Slow downs every few minutes on my 7800 GTX! :(

EricVPI

Distinguished
May 15, 2006
In "new" games like Oblivion, Condemned, and Cthulu...I can play just fine for about 3 minutes, then the game gets very slow/choppy for about 15 seconds, and the cycle repeats itself.

If I turn resolution to 1024 or below, it goes away mostly. If I keep it at 1200+, it continues. Older games like BF2 and Warcraft III don't get me this problem. I have no idea what the problem could be. I tried changing a whole different bunch of nvidia forceware drivers but the problem remains.

My 7800GTX idles at around 52-59C, and hits about 80 at full load. Could it be a heat issue? I have two intakes and two outakes (including one intake on the side right over the GPU). Has anyone else had this type of problem? It's driving me MAD!

EricVPI

Distinguished
May 15, 2006
AMD 4000+ (Sandra rates gives it a PRC estimate of 3600? wtf?)
1 gig of DDR500 RAM (I have it underclocked because it wasn't stable for some reason at 500).
7800 GTX 256
300gig SATA HD
Abit AX8
Some 500W power supply

MrsD

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
AMD 4000+ doesnt mean 4.0ghz+
Its a speed rating. its only 2.4ghz right so Sandra is gonna estimate what it thinks the processor is capable of and obviously it rates it right there around 3.6ghz if it says 3600.
As to your problem, do you have Norton running? That will certainly cause problems. When playing BF2 I have to disable auto protect as well as disable internet worm protection. You could also have other resource hogging programs running in the background. Cntrl/alt/del to see whats running and turn off anything unnecessary before starting your game. Then see what happens.

EricVPI

Distinguished
May 15, 2006
I opened my case and put a huge fan blowing right into it and so far I haven't gotten the problem again.

Was my GPU idling at 59 too high? It hit 80-83 under full load...

My leadtek PX7800gtx idles at 48°C with a single 120mm case fan. In my NVidia console, the default core slowdown threshold is 115°C so I don't think 80-83 will hurt it. You can always set it to warn you when it hits the threshold.

BF2 does work best with over 1 gig of ram.

EricVPI

Distinguished
May 15, 2006
Something's not quite right. I've got two intakes (one of them a 120mm right on the gpu) and two outtakes...and I idle at 58!

bluntside

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Not likley prozac, but on one part you may be right, I think the ram is good, but why did his ram run unstable at full speed :?
I doubt that this could be the issue, but the mobo, perhaps??
Maybe he should try putting more juice in theram, OC the ram and see whats happens, other than that he could have damaged his GTX by OCing??
WTF :?

FatFunkey

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
what about the CPU Heat ?

i mean if it runs fine then after 3min or so it starts chugging it sounds like Heat, or mabey spyware

so if u could post us the temps of the CPU and run a Spyware cleaner (ie Adware or Spybot Search & Destroy)

EricVPI

Distinguished
May 15, 2006
It's not spyware.

I checked GPU temperature during a game and it's at 93C!

I have overlocked my GPU before, but it's not overclocked now. Could the four socket connector plugged into my 7800 gtx be messed up?

CPU temperature seems fine.

PX7800GT

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
Call Of Ctuhulu Has Less Graphic Than BattleField 2 , I Finished it @ 1600x1200 Max Easily ...
I Say Back up Your Hard Drive , Then Format All of Your Drives , Intsall A New Fresh Windows XP+Service Pack 2 & Install The Lastest Drivers For All Of Your Parts ... This May Solve Your Problem ...
If You Don`t Wish To Do This , Download PerfectDisk 7.0 , & Let It Defragments All Your HardDrive ...
& I Think 93C Is A Little High For Full Load ... Maybe This Is The Problem ...
If You Have The Cash , Try To Get A New Cooler For Your GPU ... Like Accelero X1 ...

EricVPI

Distinguished
May 15, 2006
I was cleaning my case for dust with compressed air and checking power connection to make sure they were all fit.

Now my computer won't turn on. When I push the power button, the mobo doesn't post, and no fans start spinning. About 3 seconds after I hit the power button, I get a long beep followed by a short beep, the mobo says POST CODE 8.3.

I have an Abit AX7. Please help... :(

leo_vader

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
use google, if you know what bios you have then you'l be able to find out which component has failed(with that beep-ing sound) :idea:

but if the fans don't go on then it's limited to:
1)power supply - maeby it couldn't take the load and it started gettin' weaker
2)mb partially FRIED

fainis

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
your sistem looks ok my friend ...it`s a simple matter ...you either have a software problem...antivirus...mailing software...etc...or it`s simply hanging at high resolution.......
try a fresh install..........
good luck

NeoPolus

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
I can play just fine for about 3 minutes, then the game gets very slow/choppy for about 15 seconds... My 7800GTX idles at around 52-59C

It remembers me CPU throttling a lot... but in this case it may be GPU throttling.
Some CPUs will slow down if there is too heat or –if some part of the CPU gets over a temperature threshold-. There was a great article of TomsHardware about this:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2001/09/17/hot_spot/page3.html
Take a look at this video:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2001/09/17/hot_spot/page6.html

Remember that the temperatures your card gives are taken at just one spot! And not all the parts of the GPU dissipate the same heat… so you may be reaching the clock throttling down threshold, on some spot of the GPU, even when the reported full load temperatures are bellow such threshold.
Have you tried to replace the GPU’s heat sink or the thermal paste? Looking at the idle temperatures it may be a heat transfer problem.

"I was cleaning my case for dust with compressed air "

Hopefully this was done with a compressed air can made specifically for electronic components, which do not take kindly to compressed air combined with moisture as would come out of a typical, garage- type air compressor...

smedlin

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
That heat is a concern. Once you get it going again, take the side panal off and see if that helps.

It may be an air flow problem.

EricVPI

Distinguished
May 15, 2006
I'm about to gut my computer to find out what's wrong. I pray to god nothing got fried when I was cleaning the inside.

Never thought my quest to lower my GPU temp would result in my computer completely dying.

Updates soon... :(

NeoPolus

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
"8.3 is ATX power supply ready check."
It seems a power supply or power cables problem... as you has been "cheking the power connection" I would say it's the latter.
Check again the power cables you previously "checked" :)

EricVPI

Distinguished
May 15, 2006
I replaced the PSU with a new Antec one and now fans actually start spinning and power flows when I hit the power button.

Now I get "post code error 8.7 (check cpu voltage), the computer makes one long beep, three short beeps, and then shuts down.

WTF?!??!!??!