Sign in with
Your question

Buyers Guide, Part III: All Graphics Cards!

Last response: in Memory
May 15, 2006 10:59:44 AM

Welcome to the third and final installment of our Spring 2006 Graphics Card Buyer's Guide. In this part, we cover the remaining models from Asus, GeCube, MSI, Powercolor and Sapphire. Read on for a comparison of software bundles, heat generation, power consumption, 3D performance, and, of course, overclocking potential.
May 15, 2006 2:46:29 PM

Is this a joke? Only 2 NVidia cards and 18 ATI cards? Is this a real, truly unbiased, comparison? 8O
Yeah yeah, NVidia is there in the conclusions, but, it almost doesn't exist in the whole analysis! :?
May 15, 2006 2:59:09 PM

agreed, seems strange that the cards analyzed are ati heavy but the tests show many Nv cards. Plus, while it was ati heavy there were notable omissions, like the 1900xt. (yes, i have it but i only mention it in the interest of completeness)

So: why no Nv cards reviewed but only "tested"? why not all cards from both camps? (instead of 3 w/ the same gpu...) seems hokey to me. (of course I may have missed something)
Related resources
May 15, 2006 3:01:04 PM

:idea: It would be useful if some indication of Mac compatibility were mentioned in the charts.
May 15, 2006 3:19:01 PM

Quote:
:idea: It would be useful if some indication of Mac compatibility were mentioned in the charts.

yeah, or how useful it is to eat ice cream with or if it can be used as a chainsaw, or ...

You see my point, who cares about mac. You buy them becaues you are about as tech literate as a bug. Drivers are not that difficult to install. And that whole no anti-virus is needed is just a myth

Yes I see flaming coming, but what is a Mac-user doing on a tech-forum
May 15, 2006 3:23:27 PM

I've already suggested it, but why is there no Oblivion and why is this in the memory section?
May 15, 2006 4:08:43 PM

Better than the first two charts but still lacking. Why do they bother testing all of the same cards but from different companies? Who cares if one card gets .5 more fps than another card becasue its over clocked. Now if one card stood out and owned the others that is important! 5 of the same card that are all basically pretty much the same is boring. Toms please go back to your old format of testing cards. Get one card of each type and benchmark them. Everyone knows if a card is overclocked it will perform better so IMO I would leave that out. Just give us a nice overview of all the cards out there. Thanks!
May 15, 2006 4:10:17 PM

There are more Nvidia based cards in the German version of the articles. Apparently many of the Nvidia based cards are not available in North America so when this article was translated into English they did not carry the cards over that were not available here.
May 15, 2006 4:11:18 PM

There are more Nvidia based cards in the German version of the articles. Apparently many of the Nvidia based cards are not available in North America so when this article was translated into English they did not carry the cards over that were not available here.
May 15, 2006 6:21:19 PM

Quote:

US has every Nvidia card available for sale, on the web and at most local retail stores, and it did so for a very long time.

How did 1900xtx lose to 7800GS AGP or to X1300 ??

And then you have a 7900GTX OC that lost to 7900GTX none OC??

Then you have 7800GT that beats a 1900XTX and 7900GT PCX ??

That some terrible testing right there!
May 15, 2006 7:47:08 PM

Um, is the first 3dMark06 graph very, very wrong? Because it's got an x1300 getting a 2813 and an OC'd X1900xtx with 512mb of memory getting a 374.

It'd be nice to see the correct version...
May 15, 2006 8:17:35 PM

i think they were drunk when they were testing those cards

Very bad benchmarks
May 15, 2006 8:25:46 PM

I hate to sound like a broken record but what the hell is going on with those charts! They need to follow the KISS program. Keep it simple stupid. Take some video cards from the latest generation and benchmark them. Show us the results. Simple ;-) No need for all theses cards from different vendors or overclocked. We can figue that out ourselves. I just want a good baseline result of what the cards can do. Look at Toms older video card charts. Simple complete and easy to decipher.
May 15, 2006 8:46:09 PM

Maybe theres a part 4 coming with the nvidia 7900s.

Come on THG give the people what they want.

A full VGA review.
May 15, 2006 8:49:30 PM

This is a bit better than part 2 as it includes a few more nvidia cards but what about the
high end BFG and eVGA cards ?

Are the 3Dmark benchmarks accurate ? they seem to be backwards...
May 15, 2006 9:32:58 PM

yea what the heck is goin on.... gainward 7800 pwned x1900xtx lol
May 16, 2006 12:03:27 AM

I've been reading Tom's for a long time, these charts have got to be the worst I've seen. I read the title "All Graphics Cards!" and think "sweet, I can finally see how the 7900s and 1900s compare."
I agree that we do not need tests of the same GPU from different manufactures. We realize that their clocks differ from brand to brand, but for the most part they will perform equally at equal clocks.
I, however, do like the OC results. I overclock pretty heavily and enjoy knowing how the parts will overclock on stock voltage. Letting the software find the max clocks works OK, but more can be found by manually clocking, ATItool works well for both Nvida and ATI cards for finding max clocks/temps manually(takes FOREVER on auto mode).

Can we please get some Nvidia cards on the next "All Graphics Cards!"?
May 16, 2006 12:33:01 AM

This review is pure sh!t....

:evil: 
May 16, 2006 1:54:05 AM

Quote:
This review is pure sh!t....

:evil: 

Agreed! It should be renamed to; "How to shoot your self in the foot with another flop".
May 16, 2006 2:02:01 AM

Quote:
Owners of brawnier AMD systems are likely to get another 10 to 20 percent more performance out of this AGP card.

This is a very light affirmation. The point of benchmarking is to uncover the real numbers, not speculate later!

Quote:
AGP Graphics Cards
CPU Intel 3,06 GHz
FSB 133MHz
Motherboard Asus P4P800 Deluxe
Chipset Intel 865, driver 7.2.2.1006
Memory 2 x 512MB, DDR 266 MHz, Dual Channel
Audio Creative SB Live

It's a shame that the system used for AGP is so much crappier than the one used for PCI-Express! Isn't it a basic principle in benchmarking to control as much variable as possible to make the comparison possible between the AGP card and the PCIe one? I'm interrested in buying this exact eVGA card and this review doesn't give me a clear picture of if it is more cost effective to get a PCIe board or keep mine with a 7800GS.

I expected more from Tom's. We want Tom back in the Labs!
May 16, 2006 2:20:23 AM

I'm also quite confused as to why in the conclusions they say that the 7900gt would benefit from 512mb, but none are available yet.

Well I guess the 512mb 7900gt in my PC is just imaginary then.

They've been available for several weeks!
May 16, 2006 3:00:21 AM

Yep the 7900 are roilling out everywhere.

Pity they should have been included.

The title is so misleading "Buyers guide", and "ALL graphics cards"

I was following this article, but now I am disappointed.
May 16, 2006 3:37:28 AM

I've been reading Tom's for 10 years, and this is the worst article ever. It's lopsided (the title should have ATI in it really), packed with incorrect and irrelevant information, and far too long.

I felt so strongly about it, I created a forum login just to complain :p 
May 16, 2006 4:41:11 AM

Yeah.....toms is getting a thumbs down for me too. Too often lately, I have clicked my bookmark to this site and found little to nothing of interest, and moved on to the next site. I am about ready to remove my bookmark. This site is definitely low on my go to for information. :evil: 
May 16, 2006 4:54:46 AM

I'm also disappointed that Nvidia was not included...might as well call this ATI VGA CHARTS. Please do a 4th part.

Unlike the rest here, I liked seeing 3rd party cards as some use different memory and come with different overclocks it is nice to see the exact card you are interested in included in the testing.
May 16, 2006 1:20:20 PM

Disappointment is all im feelen... get ur shit together.
May 16, 2006 2:35:09 PM

Quote:

yeah, or how useful it is to eat ice cream with or if it can be used as a chainsaw, or ...

Well, to the best of my understanding, using a graphic card in a computer would be an intended use of the product, while eating ice cream with it would be an incidental use. However, if you find your ice cream more delicious when eaten using a graphic card, more power to you.

Quote:
You see my point, who cares about mac. You buy them becaues you are about as tech literate as a bug. Drivers are not that difficult to install. And that whole no anti-virus is needed is just a myth

Yes I see flaming coming, but what is a Mac-user doing on a tech-forum

Well

1) apparently I care about the mac, and a fairly simple pragmatic understanding of language would have led you to that conclusion.

2) I don't think bugs are capable of purchasing computers. As for technical competency, I see macs used more for scientific investigations, at least in my own field, than I do PCs, but perhaps that's because I'm in the cognitive sciences, so we care more about human centered design. In general, I see Macs are more likely to be purchased by folks who care more about using the right tool for the job, rather than concern that their technical credentials might be questioned due to their choice of computational tool.

3) "That whole no anti-virus thing" is a bit of a non-sequitor. I don't see what it has to do with graphic card compatibility.

Allow me to suggest that if you have no signal to add to a discussion, you try hard not to add noise. :roll:
May 16, 2006 2:59:28 PM

wow, that has to be the most well-formed and non-argumenative rebuttal I believe I have yet seen on these forums. Kudos to you gorbag for keeping it civil and acting human instead of animalistic. (like so many here)

If that is how mac users act, perhaps Tom's could use more of them on this forum. 8O
May 16, 2006 3:14:28 PM

I may have only read Tom's Hardware Guide for 4 years, but this is the most disapointing review I have ever seen, if not for the misleading title, All graphics card review, lol, it should have the nice red cocky ATI logo on it. Hope theres the next Part 4 with Nvidia and ATI cards.
May 16, 2006 6:57:51 PM

I too would like to express my horror at this obvious oversight.

I have been waiting for reviews of the 7600/7900 series cards, only to be very dissapointed.

I am glad I finally have some benchmarks to confirm my hope that the 7600 cards will fit my budget and performance needs (while trouncing ATI thoroughly in the price/power consumption/heat categories :)  ).

On the other hand I am sure I read that the nVidia cards would be reviewed in part III, I hope I am mistaken and there will be a review of these nVidia cards.

The ironic part is that the 7600/7900 cards are so much better than their ATI competitor's in price, power consumption, and heat dissapation, yet they weren't reviewed and we recieved no pictures.

I believe some may be percieving this as bias, or at the least (like me) very unfair to those of us looking to purchase a card on an nVidia platform.

Please mention in the future if you do plan to review more cards at a future date, because we are all very confused.
May 16, 2006 9:15:44 PM

Very disappointing review. I have been trying to decide between an ATI x1800xt or a Geforce 6900gt, but now I will just have to go to a different website to get unbias reviews.

Other
May 16, 2006 9:32:11 PM

Quote:
Very disappointing review. I have been trying to decide between an ATI x1800xt or a Geforce 6900gt, but now I will just have to go to a different website to get unbias reviews.

Other

I take it you mean 7900GT :D 

Yep I'm in the same boat. It's damn near impossible to find X1800XT 512 vs overclocked 7900GT's most of the benchs seem to favor one or the other and I hoped the Toms VGA charts would be the final word.
May 16, 2006 9:39:12 PM

I am now curious what is going on as the titles have been changed to say they are an ati buyers guide, but the first one links to the old one with the old title and the 1 Nv review of the 7800gs... and then the part3 has alot of Nv cards in the charts but no review.

so is it ati or what? is there going to be a Nv counterpart? Is it all just a mistake?

If a mistake and the confusion afterwards just all of us missunderstanding what is going on then I can forgive...

I just want to know from someone on this site what gives!...
May 17, 2006 1:27:00 AM

That is really impressive to find such a huge unanimity whistleblowing the atrocity of this article in this forum.

What I see is a legendary hardware site celebrating its 10 years, having about the biggest budget to test hardware, destroying its reputation with the worst review ever. Is Tom's name too big to be carried? Aren't there quality processes making sure that no such crap is being published?

Yet, we don't see any officials from Tom's explaining their point of view or defending their article. Maybe they see an extraordinary concept in their methodology and we are just waiting to be educated? Who knows!
May 17, 2006 2:09:13 AM

Go back and look at Toms interactive VGA charts. That is the way they should do it! Just include the newest cards to this list. I know I get gripes about this but they need to continue to to benchmark some of the older cards like they did in the interactive VGA charts. It is important because a lot of these cards are not that old and I want to see if I really need to upgrade or can I wait a while longer. If the difference in a newer game only results in a few more FPS for a new card VS and older one then I would probably opt to wait a while for the price of a newer card to come down in price instead of buying it now. The 7600 GT looks great! BUT if I wait until Xmas to upgrade I might just get the 7900 GT! But I will also be looking at the X1800 XT since you get 512mb of memory with that and the price is not that much more. Heck I still have my old Gefore Ti4200 128mb in a server. I loved Toms charts that compared the 4200 to the next generation cards it showed me that the 4200 did better than some of the newer cards even though it was older technology. I milked that 4200 until I got my present card a 6800 vanilla which has performed well for the last year and a half. Now if I can just hold out till the holidays and then make the move to PCI express!
May 17, 2006 2:42:16 AM

They have changed the three titles to include "ATI" in them... What a LAME move to cover their A$Ses...
So, when are they going to release "NVidia Buyers Guide", huh? 8O
Am I the only one here thinking that this is some sort of test? To see how people reacts? It may sound a little bit paranoid, but, that's what it seems to me...
May 17, 2006 8:55:00 PM

I think that the editors at Tom's Hardware owe you a huge apology for this, and I hope that you will all accept it coming from me.

This article was a translation of an original German language article, and was a round-up of Nvidia and ATI cards. Nvidia branded cards that were included in the German language version are available under other brand names in North America.

During the edit process the Nvidia cards included were pulled out for that reason, ironically enough, to remove the likelihood of confusion. Unfortunately, the change was not reflected in the article or explained. Of course, it also negated some of the inherent value of a round-up.

There is no excuse for it. It's lame.

We can only hope to remedy the situation in future, and to give you a comprehensive, and acceptable graphics card round-up.

We will, over the course of the coming weeks, move to local testing of hardware products here in the US, and reduce the likelihood of this kind of thing happening again.

This has been in the works for some time, and we recognize that vendors distribution and OEM strategies are changing the global nature of the hardware business. We are adapting.

Feel free to email me with you suggestions and comments. We are constantly working at doing a better job of supporting our readers, and will continue to welcome your feedback and suggestions.

Omid Rahmat
CEO
TG Publishing LLC
May 17, 2006 10:28:53 PM

Finally, an apology... That's all we wanted here :) 
I'm looking forward to the full and final roundup! :D 
Sorry... WE are all looking forward to the full and final roundup! :D :D 
May 17, 2006 10:44:56 PM

Great to hear they are going to try to resolve the issue and put out a new VGA charts. I thought there must have been some mistake the first time I looked at the charts. In an earlier post someone said that it was a german translation and maybe this is where the mistakes were made. Well if I had it my way the new VGA charts would look a lot like the interactive charts but with all the new cards added in. If possible I also think people want to know more on noise levels, overclocking, heat and power consumption. CYA!
May 17, 2006 11:11:41 PM

Interactive VGA charts is the best thing to ever happen on THG and I hope you guys do the same when you redo this roundup.
May 18, 2006 1:04:49 AM

Agree with interactive VGA chart as long as they try to find a way to decently put the AGP and PCIe togheter. I believe that there are a lot of people like me always looking to evaluate if the jump to PCIe makes sense right now according to my own needs.
May 18, 2006 4:53:28 AM

Well the title on the front page seems to have been changed to ATI buyers guide. This is a good sign imo
May 18, 2006 5:35:56 PM

Hopfully they will do benchmarks with Oblivion too.

While we wait for that, AnandTech did an Oblivion only benchmark with many differnet PCI-E GPUs in both SLI and Crossfire. They did their test by chip not card, so Tom's can fill the gap of which vendors' xx GPU based card is stronger.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2746
May 18, 2006 5:50:27 PM

Quote:
Well the title on the front page seems to have been changed to ATI buyers guide. This is a good sign imo

but within the article it is still saying "ALL cards...'"

this is the most biased article I've ever read. worst ever.
May 18, 2006 5:58:26 PM

read the whole thread here man, they owned up to the mistake and said it will be rectified in some form later.

When someone admits wrongdoing it would be proper to extend a forgiving attitude and let them make it right...

...it is only once they don't make it right that the ripping can commence. ;) 

give 'em a chance here though, they have been a great review source and should be able to step up here.
May 18, 2006 6:36:01 PM

Quote:
If that is how mac users act, perhaps Tom's could use more of them on this forum. 8O

Maybe there are? ;) 

You must realise, there are assholes in both 'camps', which is why owning a Mac has such an... uh, hm... "evangelistic" stigma. Equally, on the other side of the fence, there are those who choose to believe the vocal minority are representative of the whole.

On-topic? Jesus, this video card roundup is a mess. Don't even know where to start. So I won't.
May 18, 2006 6:41:16 PM

well, hard to justify this being a "mistake" when there are 3 parts to the review.... IMHO its more of an intentional act....really makes me think the author is getting paid for writing such a review..

That said, I've been reading Tom's review for the last 8 years and its been great.
May 18, 2006 7:54:37 PM

Quote:
Yeah.....toms is getting a thumbs down for me too. Too often lately, I have clicked my bookmark to this site and found little to nothing of interest, and moved on to the next site. I am about ready to remove my bookmark. This site is definitely low on my go to for information. :evil: 

It is that for me as well. Toms is suffering from having grown to large I think. It, with few exceptions in it's articles, has lost the depth it once had.

There are other sites out there that do incredible reviews, none of which are mainstream sites. I went to such a site when I did my graphics card research two months back as this site didn't have what I was looking for to my dismay. Why it took Toms so long to publish a review of these cards that have been available for months now is beyond me. And when they finally did it we have what we have.

While I've always gone to multiple sites to get information Toms for years has been my first stop. It's getting to the point where it may not be so. I hope it doesn't come to that.

If you want in depth reviews and comparisons between the leading ATI cards vs the leading GeForce cards, as well as the comparisons between their price/performance sweet spot models (such as the 7600GT). These reviews are our there, though not easy to find. I even found one that compares them all in Oblivion. Search around for it. I shant say where it is, as these are Tom's forums. I'd rather see Tom's get their act together, though I'm somewhat doubtful they will, rather than point it's readers directly elsewhere.

I'm glad to see the apology and I'm certain it's sincere. I just hope that something good truly comes of this. Not only for the grahpics reviews but also for other articles on this site.
May 18, 2006 10:26:21 PM

How nice of you to say so.
May 19, 2006 1:49:44 PM

I hope so... ;) 
!