Lock Desktop Icons

Is there some way I can lock the icons down on my XP Home desktop? At some
apparently random interval of several weeks, XP chooses to reshuffle them all
over. Even better if I could lock it to also prevent people from moving
them. I find it aggravating when computers try to "help" me with things I
didn't ask for help with in the first place.

Keeping XP from rearranging things would seem an obvious option somewhere but
I haven't found it. I've searched various keys in the help system and also
rummaged through TweakUI.

Thanks...

Bill -- (Remove KILLSPAM from my address to use it)

Craig

Hello Bill,

Right Click on the desktop:
- select properties
- select desktop tab
- select web tab
- enable check box for locking desktop icons.

Craig

Sounds like what I want Craig, but it doesn't seem to help. I have that box
checked already. The shortcuts to various programs still get moved on me
occasionally. And XP also periodically raises it's hand to ask if I want it
to improve my desktop layout to which I always say no, but I find that
suspicious.

Thanks.

Bill -- (Remove KILLSPAM from my address to use it)

pop

"Bill Martin" <KILLSPAMwylie@earthlink.net> wrote in message
|> Hello Bill,
| >
| > Right Click on the desktop:
| > - select properties
| > - select desktop tab
| > - select web tab
| > - enable check box for locking desktop icons.
| >
| > Craig
|
| Sounds like what I want Craig, but it doesn't seem to help. I
have that box
| checked already. The shortcuts to various programs still get
moved on me
| occasionally. And XP also periodically raises it's hand to ask
if I want it
| to improve my desktop layout to which I always say no, but I
find that
| suspicious.
|
| Thanks.
|
| Bill -- (Remove KILLSPAM from my address to use it)

Yup, that's real suspicious: Time to clean out the adware and
spyware. Adaware and Spybot Search and Destroy are two to start
with. Done a virus check lately?

Pop

Right click Desktop | Arrange Icons By |

UNCheck: Auto Arrange
[[Arrange the icons in columns along the left side of your screen.]]

Check: Lock Web Items on Desktop
[[Specifies whether Web content windows or items that *you* have placed on
your desktop are locked in place and can’t be moved. Select the check box to
lock Web content in place. Clear the check box if you want to be able to
move Web content.]]

Items can be moved, but are moved back after reboot.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:MPG.1bb4e63db205452298974a@msnews.microsoft.com,
Bill Martin <KILLSPAMwylie@earthlink.net> hunted and pecked:
> Is there some way I can lock the icons down on my XP Home desktop?
> At some apparently random interval of several weeks, XP chooses to
> reshuffle them all over. Even better if I could lock it to also
> prevent people from moving them. I find it aggravating when
> computers try to "help" me with things I didn't ask for help with in
> the first place.
>
> Keeping XP from rearranging things would seem an obvious option
> somewhere but I haven't found it. I've searched various keys in the
> help system and also rummaged through TweakUI.
>
> Thanks...
>
> Bill -- (Remove KILLSPAM from my address to use it)

> Yup, that's real suspicious: Time to clean out the adware and
> spyware. Adaware and Spybot Search and Destroy are two to start
> with. Done a virus check lately?

I believe the machine to be clean -- though of course that's impossible to
prove theoretically. I do run Norton AV, and Ad-Aware though, run firewalls,
use an e-mail program that's too dumb to execute anything sent to me other
than text, etc. I'm fairly paranoid on the subject.

Another clue is that I just ran the latest Microsoft security fix on my
wife's machine and it squirreled her icons during the reboot too. As I think
about it, I suspect mine were also moved about during that install.

I'll see if they stay in place otherwise....

Bill -- (Remove KILLSPAM from my address to use it)