need help connecting new printer to XP pc via ethernet

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
February 26, 2005 9:12:27 AM

I just got a new Brother all-in-one printer. It has an ethernet connection
(along with USB). I'm running low on available USB ports and I'm not using
the ethernet connection on my Dell, so I thought I'd try to set it up via
ethernet. The manual that came with the PC doesn't give any info on setting
up the connection - it assumes a network already exists I guess and all you
need to do is plug it into the hub or router, which I don't have.

I know that I need a crossover cable for a direct connection to the PC, but
that's about all I know. Will XP guide me through this once I connect the
printer? Can anyone help me with some steps to take or provide some
guidance? I know I need an IP address for the PC and the printer - how is
this done? Sorry if this stuff is all obvious, but I'm totally new to any
type of networking, and I thought I'd just ask for some guidance before I
dove in blindly.
Thanks
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 12:46:35 PM

Raspy wrote:

> I just got a new Brother all-in-one printer. It has an ethernet connection
> (along with USB). I'm running low on available USB ports and I'm not using
> the ethernet connection on my Dell, so I thought I'd try to set it up via
> ethernet. The manual that came with the PC doesn't give any info on setting
> up the connection - it assumes a network already exists I guess and all you
> need to do is plug it into the hub or router, which I don't have.
>
> I know that I need a crossover cable for a direct connection to the PC, but
> that's about all I know. Will XP guide me through this once I connect the
> printer? Can anyone help me with some steps to take or provide some
> guidance? I know I need an IP address for the PC and the printer - how is
> this done? Sorry if this stuff is all obvious, but I'm totally new to any
> type of networking, and I thought I'd just ask for some guidance before I
> dove in blindly.
> Thanks

If you go to the Brother Solutions Center, you can find a document on
setting up printers on a network, and some specific information of how
to set up different Brother printers.

http://solutions.brother.com

Since you didn't mention what printer model you have, I can't tell you
if your specific printer is covered on the site.