iPhone 5 'Most Difficult Device' Foxconn's Ever Assembled

Status
Not open for further replies.

greghome

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
Aren't all iPhones the 'Most Difficult Device' Foxconn's Ever Assembled.
Every generation the same "news" comes out.

Dear Zak Islam, did BoM hire you to advertise for Apple? None of your articles seem to even remotely stray away from Apple inc.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Once again, TH is flooded with stupid gossip about (name of disliked company) instead of real news about (name of liked company). Obviously (reporter's name) is a shill.

fuzzion

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
the new coating utilized on the iPhone 5 is more prone to scratches

A mate had it for 5 days before the back had a few ugly and visible scratches.

G

Well it is normal for a product of that kind of quality,scratch prone...check...loose of signal....check....camera flaws ....check....sheeps captive....check....charge bigger check....lol

G

Personalty im losing respect for Tomshardware or as i like to call it now Zak's apple.

I mean if Apple has some news great. Something worth posting super. But do you really need to post about everything? I mean you would post about how Tim Cook took a crap this morning and it was just so awesome you went and waited in line for your icrap. Your the poster boy for the apple fanboys.

tobalaz

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
My brother just got his iPone 5 yesterday. The sales clerk really pushed it as the most "user friendly" smartphone out there.
Its his first smartphone, and I worked with him for over 4 hours showing him how to use it.
He can't stand Siri, Maps or the fact it won't let him download free apps without a credit card on his Apple account (he's a trucker and afraid someone will steal his phone and run up charges).

I've got an Android EVO 4g, he used it for an hour.
I've got mine pretty customized with widgits so its pretty easy to use in comparison in its current state (but not by default). Also, with Google Play you don't need a card to download apps.

It took just one full day and he's returning it for a Galaxy S3. I promised I'd load the same widgits on there for him.
Oops...

But hey, its a pretty phone.

alexthager

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
[citation][nom]tobalaz[/nom]My brother just got his iPone 5 yesterday. The sales clerk really pushed it as the most "user friendly" smartphone out there.Its his first smartphone, and I worked with him for over 4 hours showing him how to use it. He can't stand Siri, Maps or the fact it won't let him download free apps without a credit card on his Apple account (he's a trucker and afraid someone will steal his phone and run up charges).I've got an Android EVO 4g, he used it for an hour.I've got mine pretty customized with widgits so its pretty easy to use in comparison in its current state (but not by default).
Also, with Google Play you don't need a card to download apps. It took just one full day and he's returning it for a Galaxy S3. I promised I'd load the same widgits on there for him.Oops...But hey, its a pretty phone.[/citation]

There are so many arguments you can make against the iPhone, but don't make up a false story. Apple's "i" devices are incredibly easy to use. In the mock iPhone 5 commercial from Samsung, why do you think the kid is holding the spot for his parents? Because, iPhones are easy to use, that's why many older people love the device.

technicalbass

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012
I have both. Iphone 3GS and Android Tablet. They both have their ups and downs.

Apples app store is far better than the android app store. The android app store is cluttered with so many awful apps that it makes my head spin. I don't know a single person with an android cell phone that isn't charging their battery halfway through the day. That's not to say that there aren't any decent android devices. But it seems they are far and few between.

Apple on the other hand is clueless when it comes to features.....features that one would assume EVERY smartphone would have by now. Such as the ability to easily engage and disengage wifi/bluetooth without having to go into a settings menu.....Apple iphones do not time-stamp each txt but merely give you an estimation based on the first txt of the conversation.....I cannot begin to tell you how annoying that is for someone who needs to know exactly when I sent/received a txt....Or how about the fact that I cannot easily kill all the apps opened at once.....really apple? Haven't figured out how to make that work yet? Are you F'n kidding me?

Sadly none of this really matters. The majority of iphone/android users use their phone to talk/txt, facebook, angry birds or something similar, listen to music, and maybe watch the odd short video on.

If you REALLY think that android devices and apple iphones are soooo bloody different that only one could possibly serve your needs.......you need a good kick in the head.

tinmann

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I'm into new tech as much as anyone but this phone race is getting out of hand. And what's bad is people act as if the type of phone they have defines them. A wise man once said:

You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your fucking khakis

And you are certainly not your iphone

I have a Samsung Nexus and that's more than I need.

psykhe

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
[citation][nom]alexthager[/nom]There are so many arguments you can make against the iPhone, but don't make up a false story. Apple's "i" devices are incredibly easy to use. In the mock iPhone 5 commercial from Samsung, why do you think the kid is holding the spot for his parents? Because, iPhones are easy to use, that's why many older people love the device.[/citation]

"Easy to use" does not mean that someone who has never used a smartphone before can just use them without someone explaining him stuff or he having a longer learning period. If you think they "just work" for someone with zero knowledge you are deluding yourself.

okibrian

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
Well if it's so hard to make then don't make it! I'm sure may out of work Americans won't mind jobs coming back to the US. And that goes for ALL the other tech companies too, because they're all just as bad.

dthx

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
[citation][nom]tinmann[/nom]I'm into new tech as much as anyone but this phone race is getting out of hand. And what's bad is people act as if the type of phone they have defines them. A wise man once said: You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your fucking khakisAnd you are certainly not your iphoneI have a Samsung Nexus and that's more than I need.[/citation]
That's absolutely correct. I know so many people who spend fortunes on changing their phones constantly (but they're a pain when you want to dine with them in a restaurant because they have to be careful with their money this month!) ... and if you listen to them, their phone is always the best in the market and the other phones are laughable. They are always willing to demonstrate the oh so awesome capabilities of their phones ... but then you notice they don't even find their way trough the menus.
My girlfriend uses a two and a half years old HTC Desire (with a custom rom I put there) and she does much more with her smartphone on a daily basis than any of those guys. She's working in the medical sector, but she could give those tech junkies a lessons about how to use a phone efficiently. Ask her about getting a new phone and she'll say that there's nothing those new phones do that can't already be done on her current phone and she's totally right about that !

The same goes for our computers. The race for more power is long overdue. What we need to improve is efficiency and ... the software / services offer. Speed and power are no longer the limiting factor in modern systems. Everyone can afford a fast enough computer. Making it fit your needs perfectly and using it correctly is the real challenge !

iamtheking123

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
any aluminum product may scratch or chip with use, exposing its natural silver color.

If the color is from anodizing then what they're not telling you is you can spend more time+money and have a thicker layer put on that will resist scratches better. I know there are also processes used on watch cases to make them super resistant to scratches while still being black. Apple is going down. They can't even claim to be the last word in quality or functionality anymore.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
"One of the reasons why the iPhone 5 is in short supply is due to..." Apple trying to increase sales by lying about "shortages". They sold 5 instead of expected 10 millions over the first weekend, which is a fail. Now they are suddenly "sold out" lol. Which stores do not have them anymore, dear Zak?

PS
...the iPhone "the most difficult device that Foxconn has ever assembled,"...
I guess Samsung Galaxy SIII is assembled elsewhere... :D

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]technicalbass[/nom]I have both. Iphone 3GS and Android Tablet.[/citation]
And the tablet is made by Android Inc and they call it "Tablet", that's why you sound like you don't even know the model of your "android tablet"...

Star72

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
[citation][nom]alexthager[/nom]There are so many arguments you can make against the iPhone, but don't make up a false story. Apple's "i" devices are incredibly easy to use. In the mock iPhone 5 commercial from Samsung, why do you think the kid is holding the spot for his parents? Because, iPhones are easy to use, that's why many older people love the device.[/citation]

He didn't make up a false story. He said his phone is customized with widgets & is easier to use in comparison but not by default. So now his brother wants one customized like his because he likes it. What's so fake about the story?

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
I feel Android is harder to use than iOS. But that isn't saying a whole lot.
Those commercials that MS were pushing a few months ago "Feel like a Beta Tester?" Hit the nail on the head. Too bad nobody gets it. Not saying WP8 is better (haven't used it, so I don't know). But Android feels disjointed and clunky. This from the proud owner of an LG Motion 4G that I absolutely love.

Here is to hoping the merger of T-Mobile and MetroPCS will yield quality inexpensive WP devices in the future...

Status
Not open for further replies.