zcomuto

Distinguished
May 13, 2006
The system im building will, at some point in the future, have SLi or Crossfire (Havn't decided on ATi or nVidia yet) with a pair of X1900XT's or 7900GTX's.

I've heard some enermax supplies - which i was going to buy - struggle with this.

Anyone have any other good suggestions? I've heard good things about FSP, but havn't found any reviews online.

To note, the case i'm getting in the P180 with the PSU at the bottom, and the motherboard is either the A8N32-SLI or A8R32-MVP, just to make sure to problems with installation.

Datman

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2004
http://www.pcpowercooling.com/home/

I have not heard of any other name for them.
They are hard to find in Australia also.

Thermaltake and OCZ are good also.

zcomuto

Distinguished
May 13, 2006
So the good makes are FSP, Seasonic, Thermaltake, OCZ.

Any makes/models that should be avoided for an X1900XT Crossfire system?

Datman

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2004
I have a Ultra 600W PS in this computer, don't buy it. It's a lightweight POS.
Does the job for my computer, but I wouldn't use it for too much more.

From experience, get more watts than you think you need.
It allows for future expansion and stability.

bruja

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
First thing you should look for in a power supply is a good effeciency. Effecient psu's are quiet usually.
I would recommend the Seasonic s12-600 and FSP Epsilon 700. Both of them are very effecient and quiet power supplies. These psus are the best. Both of them has got very good build quality.
PC Power & Cooling has more watts but it is not quiet and you will be bored of its loud noise.

I have been searching for a PSU for a mounth and last week I bought a Seasonic S12-600. It is a very quiet psu. It has impressively large pair of unique heatsinks and long-lived aluminum electrolytic capacitors inside. But one thing I didn like about it is the cables arent sleeved.

check silentpcreview's recommended list:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article28-page6.html
silintpcreview' review:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article247-page1.html
thg's review:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/07/11/stress_test/page24.html

FSP Epsilon 700 has 4 12V rails. Its effeciency is the best. Cables are sleeved and removable.
Avery good review of FSP Epsilon:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/display/psu-roundup_5.html

If I were you I would choose FSP or Seasonic

Before Seasonic my psu was Thermaltake Silent Purepower 480W. Silence is totally a lie. Its noise was very loud it f...ed me up for months. Then I searched about it and find that it's effeciency was %65 then I understood the loud noise. It's fans were ballbeared but it didn help. Stay away from Thermaltake.
It's 12V rail was 11.7V. My corsair Twinx1024-3200c2 pro memory breaked down in march and I thought that the reason could be thermaltake psu. There were no overclock.
Sorry for my english.

zcomuto

Distinguished
May 13, 2006
I like the sound of the FSP one, the 700Watt'er. I think i'll go with that.

It is compatable and all with an A8R32-MVP in the Antec P180 case, and an Opteron 165 or 170 OC'ed? (Just liek to make sure with fairly large purchases)

Thanks for all the help folks, you're helping me build my first rig here. Out the window goes my dell.

Spikke

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
I have this Enermax PSU and have no issues at all. I have 2 7800GT's in SLI and a 4200+ X2 cpu, both overclocked a little. It's definately quiet enough for me, I don't hear it over my cpu or video card fans.

Xtremegamer

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
I have this Enermax PSU

I too have the Liberty 620 in a Crossfire setup and I am actually on my second one. The first one ran for about two weeks and all of a sudden... POOF. No power, no nothing right in the middle of an especially urgent HDV render I might add. The 12V dropped to 11.6V just before this happened.

I had to exchange it under warranty which they did no trouble at all but since I have had one go bad, I am extremely leary that this second may soon follow. However, it may have just been a fluke. Infinte mortality and all that stuff. It is quiet, no doubt about it but having such a highly regarded component of my new system fail so quickly gives me pause to purchase from them again. It will be an easy choice if this second one fails.

I wish I knew about PC Power & Cooling BEFORE I bought the Libery. I may have got one of those instead but at almost three times the cost, I would have to think long and hard.

Anyway, for the most part, I am happy with the Liberty but that will change very quickly if this second one fails as quickly as the first.

Spikke

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
No matter the product you can always find people that have one fail on them, it happens. I have had 2 Antec PSU's crap out on me, one was about 2 years old and the other about 8 months old, and people swear by those. No matter what brand or what type of pc product it is, no company is able to avoid the occasional lemon.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
No matter the product you can always find people that have one fail on them, it happens. I have had 2 Antec PSU's crap out on me, one was about 2 years old and the other about 8 months old, and people swear by those. No matter what brand or what type of pc product it is, no company is able to avoid the occasional lemon.

Couldnt agree more ! anyway I am going to recomend an Antec here, I couldnt find it online the Neo HE 550. Im using it right now and its cool even running my OCed 805 and its certed for SLI. The best thing about it that its not hot and its quiet. The bonus feature is that it has those plugs so you can only plug in the cables you need and they are sleeved ! this is the 500 watt version maybe some one could find the 550 or the 600 ?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103940

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
You can see the PSU i have in my sig along with the rest of my system and I have had no problems at all. As far as I know the 7900 series uses less power than mine so there should be no problems at all. I don't show it in my sig but I have 2 optical and 3 HDDs.