Asterisk INTERCOM PAGING

I recently took on a project to setup a decent phone system 10 phones
with Linux and asterisk. We have a decent layout planed out on how the
system will work. found some decent voice over ip providers

just need now to purchace phones. But if we are to spend $200-350 on
each phone we dam well wanna now it supports Intercom and paging with
our phone system . We do not want to find out later that the phone we
bought only mentioned it might support or that it has the feature but
does not work with our setup.

Question is has anyone been able to do this with asterisk? and what
phone did you use?

I am being recommened to use cheep grandstream phones.
-they do not have muilti lines support and the new phone that is not out
yet noone seems to know enough about them to risk spending money on.

Sipura same as above.

Snome has a model 190 I think.. but I hear it might work not that it
actually works . I need to know for sure . Phones are not cheep !! if
they where we could afford a mistake like this.

Cisco 7960. I hear people can do it but no one has confirmed they have
actualy done it. They have licencing and I am told are hard to firmware
upgrade and are not as simple to configure like the granstream or a
sipura device.

If your not familuar with paging or Intercom terms. When someone calls
and the call is parked (put on hold) then the receptionist can now
hit a key combo like (*33) or something like that and now speak across
all the phones through the speaker phone part something like

"call on line 2 for joe, joe you have a call on line 2"

Can anyone help me.

Ian

"m" <googlenews@s2angel.com> wrote in message
> I recently took on a project to setup a decent phone system 10 phones
> with Linux and asterisk. We have a decent layout planed out on how the
> system will work. found some decent voice over ip providers
>
> just need now to purchace phones. But if we are to spend $200-350 on
> each phone we dam well wanna now it supports Intercom and paging with
> our phone system . We do not want to find out later that the phone we
> bought only mentioned it might support or that it has the feature but
> does not work with our setup.
>
> Question is has anyone been able to do this with asterisk? and what
> phone did you use?
>
> I am being recommened to use cheep grandstream phones.
> -they do not have muilti lines support and the new phone that is not out
> yet noone seems to know enough about them to risk spending money on.
>
> Sipura same as above.
>
> Snome has a model 190 I think.. but I hear it might work not that it
> actually works . I need to know for sure . Phones are not cheep !! if
> they where we could afford a mistake like this.
>
> Cisco 7960. I hear people can do it but no one has confirmed they have
> actualy done it. They have licencing and I am told are hard to firmware
> upgrade and are not as simple to configure like the granstream or a
> sipura device.
>

> If your not familuar with paging or Intercom terms. When someone calls
> and the call is parked (put on hold) then the receptionist can now
> hit a key combo like (*33) or something like that and now speak across
> all the phones through the speaker phone part something like
>
> "call on line 2 for joe, joe you have a call on line 2"
>
> Can anyone help me.

At the moment cant help yet as I havent taken delivery of the new Mitel 5215
Sip phone. I will be getting it next week and will let every one know how it
performs, as its priced well at £155 not sure o fthe US price though it will
be good competition to the Cisco sets

Ian

155uk converts to

155.00 GBP
United Kingdom Pounds
=

362.996
CAD Canadadollars

Not a huge diffrence in cost.

voipsupply.com sells the cisco 7960 $317 Canadian

So price does not matter .. Are you familuar with asterisk's if you are
can you see how well and easy it is to setup Paging and intercom on it.

m.

Ian wrote:

> At the moment cant help yet as I havent taken delivery of the new Mitel 5215
> Sip phone. I will be getting it next week and will let every one know how it
> performs, as its priced well at £155 not sure o fthe US price though it will
> be good competition to the Cisco sets
>
> Ian

Yes, but this link you left, I have read. It gives me the feeling that
it does not tottaly work. what they have on snom seems very iffy and
fragile, is there true intercom?

So you got to see this demo do what. one phone picked up dial a code and
one othere phone picked up and you could hear there voice through
speaker phone.

what if part scares me

what if there are 5 phones one person is on the phone the otheres are
working away then I pick up main desk phone dial code speak. it rings
all thous phones only one answers and gies the intercom type msg? I
dunno I will read more up on the phone you mentioned.

I guess what I am trying to say is did you see it do more then one phone?

so I know its possible and was it buggy ?

m wrote:
> I recently took on a project to setup a decent phone system 10 phones
> with Linux and asterisk. We have a decent layout planed out on how the
> system will work. found some decent voice over ip providers
>
> just need now to purchace phones. But if we are to spend $200-350 on
> each phone we dam well wanna now it supports Intercom and paging with
> our phone system . We do not want to find out later that the phone we
> bought only mentioned it might support or that it has the feature
> but does not work with our setup.
>
> Question is has anyone been able to do this with asterisk? and what
> phone did you use?
>
> I am being recommened to use cheep grandstream phones.
> -they do not have muilti lines support and the new phone that is not
> out yet noone seems to know enough about them to risk spending money
> on.
>
> Sipura same as above.
>
> Snome has a model 190 I think.. but I hear it might work not that it
> actually works . I need to know for sure . Phones are not cheep !! if
> they where we could afford a mistake like this.
>
> Cisco 7960. I hear people can do it but no one has confirmed they have
> actualy done it. They have licencing and I am told are hard to
> firmware upgrade and are not as simple to configure like the
> granstream or a sipura device.
>

> If your not familuar with paging or Intercom terms. When someone
> calls and the call is parked (put on hold) then the receptionist
> can now hit a key combo like (*33) or something like that and now
> speak across all the phones through the speaker phone part something
> like
>
> "call on line 2 for joe, joe you have a call on line 2"
>
> Can anyone help me.

Why don't you ask the Asterisk community directly... ???

Go to http://lists.digium.com and subscribe to "Asterisk-Users". With
8,000+ subscribers on the list there should be a good chance your
questions will be answered. :)

But, first do your homework and search the Wiki..
http://www.google.com/search?q=asterisk+intercom+site:www.voip-info.org

Like this ??
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+Paging+and+Intercom

/Soren

Maybe there is confusion about the terms "intercom" and "paging". They
are often used in different ways.

Intercom is typically just station to station calling. You dial a code
on your phone to ring another one. If they pick up, you can talk. You
could set it up to ring groups of phones instead of just one phone.

Paging is dialing a code on one phone, and talking. Your voice then is
broadcast either via overhead speakers, or on the speaker phones of the
phones on the system. No one has to pickup a phone or push any buttons
to hear the message.

Paging with handsfree answerback, is dialing a code on one phone and
talking. People hearing the page can talk back to you without having
to touch their phone.

Paging can typically be targeted to single phones or gorups of phones.
Or in the case of overhead paging speakers, to areas of a building.

Asterisk with the appropiate phones and configuration can do all of the
above.

While I've only seen a demo of Asterisk with Polycom phones doing these
functions, there are descriptions in the wiki of doing these functions
with other phones.

Jim

Call it what you will PAging or Intercom. To this day I have ready many
have tryed it and that there are work arounds . Thats great BUT DOES IT
WORK. does anyone have a SIP phone that does this.

I am not fussy I do not mind if its done though a auto answer trick.

I am Still left with the big question. What phone is best to buy to set
up Paging (to call all phones they auto answer or support something *
supports to auto pickup and relay a voice from a certain key press
across the system!)

What phone do I buy. what phone is a safe bett?

Snom 190?? cisco 7960?? Poly 500-600??!

Grandsteam sipura? sombody? has to know..

Please !!

Gosh I wish there was a asterisk newsgroup.!

m.

Kyler Laird wrote:
> m <googlenews@s2angel.com> writes:
>

>>Question is has anyone been able to do this with asterisk? and what
>>phone did you use?
>

> http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Asterisk%20Paging%20and%20Intercom
>
> --kyler

This still tells me really nothing.. that this and that phone have some
support but there is really no mention of anyone actualy using it. and
what phone works best. its too vage!!

m wrote:

> Gosh I wish there was a asterisk newsgroup.!

http://lists.digium.com - Asterisk-Users has archives back to 1999, not
a newsgrup but certainly a source for inspiration and knowledge.

IRC: irc.freenode.com, channel #asterisk where on average 300 users are
chatting/lurking/debugging/fixing/dreaming and "kram" (Mark Spencer) or
one of his marshalls are usually listening..

<QUOTE>
The Asterisk channel now requires that your nick be registered with the
Freenode Nickserv in order to participate. This measure has been taken
to combat spambots and the like. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Please "/msg NickServ help register" in your IRC client to learn how to
register your nick.
</QUOTE>

/Soren

Soren Rathje wrote:
> m wrote:
>

>>Gosh I wish there was a asterisk newsgroup.!
>>

> http://lists.digium.com - Asterisk-Users has archives back to 1999, not
> a newsgrup but certainly a source for inspiration and knowledge.

Yah ugh , we need a NEwsgroup all to just asterisk

> IRC: irc.freenode.com, channel #asterisk where on average 300 users are
> chatting/lurking/debugging/fixing/dreaming and "kram" (Mark Spencer) or
> one of his marshalls are usually listening..
>
> <QUOTE>
> The Asterisk channel now requires that your nick be registered with the
> Freenode Nickserv in order to participate. This measure has been taken
> to combat spambots and the like. We apologize for the inconvenience.
> Please "/msg NickServ help register" in your IRC client to learn how to
> register your nick.
> </QUOTE>
>
> /Soren

K this is a follow up if you read the whole thread.. but snom 190 phones
heck Snom in general has to be the coolest phone on the market. Its
runing Linux people..

And yes it does do Intercom.. Eat your heart out this is the phone.,..

Dam it now buy this phone in droves so the dam price will come down
please..
selling features..
-support will not curl up and die after so many years because its open
source. (linux)
-firmware upgrades usualy grow when a item becomes popular.. and well
just the open source part of it and the fact they want to concentrate on
makeing cool SIP hardware thats just so dam cool.

now if I could just get a cell phone that works with my provider with
the 2 way and the features i use plus a few sip lines on it WiFi then
thats Cool

m wrote:
> Kyler Laird wrote:
>
>> m <googlenews@s2angel.com> writes:
>>

>>> Question is has anyone been able to do this with asterisk? and what
>>> phone did you use?
>>

>> http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Asterisk%20Paging%20and%20Intercom
>>

>> --kyler
>

> This still tells me really nothing.. that this and that phone have some
> support but there is really no mention of anyone actualy using it. and
> what phone works best. its too vage!!

tracerstang

I used example 2 at the following link: http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+cmd+Page

I do have s changes to the config listed though where it has Alert-Info: Ring Answer change to Alert-Info: RA

Also you may need to change exten => _XXX to reflect the number of digits in you extension range example of exten => _XX for 2, exten => _XXX for 3, exten => _XXXX for 4 etc.

You do not need to add anything to the polycom sip.cfg.

We use Polycom ip501, 601 & 320 phones.

The way it works is as follows:

you dial *96 and wait for the beep then dial * for all extensions to page or dial an extension for intercom.

If you use * it will page all extensions listed in the config, they can hear you but you cannot hear them.

If you enter an extension number they can hear you and you can hear them.

I hope this helps anyone that still does not know how it works or is having trouble getting it working.