need help connecting new printer to XP pc via ethernet

I just got a new Brother all-in-one printer. It has an ethernet connection
(along with USB). I'm running low on available USB ports and I'm not using
the ethernet connection on my Dell, so I thought I'd try to set it up via
ethernet. The manual that came with the PC doesn't give any info on setting
up the connection - it assumes a network already exists I guess and all you
need to do is plug it into the hub or router, which I don't have.

I know that I need a crossover cable for a direct connection to the PC, but
that's about all I know. Will XP guide me through this once I connect the
printer? Can anyone help me with some steps to take or provide some
guidance? I know I need an IP address for the PC and the printer - how is
this done? Sorry if this stuff is all obvious, but I'm totally new to any
type of networking, and I thought I'd just ask for some guidance before I
dove in blindly.
Thanks
1 answer Last reply
More about need connecting printer ethernet

    Raspy wrote:

    > I just got a new Brother all-in-one printer. It has an ethernet connection
    > (along with USB). I'm running low on available USB ports and I'm not using
    > the ethernet connection on my Dell, so I thought I'd try to set it up via
    > ethernet. The manual that came with the PC doesn't give any info on setting
    > up the connection - it assumes a network already exists I guess and all you
    > need to do is plug it into the hub or router, which I don't have.
    >
    > I know that I need a crossover cable for a direct connection to the PC, but
    > that's about all I know. Will XP guide me through this once I connect the
    > printer? Can anyone help me with some steps to take or provide some
    > guidance? I know I need an IP address for the PC and the printer - how is
    > this done? Sorry if this stuff is all obvious, but I'm totally new to any
    > type of networking, and I thought I'd just ask for some guidance before I
    > dove in blindly.
    > Thanks

    If you go to the Brother Solutions Center, you can find a document on
    setting up printers on a network, and some specific information of how
    to set up different Brother printers.

    http://solutions.brother.com

    Since you didn't mention what printer model you have, I can't tell you
    if your specific printer is covered on the site.

Printers Connection Ethernet Card Peripherals