i have chevette heater core, need pump and waterblock advice

guyin916

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2006
i read up on many recipes.. but i am still lost. i have 2 goals.. one short term, one long term. short term: overclock my amd athlon xp 3000+ 333fsb with watercooling.... i want to improve my video transcoding times.. the board i am using is a dfi lanparty nfii ultra b. my long term goal (prolly achieving later this year) is to get a pentium d 805 and o/c it to ~4.1 ghz. it is not so far fetched, but yeah. i am on a slight budget, but don't want to run into any problems.

i have a 1986 chevy chevette heater core that is brass/copper. well, 3 actually.. i got them for a good deal. if anyone wants one, PM me for a deal. anyways, i plan to use the coolingworks shroud and a custom mount for the rear of my x-blade computer case (space it out about an inch from the case.. it has 120mm holes everywhere)..

so i kinda have that figured out, but i'm having trouble in picking the pump(s) and the waterblocks..... i've been looking at the zalman cpu block.. for what i am going to be doing and plan to accomplish in the future, what should i get? i have an open mind.

the pump i want to be super quiet.. if possible, nothing over 25 db[/b]

i want this upgrade to be painless

Seems to me you're expecting a lot from your 333fsb AthlonXP. Would suggest getting the 805 first and then putting together the water cooling setup.

As far as wanting the upgrade to be painless and/or not have any problems, in the immortal words of Mick Jagger, "You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you'll get just what you need!" What fun would a build or OC project be if you did not run into issues?

And, you want all this on a budget...wow!

It also seems to me that since that article was published about the 805 reaching 4+GHz, every newb in the universe wants to live in intel OC heaven. You may want to re-read that article and realize the true circumstances on how they achieved the 4+GHz.

Hahahaha! Newbs, you guys crack me up! Best of luck!

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
For the pump I suggest the Swiftech MCP655 12 VDC Pump. It's an industrial grade, high performance, very reliable and quite water pump.
As for waterblocks, check out the DangerDen products for it's one of the best high quality water blocks you can buy. That would be a sick cooling setup.

guyin916

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2006
Seems to me you're expecting a lot from your 333fsb AthlonXP. Would suggest getting the 805 first and then putting together the water cooling setup.

As far as wanting the upgrade to be painless and/or not have any problems, in the immortal words of Mick Jagger, "You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you'll get just what you need!" What fun would a build or OC project be if you did not run into issues?

And, you want all this on a budget...wow!

It also seems to me that since that article was published about the 805 reaching 4+GHz, every newb in the universe wants to live in intel OC heaven. You may want to re-read that article and realize the true circumstances on how they achieved the 4+GHz.

Hahahaha! Newbs, you guys crack me up! Best of luck!

so just because i mentioned 805 assumes i am a newbie? you have not read my previous postings (on another topic awhile back). my goal is to improve trancoding/encoding times. somebody suggested watercooling and overclocking my athlon xp 3000+.. so i invested in a radiator.. a lot of people invest in high performing water pumps, but i want a quiet one. so because i want a quiet one also makes me a newbie to the scene?

people like you just need to get a great ass beating if you ask me. i am almost absolutely positive that others think the same way as you. i want to do the watercooling because i find future use of it. it has matured a whole lot. but again, i must be a newbie that does not know what i speak of. i apologize, lord almighty. please share some of your almighty wisdom.

-p

spontayo

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
He's right, if you did some more reading you would find out that the voltage that was required to get the 805 to 4.1 ghz was more than enough to kill it within a few months. This type of tradegy has been well documented with overclocking other "Pressler" based cpu's.

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
Cant beat this I got one but the older model and it is still going I have well used the 10,000 hours, price is somewhat higher than what you are looking for but I can assure you it is a great product
AQUAGATE (RL-HUC-E8U1/E8U2

Mike995

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
What is wrong with you, in all of the posts that I have seen you submit none of them are even constructive. Intels overclock better then amds, end of story amds NEVER had the overclocking crown, no matter what you think. 4.1 ghz on that chip is extremly acheivable considering there isnt a huge FSB restriction.

I never questioned which cpu oc'd better, not sure why you're injecting that...I hihgly doubt that ability of the average home pc builder, including myself, to repeat the results that Tom's achieved with the 805 @ 4.1 GHz.

As far as any of my replies not being constructive, oh please, you're killing me with that...how many "I wanna OC an 805" threads were created after the Tom's article was published, an easy dozen or so...do you read half these threads? What's better, X or Y? AMD vs Intel? nVidia vs ATI? Apples vs. Oranges? Smooth vs Chunky peanut butter? Cats vs. Dogs?

Not for nothing, if the OP had stated that he wanted to OC an existing 805 with the chevette heater core, I would have gladly pointed him to Danger Den and a few FAQ's I know about water cooling...however, he doesn't own an 805, yet...and wanted to water cool an Athlon...was that really worth creating a thread over? Information easily obtained by the OP with a web search and a little patience...

guyin916

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2006
oh wow... but how come the sticky fails to address noise numbers, wiring, pictures, rich man options, poor man options, etc etc.. i feel that it is incomplete. i did say i did try the search function. i somewhat have a feel on what to get, but sometime you get what you pay for. i was thinking of getting some zalman waterblocks, but no one said if they will suit my needs. you guys' constructive/inconstructive criticism isn't helping me.