I would appreciate anyone's help!!! First time building...

kveld3

Distinguished
May 15, 2006
I am building my own computer for the first time and I am trying to figure out some things about the motherboard I want to buy. I am hoping to use some of the things from my old computer on the new one to reduce the cost. I have two harddrives that have worked great for me, one is 120 GB and the other is 200 GB. To reduce cost, I don't want to buy new hard drives since these are only a couple of years old. But the problem seems to be that all the newer motherboards I see on newegg only have SATA connections, not the Ultra ATA 133 connections that my hard drives have. My question is, for hard drives, is Serial ATA no longer supported? Am I going to have to get new hard drives if I am hoping to upgrade my motherboard, processor, memory, and video card? I am hoping to get a Pentium D 930 and all the mobo's compatible with that do not seem to have multiple ATA connections. Thank you in advance for any advice.

Apparently ATA on-board is considered "legacy" - they put one on to connect optical drives only :(

luckily, ATA controller PCI cards are really cheap. I am using a couple of these SYBA brand controllers in my fileserver. Not the greatest performers but they work, I got them for the same reason - I started to accumulate a lot of ATA drives and just want to put them to use.

Be careful the cheaper ones don't have bootable capability