Specs for Hi Def 1080p, 9800 Pro

konsta

Distinguished
May 15, 2006
Hi there,

I'm currently running a 3.2ghz p4e, with 1gb of fast ram, and a 9800 pro 256bit 128mb. I'm using a Samsung 24" 244t.

I know that I won't be able to run anything with hdcp on this setup, but I was hoping that at least the apple trailers would run nicely. It seems that the 1080p trailers only run about 90% "smooth" - they are ok on simple scenes, but large camera pans and rapidly changing things make playback less smooth. The wmv hi def showcase seems fine http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/musicandvideo/hdvideo/contentshowcase.aspx

What is the limiting factor in this setup? I think it's probably the graphics card, but i'm unwilling to spend much on an upgrade atm, because going to PCI-E would involve new mobo, cpu etc - and my existing ones aren't bad spec. I'd also like to wait for conroe/dx10/hdcp before i spend megabucks on a gfx card.

What i'm basically looking for is some sort of suggestion as to why the setup is not smooth, and if it's the gfx card, then are there any relatively cheap agp models which should sort me out.

I should mention that i'm using slightly dated ati drivers, because I'm not a fan of the catalyst control centre at all - am stuck on the last ones which allowed the control panel only.

Cheers

konsta

Datman

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2004
What drivers are you using ATM?

You can download the drivers separatly from the dialup section.
5.11 was the last with the control panel, but I hear that the new 6.5 drivers will be available with CCC or CP, out soon.
The Omega Drivers have CP only, the latest are based on 6.3.

I have a DVico Fusion HDTV DVB-T card.
I ran a 9600XT (now X800pro) on 1280x1024 with 1080i, it ran fine for me.
Newer updates for the HDTV card made any differences for me.

MarkG

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2004
Quicktime. Apple just don't seem to know how to program PCs.

I can edit HDTV movies on my PC with no problems, but if I try to play the same movie back as a Quicktime file using the same codec, it plays at one frame every two or three seconds.

Someone told me that Apple H.264 movies play fine at full-screen but crawl in a window: I'm not paying them money just to be able to run in full-screen, so I can't verify that.