that FX-62 and FX-64 are still 90nm Windsor with the standard cache sizes and 125W TDP...

I'm suprised to see that too. those are going to be some hot running chips; 125w tdp. I find this to be somewhat of an irony.

my guess is AMD wants to push clock speed as much as they can, even with 90nm, to keep performance up with core 2 coming. impressive in a way to see the A64 move into the mid 3ghz area, since their architecture wasn't designed for high clocks as much as the p4 was, and the p4 really wouldn't go much past 3.8ghz-4ghz on 90nm.

edit: not an attack at manufacturing process or anything, just an observation.
May 15, 2006 3:48:49 AM

Quote:
Also, 0.065 nm is about one 1/3 of the diameter of a hydrogen atom, it should be 65 nm

I've been waiting for someone to mention that little detail. Then again, we don't want to pump hydrogen atoms through our CPUs. think small!
May 15, 2006 4:14:49 AM

Quote:
:lol:  :lol:  It's not an uncommon mistake, until 90 nm, length scales were quoted in microns (0.13 um, 0.18 um), it is either 0.065 um or 65 nm, take your pick. (note u= greek mu).

I hear ya. I used to do microscopy and surface analysis of electronic materials so I've heard a ton of unit abuse. A pet peeve was always "degrees Kelvin" but mixing picos with femtos could get me on edge too.

I prefered to specialize in a completely different kind of unit abuse, myself...

Quote:
In a couple of weeks we should get some really good detail on the timelines as AMD will host it's investor conference meeting.

Yea, I look forward to it and wonder if the facts will be hidden behind a cloaking device.
May 15, 2006 7:48:12 AM

N2 cooled Hitatchi 4200's? that was a hell of a sem tool. Spent many hours of frustration uploading 120MB scans into the stock 166MHz beast of a system that comes in em.
May 15, 2006 8:46:34 AM

I can't upload em, but I have a few pictures of some MEMs we made in the lab. A working water pump that moves 2 or 3 molecules of water at a time was the coolest we made. We were thinking about blowing it up a good 90x and running coolant of some sort within the die itself to help with cooling. But that's just some crazy dream with a little basis in reality for now.
May 15, 2006 9:44:18 AM

Action man wrote
Quote:
It was a dig at the horde, mainly 9nm and fullofsh!t.

So are you but we dont complain about amd.
May 15, 2006 9:50:16 AM

Quote:
So are you but we dont complain.

I'm what? A dig at the horde?

How's it going LMM?
May 15, 2006 9:59:41 AM

Even your edit is stupid.

As if you're not one of the horde with another account.

I've got a picture for you.

May 15, 2006 10:13:49 AM

Quote:
How's it going LMM?

What happened to MMM?
May 15, 2006 10:16:26 AM

He got banned. Then he came back under the very subtle username of x86-64, trolled some more and got banned again. Now I suspect hes back again as Vampire_Lestat.
May 15, 2006 10:27:07 AM

I just have to say, slightly off-topic, that if AMD could make a 0.065 nm chip, I'd buy one for the novelty of the fact that you probably wouldn't be able to see the chip itself. 65 nm bud, 65 nm.

EDIT:
Quote:
BTW: K8MAN quality post. Also, 0.065 nm is about one 1/3 of the diameter of a hydrogen atom, it should be 65 nm :wink:
Jack

My point exactly.

Interesting though, I'd like to see what they hope to come up with on 65.
May 15, 2006 10:35:46 AM

No that a picture of your grandma. I think you need your eyes checked.
May 15, 2006 10:38:00 AM

why dont you post mmm and who is he? let start calling Action man the Flamer of all posts.
May 15, 2006 10:41:21 AM

How lame. Oh well I don't want to derail this thread anymore and get it locked so I'll just say you're a sock puppet and leave it be.
May 15, 2006 10:48:21 AM

It seems Action man want anything from Amd sites lock so he Must worship Intel. Face this fact Action man each person has there views. You dont have to ruin them. I think you should be ban for a nutcase about Amd stuff.
May 15, 2006 10:49:42 AM

:lol:  You sound more like classic LMM with every post.
May 15, 2006 10:54:14 AM

Funny I still dont know who he she is. Here a idea im him her. But one thing I need to say Action Man you need to grow up and act like a Adult.
May 15, 2006 10:57:47 AM

Quote:
Funny I still dont know who he she is. Here a idea im him her. But one thing I need to say Action Man you need to grow up and act like a Adult.

STFU
May 15, 2006 11:05:11 AM

stfu no more newb trolling . . . yeah, i joined like 2 hours ago and i'm calling you a n00b. lay off action man, he do what he want, jerry springer style.
May 15, 2006 11:12:14 AM

LMM.

Surely you remember your old self LMM.
May 15, 2006 11:21:07 AM

The only trolling is Action Man and his Flaming Amd stuff. You all need to act like a adult and grow up.
May 15, 2006 11:22:44 AM

Quote:
The only trolling is Action Man and his Flaming Amd stuff. You all need to act like a adult and grow up.

STFU
May 15, 2006 11:27:17 AM

:lol:  Well I'm heading off. It's good to have you back LMM.

May 15, 2006 11:35:56 AM

Hay gOJDO go play with Action Man Baby toys that will keep you calm. I see you always flame Amd and that a insult to tomshardware fourms.
May 15, 2006 11:45:55 AM

Quote:
Hay gOJDO go play with Action Man Baby toys that will keep you calm. I see you always flame Amd and that a insult to tomshardware fourms.

Yeap we do play with YOU(the best baby toy ever found online), and I am calm, chilled out like ice. I thought you've noticed, but...
Well if what I am talking about the AMD fanboy trolls is true, than that is an insult. The truth hurts. I never knew that TH Forumz are owned and biased to AMD. Are you sure?
May 15, 2006 1:20:43 PM

MMM was my freind he used to take on all the intel fanboy's one by one when Ycon declared prescott the most awesome architecture abd k8 a peice of sh*t me,mike(MMM),Bullsh!tter(now called retthisllub) and i think 9-inch took him down with hard facts see us amd fanboy's hate intel fanboy's cause they are superiostic ass****s they think whatever intel makes is great and fool proof but that's not true see prescott was sh*t northwood was okay willamette was also sh*t but p3(p6) was okay and since most intel fanboy's cant admit that prescott was a total peice of sh*t(getting owned by a sempron on some occasians) that pissed us off the reason i became an amd fanboy was because of intel fanboy's declaring that prescott was awesome and unstopabble and it could own any thing that amd had but that aint true look a k7 can beat a northwood 400 mhz over it's clocks speed but a it can own a prescott at 1ghz over it's clockspeed same with k8 except that with k8's integrated mem controller and ht link it could go as high 1.2 ghz or maybe 1.4 ghz(winchester 3200 vs p4 3.4 ghz) see MMM aint here right now cause of all this conroe sh*t it seems that all the intel fanboy's are coming out of the woodwork and dissing k8 and k8l but thats usual wait till 07 when k10 is released we just might see a turn around.

P.S. This does not apply to Apache_lives he uses common sense not like most of the other intel fanboy's here.
May 15, 2006 3:23:30 PM

Quote:
Really, care to enumarate your expertise? I did quite abit of SEM and AFM work in the past.

Most of my experience in the advanced electronics area involved static SIMS of polymeric materials such as dielectrics, PLED components, etc. In general that kind of work involved adhesion issues, migration of components to surfaces, etc. Plenty of dynamic SIMS of electronic materials too, but our instrument was a TOF that was designed for organic and polymeric analysis and it was slow on depth profiling. But we used profiles to look at migration of components across interfaces, etc. I did some SEM too, even light microscopy. We had a couple of people that did all of the AFM type stuff, a couple more that did the FIB-SEM, although I did have a little involvement there too. I also developed a bunch of methods for preparing cross-sections of multilater materials for SEM, light or TEM analysis. It was a big group, like 50 people globally - fun stuff, I really enjoyed it but have since moved on to a different area. (unit abuse experience deleted)
May 15, 2006 4:29:15 PM

That's true, most hardocre intel fanboys are extremely closed. I admit that p3 was really god, P-M is awesome too. But netburst+prescott=I'd rather be dead than have this. So, equally, they must admit that netburst had nothing against K8. If the new microarchitecture kicks K8 and the upcoming AM2 (also K8).....well, that's another story, but you can't compare a whole new architecture to an "updated" one.

About your statement of a sempron making a P4 weep, well, in some tests it does, but in others it doesn't
Evidence= http://sky.prohosting.com/dabook/dhindex.htm

@ Least a sempron is cheaper than a P4 and performs not that bad for the price :p 

Finally, about the conroe saga.....when those damn test made their appearance it unleashed a sh17s70rm worse than any AMD Vs Intel flaming before

How easily ppl is influenced by stuff, do you realize the high amount of P-D-805 threads that were creatied since THG published their "4.1Ghz dual 130$" article?

The force indeed can affect the thoughts of the feeble-minded xD
May 15, 2006 5:04:18 PM

Quote:
That's true, most hardocre intel fanboys are extremely closed. I admit that p3 was really god, P-M is awesome too. But netburst+prescott=I'd rather be dead than have this. So, equally, they must admit that netburst had nothing against K8. If the new microarchitecture kicks K8 and the upcoming AM2 (also K8).....well, that's another story, but you can't compare a whole new architecture to an "updated" one.

About your statement of a sempron making a P4 weep, well, in some tests it does, but in others it doesn't
Evidence= http://sky.prohosting.com/dabook/dhindex.htm

@ Least a sempron is cheaper than a P4 and performs not that bad for the price :p 

Finally, about the conroe saga.....when those damn test made their appearance it unleashed a sh17s70rm worse than any AMD Vs Intel flaming before

How easily ppl is influenced by stuff, do you realize the high amount of P-D-805 threads that were creatied since THG published their "4.1Ghz dual 130$" article?

The force indeed can affect the thoughts of the feeble-minded xD

I'm glad that you agree with me. Did you ever meet an intel fanboy who does'nt diss amd? Uhh i was talking about the sempron 64 2800 it can own a prescott up to 2.8 ghz in most games i saw the results my self at the local comp shop the prescott was the 521 with 1 gig ddr2 533 ram and the sempron had 1 gig ddr 400 ram same graphics card x700 the sempron got 8 fps over the prescott and in F.E.A.R. it was pretty even the prescott cause of it's larger cache got 1 fps higher and on bf2 the fps was even max 60 fps on both thats what impressed me about amd. And Have you ever seen an intel fanboy deny logic if my intel fanboy thread was still here you would know what i was talking about (maybe i should republish it hmm?)

btw you are'nt a fanboy are you?
May 15, 2006 5:20:17 PM

Well, I haven't had the chance of game testing :p , so I can't say anything about Sempron Vs P4 in gaming grounds from my own sources :p 
However, even if the P4 beats the sempron, there's a price difference between the two micros that should be considered

Quote:
Did you ever meet an intel fanboy who does'nt diss amd?

That's like windows 98 without blue screens, simply it ain't gonna happen

Quote:

Price/performance/Value fanboy
May 15, 2006 5:35:48 PM

Quote:
Well, I haven't had the chance of game testing :p , so I can't say anything about Sempron Vs P4 in gaming grounds from my own sources :p 
However, even if the P4 beats the sempron, there's a price difference between the two micros that should be considered

The price difference was what won me over.

Quote:
Did you ever meet an intel fanboy who does'nt diss amd?
That's like windows 98 without blue screens, simply it ain't gonna happen I did once. But the comparison your giving is dead on.

Quote:
Price/performance/Value fanboy Thats the kind of fanboy everyone should be.
May 15, 2006 6:04:05 PM

Quote:

I never said they did.

Actually after re-reading it, it doesnt make any sense. Perhaps if you used correct grammer and/or punctuation, we would know what the hell you said.
!