Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Questions about PSU and Case

Last response: in Components
Share
May 15, 2006 1:47:38 AM

I just purchased the following:

DFI CFX3200-DR
AMD Opty 165 (Plan to OC to 2.6 if possible)
Zalman CNPS9500LED

will be buying
Seagate Baracuda 300 GB 7200 SATA 3.0Gb/s
OCZ EL Platinum XTC 2GB PC3200
ATI X1900xt or X1800xt

I already have:
1 Lite-on DVD-ROM
1 Lite- 16x DVD+/-R/RW
1 USB 7n1 card reader
no floppy

I tried figuring out the PSU Calculators that are in the PSU FAQ but I was a little confused at the end of it all.

Can you guys give me a hand in picking out the case and PSU?

As far as the cases go I am looking at both the Antec Sonata II or the ThermalTake Tsunami.

More about : questions psu case

May 15, 2006 2:53:49 AM

Going to give sli a try? That would make a difference in what ps you choose.
May 15, 2006 3:00:20 AM

I may give Crossfire a try at some point, but it will not be for another year or so, and if I had to I would upgrade the PS at that time.
Related resources
May 15, 2006 3:26:31 AM

Quote:
ATI X1900xt or X1800xt

Can you guys give me a hand in picking out the case and PSU?


You need to give much more specifics about what you want out of a case and besides, that's one where style often dominates over substance.

Regarding the PS, the choice between the 1900 and the 1800 is significant. The 1900 is much more demanding of 12V current capacity. The X1900XT is being shipped with a note that says you need 30A of +12V. My son's OCZ Modstream is listed at 26 or 28A but is able to run an X1900XT overclocked to the gills but my Enermax Liberty 620 (with two 22A rails that can provide something like 36A wouldn't even get the card into Windows.

Also, you didn't ask but I strongly recommend 500MHz RAM if you're gonna OC.
May 15, 2006 4:00:49 AM

Thanks for the help on the case, I think I like the Tsunami.

Now I just need to find a PS that will run the X1900XT, I am looking does anyone know where I can put in the specs I want and it will show me all the PSU with those Specs?

I have looked at about 10 different Power supplies at various prices since my last post.

All of them so far have had a +12V 18A Rail and a +12V 17A Rail.

Is the PS I am looking for combined 30A or do I need to find one that has 1 +12V Rail at 30A or more?
May 15, 2006 3:13:05 PM

I just looked at a review on EOC, I read the specs on the Enermax liberty and they say:

+12V1 Rail @ 22A
+12V2 Rail @ 22A

Combined 384W(32A)

Enermax Liberty Specs

So my question now is:

Since ATI recomends 450W(30A), will this still work?

Maybe I am not understanding the whole Rail thing, but if they are seperated how would they be combined?

If there is an article or something that explains this, I would be more than happy to read it.

Thanks any help you can provide.
May 15, 2006 6:16:35 PM

Clue69Less - Your Enermax 620 wasn't able to run a single x1900 card or two cards in crossfire? What do you have in that system that the Enermax PSU wasn't able to handle all the power?
May 15, 2006 8:08:22 PM

Quote:
I just looked at a review on EOC, I read the specs on the Enermax liberty and they say:

+12V1 Rail @ 22A
+12V2 Rail @ 22A

Combined 384W(32A)

Enermax Liberty Specs

So my question now is:

Since ATI recomends 450W(30A), will this still work?

Maybe I am not understanding the whole Rail thing, but if they are seperated how would they be combined?


I talked to an Enermax tech guy that told me that rail #1 was for the CPU and that all other components ran on rail #2. He had problems with English and I think he meant that rail 1 was CPU + mobo. Regardless if you have to run GPU + HDs + opticals and fans off of 22A, that won't go far. It certainly didn't for me!
May 15, 2006 8:08:47 PM

Quote:
I just looked at a review on EOC, I read the specs on the Enermax liberty and they say:

+12V1 Rail @ 22A
+12V2 Rail @ 22A

Combined 384W(32A)

Enermax Liberty Specs

So my question now is:

Since ATI recomends 450W(30A), will this still work?

Maybe I am not understanding the whole Rail thing, but if they are seperated how would they be combined?


I talked to an Enermax tech guy that told me that rail #1 was for the CPU and that all other components ran on rail #2. He had problems with English and I think he meant that rail 1 was CPU + mobo. Regardless if you have to run GPU + HDs + opticals and fans off of 22A, that won't go far. It certainly didn't for me!
May 15, 2006 8:14:30 PM

Quote:
Clue69Less - Your Enermax 620 wasn't able to run a single x1900 card or two cards in crossfire? What do you have in that system that the Enermax PSU wasn't able to handle all the power?


Four SATA HD (two 74BG Raptor in RAID0, two WD 400BG in RAID1)
Two opticals
Three 12cm fans, two 9.2cm fans

One X1900XT so far. This card would make it into Windows and run a while, then croak. The 7900GTX's I tried made it into Windows occasionally and generally crashed after the POST screen or didn't even make it that far.
May 15, 2006 8:44:41 PM

Quote:


Four SATA HD (two 74BG Raptor in RAID0, two WD 400BG in RAID1)
Two opticals
Three 12cm fans, two 9.2cm fans

One X1900XT so far. This card would make it into Windows and run a while, then croak. The 7900GTX's I tried made it into Windows occasionally and generally crashed after the POST screen or didn't even make it that far.


Those hard drives must be taking away a lot of power, because I have an Antec NeoHE430 that runs...

7900GTX
A64 3700
2Gb XMS 3200
1 SATA 250gb
2 Optical Drives
3 System fans

...without any problems. Anyone who has a similar setup, go with a higher PSU because the 430 is bare minimum.
May 15, 2006 8:59:28 PM

Quote:


Four SATA HD (two 74BG Raptor in RAID0, two WD 400BG in RAID1)
Two opticals
Three 12cm fans, two 9.2cm fans

One X1900XT so far. This card would make it into Windows and run a while, then croak. The 7900GTX's I tried made it into Windows occasionally and generally crashed after the POST screen or didn't even make it that far.


Those hard drives must be taking away a lot of power, because I have an Antec NeoHE430 that runs...

7900GTX
A64 3700
2Gb XMS 3200
1 SATA 250gb
2 Optical Drives
3 System fans

...without any problems. Anyone who has a similar setup, go with a higher PSU because the 430 is bare minimum.

Well, I pulled two of the HDs and one of the opticals off plus disconnected fans other than the CPU fan and it still wouldn't run the 7900GTX! Surely two HDs and one optical are not an abnormal load?
May 15, 2006 10:32:58 PM

what processor are u running? and are u overclocking?
May 16, 2006 1:31:49 AM

Quote:
what processor are u running? and are u overclocking?


4400+

I have OC'ed it but tried it at stock with the 7900GTX - it didn't help.
May 16, 2006 4:00:12 AM

Quote:


Regarding the PS, the choice between the 1900 and the 1800 is significant. The 1900 is much more demanding of 12V current capacity. The X1900XT is being shipped with a note that says you need 30A of +12V. My son's OCZ Modstream is listed at 26 or 28A but is able to run an X1900XT overclocked to the gills but my Enermax Liberty 620 (with two 22A rails that can provide something like 36A wouldn't even get the card into Windows.


I read this on the EOC website earlier today. This guy has a few bells and wistles on his PC, at least more than I will have, plus his system is watercooled and he says the 620W is sufficiant for him.

This was in response to a question I had asked about a week ago, since I hadn't received a response I posted here.


Quote:
I'd go with the Liberty as well, it's a stonking PSU I have slightly more than what you have in my system, Opty 170 O/Clocked to 2.8GHz 2 X Sata h drives, ATI X1900XTX DFI Expert 2 GB G Skill ram, 2 X DVD writers Danger Den DDC water pump 4X 120mm fans 4 X 80mm fans and 4 UV tubes and 2 X fan controllers running on the 620 Watt Liberty but the 500 would probably do it as well, the 500 would certainly be OK for your system.


Now I am afraid of all PSU's. I will have to give it a go, and see if it works. If not I will return it and try something else.

Any further help would be greatly appreciated.

and thanks for all the help so far, although I am still a bit hazy on the whole subject.
May 16, 2006 4:13:51 AM

Quote:
Now I am afraid of all PSU's. I will have to give it a go, and see if it works. If not I will return it and try something else.


Sorry if I've made you paranoid. You'll get there, good luck.
May 16, 2006 4:33:40 PM

Quote:
Check this page out...

http://www.guru3d.com/article/content/332/4/

and the previous page to that one has overall power consumption with a whole bunch of cards. Hope that helps


Yes, I had run across that. I've seen other numbers but didn't save the links. I've seen peaks for the XTX as high as 360 watts just for one card - that might have been on Anandtech... The guru article says 120 for the XT... Huge descrepancy but I could easily believe 200 or more for OC'ed. As soon as I get a chance, I'll measure my son's card stock and OC'ed.
May 16, 2006 7:38:26 PM

Quote:
Check this page out...

http://www.guru3d.com/article/content/332/4/

and the previous page to that one has overall power consumption with a whole bunch of cards. Hope that helps


Thanks for the link, it was a good article.



Clue69Less thanks for your help, you did get me a little paranoid, but you also helped me realize that doing a lot of research on the PSU is necessary.

I can't just take one persons or one reviews word for it.

I appreciate that as well.
!