AMD .065nm by december says vr-zone

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=3643

A few surising things like the FX64 @ 3.0ghz on .09nm. Hopefully AMD will be able to ship some volume with their 2 fab's + chartered going hard this year. The .065nm AMD chips are supposed to clock like crazy.
Yet, all of the first 65nm models are slower than the fastest 90nm models?

Low yields and low production.

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006
For you spud.

machine_gun_cat.gif

7H4_D00D3

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
Very interesting ideed.

That's something I'e been waiting 65nm AMD micros.
Let's see what happens with all the Z-RAM stuff.

The second 65 nanos would be something to look for (I hope :p)

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
I wonder, why FX-64 @3GHz at 90nm?
It will be expencive as hell, why not 65nm?!?
Anyway, better models=better competition=lowering prices of the other old models.

K8MAN

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005

A few surising things like the FX64 @ 3.0ghz on .09nm. Hopefully AMD will be able to ship some volume with their 2 fab's + chartered going hard this year. The .065nm AMD chips are supposed to clock like crazy.

It's AMD's normal move just like when the FX55 was still .13nm while everything lower had made its way over to the newer .09nm
I'm sure in the end AMD will edn up doing amazing things with .065 just like they did with .09nm

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001

It's AMD's normal move just like when the FX55 was still .13nm while everything lower had made its way over to the newer .09nm
I'm sure in the end AMD will edn up doing amazing things with .065 just like they did with .09nm

Just as amazeing as Intel’s process switching less Intel has fab capacity to actually roll out a full product line on a new process. I’m not bashing AMD just stating both parties do great things with their processes.

K8MAN

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005

Just as amassing as Intel’s process switching less Intel has fab capacity to actually roll out a full product line on a new process. I’m not bashing AMD just stating both parties do great things with their processes.
Agreed

MrsD

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Just as amassing as Intel’s process switching less Intel has fab capacity to actually roll out a full product line on a new process. I’m not bashing AMD just stating both parties do great things with their processes.

Intel made the switch gradually too. They didnt roll out 65nm on all their fabs at one time. Not sure where you get your info.

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001

Intel made the switch gradually too. They didnt roll out 65nm on all their fabs at one time. Not sure where you get your info.

I never said they did.

iterations

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
That is good news that they are online for a late Q4 launch of 65nm. That seems more in line with reality. I'm curious to see what TDP they hit with that process, that microarchitecture, and those clock speeds.

That is too bad that FX-62 and FX-64 are still 90nm Windsor with the standard cache sizes and 125W TDP...

Legenic

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
That is good news that they are online for a late Q4 launch of 65nm. That seems more in line with reality. I'm curious to see what TDP they hit with that process, that microarchitecture, and those clock speeds.

That is too bad that FX-62 and FX-64 are still 90nm Windsor with the standard cache sizes and 125W TDP...

I'm suprised to see that too. those are going to be some hot running chips; 125w tdp. I find this to be somewhat of an irony.

my guess is AMD wants to push clock speed as much as they can, even with 90nm, to keep performance up with core 2 coming. impressive in a way to see the A64 move into the mid 3ghz area, since their architecture wasn't designed for high clocks as much as the p4 was, and the p4 really wouldn't go much past 3.8ghz-4ghz on 90nm.

edit: not an attack at manufacturing process or anything, just an observation.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
:lol: :lol: It's not an uncommon mistake, until 90 nm, length scales were quoted in microns (0.13 um, 0.18 um), it is either 0.065 um or 65 nm, take your pick. (note u= greek mu).

I hear ya. I used to do microscopy and surface analysis of electronic materials so I've heard a ton of unit abuse. A pet peeve was always "degrees Kelvin" but mixing picos with femtos could get me on edge too.

I prefered to specialize in a completely different kind of unit abuse, myself...

In a couple of weeks we should get some really good detail on the timelines as AMD will host it's investor conference meeting.

Yea, I look forward to it and wonder if the facts will be hidden behind a cloaking device.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
I can't upload em, but I have a few pictures of some MEMs we made in the lab. A working water pump that moves 2 or 3 molecules of water at a time was the coolest we made. We were thinking about blowing it up a good 90x and running coolant of some sort within the die itself to help with cooling. But that's just some crazy dream with a little basis in reality for now.