Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Since I have a shipping date for my VR Visor I thought I'd try to find
some pictures of the Kiowa Warrior simulator at Ft Rucker AL. I did
find a small picture. The VR Visor says (and some reviews confirm it)
that it's like looking at a 105 inch screen at 13 feet. That was just
what the Ft Rucker OH-58D simulator looked like. There was an exercise
going on but there was an open cockpit and I decided to fly the aircraft
for a while. It wasn't like the real thing, it took some practice to
control the sim and there was that black space on my left and right
sides. After getting used to it I could hover (kinda) and from a tree
line I saw in the distance a formation of Hind D's about 2 klicks away.
I wasn't a part of the exercise but I had 3 Stinger Missiles hanging
off the hard points. Before I could really think about it I raised the
nose, got the pipper on the lead and pulled the trigger. Knowing I
would not hit any of them with my terrible hovering I swung the sights
across the formation and as the sights crossed a Hind I pulled the
trigger. 3 missiles and 3 hits. I watched 3 Hinds explode and crash.
Unfortunately there were 4 Hinds. I had only 3 missiles. Trying to
hide behind the treeline didn't work. I ended up in a smoking crater.

I thought some may enjoy this:
Here are some pictures of the sim I flew back then and is still in use.
At:
http://www.hqda.army.mil/ari/pdf/rants.pdf
http://www.hqda.army.mil/ari/pdf/wing_training.pdf

http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs41&d=05325&f=rucker-sim.jpg

I then did some searching and found some other simulators. Their price
is on each picture. The even had a Eurocopter.

At: http://realsims.digibuildit.net/
http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs41&d=05325&f=sims.jpg

boB,
SAG 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

Let us know how the VR Visor works out...

John Ward wrote:

> "But I saw something else...the Merlin! A British helo....but
> buddy....what a fantastic looking bird!"
>
> Are there any 'Sim versions?

Hiya JW!

I haven't found any for FS9 just yet, but I'm sure there's at least
one out there. Somewhere.
Flightsim has one for FS2002, which I flew with FS2002 a couple of
years
ago, but newer is always better.
Well....most of the time. :)

Marcel