6800GT died, computer won't POST please help!

solarflashlight

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
hi guys, my system spec is as follows

Athlon Xp 2600
MSi N-force2 mobo
1 gig kingston value ram DDR333
2x120 gig maxtor HD, ultra-133.
Sb audigy.
Galaxy 6800GT 256mb.
PSU=Antec 400W, 18A max on 12V rail.
AGP voltage at 1.6V

i bought a new speaker, a PCI usb 2.0 expansion card and a logitech G15 keyboard yesterday, and i hooked everything up fine except the pci card, it gives me alot of problems so i left it in and didn't use it. I was watching a movie on the computer and all of the sudden the monitor shut off. my computer appears to be frozen as well. so i pressed the restart button, and there is nothing that appears on the screen.

I put in my old 9600XT card and everything works fine now.

I suspect that its either the graphic card, or a power issue.
I tried unpluggin all the devices except the mobo and the graphic card, it still wont POST. All the fans spin, although the air inside the case seem alot cooler than before when i had the 6800GT in.

What do you guys suggest? Thank you for any input

mr_hayt

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
if your power supply is old, i would bet it is to blame. Have you tried using a different molex connector to power the GFX (long shot but worth a try). If it is you power supply you will be noticing crashes at other times during your normal use of the computer, particularly when you are playing a game for a long time. If you notice crashes, I recommend buying a seasonic power supply. It is still possible that your power supply is to blame even if it isn't causing crashes. It is also possible that the 6800 is faulty or broken in some other way. Anyway, i hope you work out the problem.

EDIT: I just looked up the gfx card that you are currently using, it has no extra power connections, this leads me to believe that it is your power supply that is causing your problems.