I hope Conroe kick ass

azrealhk

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
I am not an Intel fan, in fact the last Intel I bought was the P-III 550Mhz.

Since then it has all been AMD.

However AMD seems to know it has the edge in in performance and the Opteron has been gaining market in the server field. The prices for AMD CPUs has not changed too much and on the high side. Even a A64 3500 is around $200.

Some competition for AMD could do us some good, lowering the price of AMD mid-range and low end market.

buckiller

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
WHy make this topic really...

My take is I buy the best processor based on performance to value...last gen it was AMD by a landslide...right now it looks like conroe by a landslide (because amd hasnt even shown theres yet i guess.)

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
WHy make this topic really...

My take is I buy the best processor based on performance to value...last gen it was AMD by a landslide...right now it looks like conroe by a landslide (because amd hasnt even shown theres yet i guess.)

Funny :roll: You ask, why make this thread, then you reply to it. I guess

it wasn't such a waste, as at least one person gave their opinion. :wink:

djkrypplephite

Distinguished
May 15, 2006
Not to quote a slanted source or anything, but:

With its own unique brand name, the Intel® Core™2 Extreme processor, also to be launched later this year, will be the world's fastest processor and the new first choice of gamers and multimedia professionals worldwide.

All I'm sayin' is that with all the benches world records being owned by it, and with Intel having enough confidence (yes, they have corporate spies in AMD as does AMD in Intel) to say something like that KNOWING AMD can't do crap about it, heeeyyyy. We've all seen the benches by now. Pretty much everyone, including the IT press and all AMd fanboys know that AMD can't touch Intel in performance this year. If they can get their act together and pull HT 3.0 out of their asses and get DRAM makers to spew out DDR3 like no other, then yeah, they might have a shot. Only problem is, they're robbing all their quad cores of L2 cache and slapping it on high latency L3 to make room for the core bridges. Bad, BAD engineering choice there.

AMD got lazy and jacked up their prices thinking Intel wouldn't be able to do anything in time. They lost their place and it's time to step it up just like Intel did.

Anyway, yeah this thread IS kinda pointless.

azrealhk

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
Well I guess it is a bit pointless,

My real point was summarized so neatly by djkrypplephite

"AMD got lazy and jacked up their prices thinking Intel wouldn't be able to do anything in time. They lost their place and it's time to step it up just like Intel did. "

AMD are doing exactly the opposite of made them great, performance/price ratio. Hope Conroe can knock some sense back into AMD.

Vampire_Lestat

Distinguished
May 8, 2006
No I think it smart thinking on amd part djkrypplephite. Remember how many chips Intel rush to put on the market due to fast Amd chips. And they failed or had problems.Let take Presscott. Or the frist p4. One was Hotter then hell. The Other was a major flaw. I rather have Amd make good cpus vers. Ops Recall.

djkrypplephite

Distinguished
May 15, 2006
True, but the first P4's were also based on frequencies next to P3's, and the Willamettes basically sucked ass, especially considering they were built around RD. Not that RD was particularly bad, just exspensive as far as I know.

I presume AMD will lower prices since they cannot touch Intel on performance, and won't be able to for a while unless you're plugging like 15 accelerators with 1 quad core opteron on a 16 socket board running ddr3 . . . then yeah, maybe. The fact is, AMD just lost its performance, performance/watt, price/performace, and hell, even price/watt, which wasn't a category till I could use it to complete this sentence.

AMD's architecture that they're using for the long haul is the new Netburst, hailed as the next failure next to the ultra-efficient and cold Intel Core architecture. Sure there will be higher frequencies, but hell, a 3.6 GHz losing to a 2.6 GHz? That SCREAMS Netburst to me.

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
No I think it smart thinking on amd part djkrypplephite. Remember how many chips Intel rush to put on the market due to fast Amd chips. And they failed or had problems.Let take Presscott. Or the frist p4. One was Hotter then hell. The Other was a major flaw. I rather have Amd make good cpus vers. Ops Recall.
Looks like your first PC was K7 or K8. Do you know what kind of chips AMD had before?
There were P4 Netburst chips which overall performance was head to head with K7, just were more expencive. Anyway Netburst sux, the K8 is overperfoming it.
But Intel have chips that are better than K8 clock-for-clock, Core(Yonah, Dothan, Banias). Now they have improved them and bringed more performance with Core2. And they will cost less than half of same performance K8 chip(consider that there would be no K8 overperforming Core2 at 2.43GHz, when they are introduced). So, why buying more expencive chip that performs slower?

Vampire_Lestat

Distinguished
May 8, 2006
Well it took Intel a while to find out Where the problem lies and yes they came out with a good chip. It seem Amd was doing good from 1ghz to 1800 then started losing it crown and had a hard time keeping up. But what they where doing was working on a new chip Amd 64. That Help Intel drop it prices. History should show Amd should drop prices. For Me I m waiting for Quad core cpus. Hopefully the new windows came out.

djkrypplephite

Distinguished
May 15, 2006
I declare this thread sh!tty.

and i declair my enchanted a$$, fat.

yeah another waste, who cares wether it be intel or amd i want a fast cpu for god sakes - woopdy do look AMDs there now and conroe soon... point being?
It gives REAL geeks a reason to live, a purpose if you will, when they're ready with their D&D set and their friend can't join them in their Star Wars-themed basement because his mom is still washing his pj's from last time he had that bad dream about the wet and dirty Wookies. THAT is what fanboyism is about.

Then guys like me get into it after we actually get some real knowledge about hardware architecture. I am in fact not even exactly sure how I became an Intel fanboy, but hey, here I am on the winning team again.

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
I am in fact not even exactly sure how I became an Intel fanboy, but hey, here I am on the winning team again.
It is very simple, you are not an AMD fanboy.
If you don't love AMD and if you are not dieing for whatever they make, than you are a fanboy of their rival(the bad evil Intel) acording to the radical point of view of the AMD fanboys(simplier the HORDE).
So, there is no third option in the HORDE rulles, you are AMD fanboy or Intel fanboy, very simple, very stereotypic "black&white" system of group thinking.
Am I right or am I right, Vampire_LMM?

BTW, join the club djkrupplephite, I was declared as an Intel fanboy by the HORDE long time ago. I am living with it, so don't worry, you will survive....in the winning team:)

sex_monkey

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
i wouldnt consider myself a fanboy,i just always route for the underdog or the minority to win.i bet on west ham for the fa cup........ so close

djkrypplephite

Distinguished
May 15, 2006
i wouldnt consider myself a fanboy,i just always route for the underdog or the minority to win.i bet on west ham for the fa cup........ so close
ehhh . . . i think you'd be hard-pressed to find an "underdog" in the cpu market outside of via . . .

Vampire_Lestat

Distinguished
May 8, 2006
I like both companys. Amd and Intel. If Intel has a faster computer by the time they have quad core. I will buy them. If Amd has a faster Cpu quad core. I will aim for them. But Untel I see facts I dont know.