fm tuner

LaDeDa

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2005
what kind of hardware do you need to record fm input on a computer? using cassette tapes is sorta outdated, and id love to record my favorite shows for my mp3 player.

sturm

Splendid
You can either get a FM tuner card for your pc or just hook up the line-level outputs off of a normal receiver and connect it to the line input on the computer using a rca-1/8" adapter.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It's been a while since I've seen an FM card that wasn't integrated into a TV tuner card. Same with external tuners. And EMI from the PC is always a problem with these products, so your best bet would be to use the line input on the PC, to record from the line output of a stereo, positioned to reduce the negative effect the PC has on the stereo.

If you have a windowed case, you might need to ditch it for something with better EMI protection.

Humpty

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
Well most modern era TV tuner cards have an FM receiver built in, I believe some even have an AM tuner. I have a Logitech USB FM receiver, Its basically an antennae with a small receiver built in the antennae base. It has a single cord that splits into a USB and Line-In for your sound card. I scoured the internet but it seems they discontinued this product. Although I did find a complete knock off HERE . Check it out for yourself!

Hope this helps you :wink: ,
-Hump

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
EMI isn't always an issue. My AIW FM tuner works fine and automatically records about the last two hours of airtime. The only issue is if the PC gets bogged down, the feed will be interrupted.

Sound quality is the same as any other FM radio in the house.