Epson 740

Hi Group,

Been trying to resurrect a neighbours 740 which has been lying idle for over
two years, have cleaned the jets, replaced the old tanks with new ones, run
a couple of cleans and all seems okay.

Except that the status monitor is showing the new tanks as nearly empty.
Is this normal?
When a tank change has been needed due to what I believe were dried up inks
even though the monitor showed a third full.

Can anyone advise me whether they will keep printing although showing nearly
empty or will I have to replace them again. Is there a way to fool the
monitor to show the correct level.

Thanks in advance to all those that take the time to reply

David

"tenchman" <tenchman@spamoff.ie> wrote in message
> Hi Group,
>
> Been trying to resurrect a neighbours 740 which has been lying idle for
> over two years, have cleaned the jets, replaced the old tanks with new
> ones, run a couple of cleans and all seems okay.
>
> Except that the status monitor is showing the new tanks as nearly empty.
> Is this normal?

That printer stores the level of ink remaining in the carts internally -
having no chips on the ink carts themselves, it has no way of knowing that
the actual ink level in the cart is actually full, empty, or anywhere in
between.
Changing the ink carts when the printer still thinks they have ink remaining
in them confuses the counting logic.

> When a tank change has been needed due to what I believe were dried up
> inks even though the monitor showed a third full.
>
> Can anyone advise me whether they will keep printing although showing
> nearly empty or will I have to replace them again.

It will stop printing when it *thinks* the ink is used and request a
cartridge change. At that time, you could replace them with carts that are
actually full (or refill the old carts at that point and refit them) and it
should then get back in sync with itself...

>Is there a way to fool the monitor to show the correct level.

I dunno if the service program for that printer can do that, but the
programs I have for the 640, 460 etc. series can't.

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 23:26:17 -0000, "tenchman" <tenchman@spamoff.ie> wrote:

>Hi Group,
>
>Been trying to resurrect a neighbours 740 which has been lying idle for over
>two years, have cleaned the jets, replaced the old tanks with new ones, run
>a couple of cleans and all seems okay.
>
>Except that the status monitor is showing the new tanks as nearly empty.
>Is this normal?
>When a tank change has been needed due to what I believe were dried up inks
>even though the monitor showed a third full.
>
>Can anyone advise me whether they will keep printing although showing nearly
>empty or will I have to replace them again. Is there a way to fool the
>monitor to show the correct level.
>
>Thanks in advance to all those that take the time to reply
>
>David

This Tool will rest them

http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml

Epson does have a New Monitor program out, that from memory supports XP..

You could have used a lot of ink when you did your cleaning cycles and the
priming of the print head.

How did you clean the Jets..?

I think you can also reset the Ink monitor by just reinstalling the Ink tanks

> I think you can also reset the Ink monitor by just reinstalling the Ink
> tanks

Yes you can, but only if the printer asks for them to be changed first,
which it won't do unless it thinks they are empty, so if it asks, and you
remove and refit half-full ink carts they will run out before the printer
thinks they are empty and you have to pull-the-mains-plug to change them,
but then the printer still thinks they are half empty when they are actually
full so when the printer then thinks they are empty they are actually half
full so you either have to go through that process again, or when the
printer asks for a new ink cart you fit a full one and waste half an carts
worth of ink so that the printer knows that the ink cart is actually full
when the printer thinks its full so when it thinks its empty it acually is
empty and not half full.

<deep breath>

OK ? :)

Harvey wrote:
>>I think you can also reset the Ink monitor by just reinstalling the Ink
>>tanks
>

> Yes you can, but only if the printer asks for them to be changed first,
This is not true. You can prompt for replacing cartridges before they
are empty, which in tenchmans case, I would recommend.
Open the cover and press the Load/Eject button for 3 seconds. Use this
method only when replacing old or outdated cartridges before the ink
level lights flash or come on.
http://files.support.epson.com/flash/sc670_/oldink.html
In tenchmans case he won't actually have to replace the cartridges but
just go through the motions. This means he will have to open the latches
and pull the cartridge out at least far enough to trip the detecting
switch before reinserting and latching the top.

> which it won't do unless it thinks they are empty, so if it asks, and you
> remove and refit half-full ink carts they will run out before the printer
> thinks they are empty and you have to pull-the-mains-plug to change them,
> but then the printer still thinks they are half empty when they are actually
> full so when the printer then thinks they are empty they are actually half
> full so you either have to go through that process again, or when the
> printer asks for a new ink cart you fit a full one and waste half an carts
> worth of ink so that the printer knows that the ink cart is actually full
> when the printer thinks its full so when it thinks its empty it acually is
> empty and not half full.
>
> <deep breath>
>
> OK ? :)

I believe there is a front panel procedure for replacing the cartridges
at any time (usually it is something like holding the cleaning cycle
button down together is it has one for black and one for color). The
process is usually listed in the manual under "replacing an outdated ink
cartridge".

However, as you stated in doing so, you will get a full new cartridge
purge, and the printer will assume the new cartridge is filled, even
when it is partially empty, unless it is refilled prior to reinstallation.

Art

Harvey wrote:

>>I think you can also reset the Ink monitor by just reinstalling the Ink
>>tanks
>

> Yes you can, but only if the printer asks for them to be changed first,
> which it won't do unless it thinks they are empty, so if it asks, and you
> remove and refit half-full ink carts they will run out before the printer
> thinks they are empty and you have to pull-the-mains-plug to change them,
> but then the printer still thinks they are half empty when they are actually
> full so when the printer then thinks they are empty they are actually half
> full so you either have to go through that process again, or when the
> printer asks for a new ink cart you fit a full one and waste half an carts
> worth of ink so that the printer knows that the ink cart is actually full
> when the printer thinks its full so when it thinks its empty it acually is
> empty and not half full.
>
> <deep breath>
>
> OK ? :)

Hi,

No problem to change the cartridge as has been mentioned before red
lights start blinking to tell you it's time. Simply hold the paper in-feed
button for about 3 sec and the print head will move to the left for
cartridge replacement. Once you stick a new cartridge in and push the clamp
back into place the micro switch will reset to show a full cartridge on the
ink status monitor.
One thing I should point out about the Epson 740 is that the chrome
plated head travel bar seems to dry out after about two - three years use.
Sometimes when the printer is turned on a grinding noise will be heard and
all 3 red lights will start flashing. It's a sign that the head has seized
on the bar and needs lubrication. I've gotten away with a little 3 in 1 oil
on a rag, wiping it across the travel bar. Sometimes I've started the
printer and pull the plug as the head rolls about mid-way across the
machine. Then I just push the head further to the left and lube the bar aon
the right hand side. That'll usually keep it running smoothly for another
year. These machines are a little slow by today's standards but they still
do a great output job on photos, and we have about 28 out of the 3 dozen we
started with back in '99 running in our school class rooms.

--
Jan Alter
bearpuf@verizon.net
"Arthur Entlich" <artistic@telus.net> wrote in message
>I believe there is a front panel procedure for replacing the cartridges at
>any time (usually it is something like holding the cleaning cycle button
>down together is it has one for black and one for color). The process is
>usually listed in the manual under "replacing an outdated ink cartridge".
>
> However, as you stated in doing so, you will get a full new cartridge
> purge, and the printer will assume the new cartridge is filled, even when
> it is partially empty, unless it is refilled prior to reinstallation.
>
> Art
>
> Harvey wrote:
>
>>>I think you can also reset the Ink monitor by just reinstalling the Ink
>>>tanks
>>

>> Yes you can, but only if the printer asks for them to be changed first,
>> which it won't do unless it thinks they are empty, so if it asks, and you
>> remove and refit half-full ink carts they will run out before the printer
>> thinks they are empty and you have to pull-the-mains-plug to change them,
>> but then the printer still thinks they are half empty when they are
>> actually full so when the printer then thinks they are empty they are
>> actually half full so you either have to go through that process again,
>> or when the printer asks for a new ink cart you fit a full one and waste
>> half an carts worth of ink so that the printer knows that the ink cart is
>> actually full when the printer thinks its full so when it thinks its
>> empty it acually is empty and not half full.
>>
>> <deep breath>
>>
>> OK ? :)

TRENDING THREADS