Windows 7 won't start on my Dell Latitude D610.

jesusgirl

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
Hello,
The Dell I have I bought used off of eBay so I do not have any of the discs. When I turn it on this morning, it has the screen, "windows failed to start....". There was no recent hardware or software change. when I try to run launch start up repair it gives me this message. The system cannot find the path specified. (0x80070003) <clicked ok> start up repair cannot repair this computer automatically either>>>detail, Start up Reapri Offline. To use System Restore, you must specify which windows installation to restore. Windows cannot check for memory problems. When try to just select Start Windows Normally, it begins and when it gets to the glowing Windows 7 Logo, it freezes with the 4 glowing windows boxes. When I hit F12 and try to go into safemode, it shows a huge list of drivers and then just freezes. I was on something else that I now can't remember and it said "no diagnostic utility partition found." Like I said, I don'thave a CD for this computer. Can someone help me fix this issue? This is my home office computer and there are some really important things on here that I need. Thanks in advance for anyone's help!

Since you have important files on this laptop, the first thing to do is to retrieve those files. To do this, you need another computer, remove the hard disk from the laptop and retrieve the files.

Read these manuals: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/latd610/en/index.htm
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/latd610/en/sm_en/hdd.htm#wp1123687

To remove the dard disk, look for a cover at the base of the laptop. Follow directions from the above manual.

You will need this device: http://www.apricorn.com/product_detail.php?type=family&id=39 to connect the laptop hard drive to another running computer. Then open 'Windows Explorer', select the laptop hard disk, and copy the files that you want onto another hard disk on another computer (or use an external enclosure).

(Regarding the eBay purchase, no comments. I don't buy from eBay or Craigslist).

jesusgirl

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
okay, I am trying to get the hard drive out now. I hope this works! I'll let you know.

Thanks

jesusgirl

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
I cannot get the screw out of the back of the laptop. the screw just turns and turns and turns. The other screw is missing. Also, think apricorn link you sent is a broken link. Any suggestions on how to get this screw out? also, could you check your link and re-send it?
Thanks

jesusgirl

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
I got the screw out and I was able to open the link. I really don't want to have to spend 39.00 if I don't have to. I'm not sure if this hard drive even works. Can I take it out and put it in another laptop that I know works. I have an Acer and a Gateway that work. Can I just put this dell hard drive in another laptop and copy my pictures and emails to a usb flash drive? I'm on a budget here.

Thanks,

http://www.apricorn.com/product_detail.php?type=family&id=39
http://www.apricorn.com/ (look for USB to hard disk products)

Apricorn, Inc.
12191 Kirkham Road
Poway, CA 92064
Toll Free: 800.458.5448
In San Diego: 858.513.2000
Fax: 858.513.2020

Call Apricorn. Their Customer support is very good.

Regarding the screw that turns and turns. It means that the threads are stripped. Try and grab it and pull it out by some means.

jesusgirl

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
I do not want to spend 39 dollars on something I am going to use once. I am asking around to see if someone has one I can borrow to check the hard drive that I suspect isn't even any good anyways. I tried installing a new windows 7 disk OEM system builder pack I bought onto the laptop and it cannot even find a hard drive to install it on. So I am stuck there too. I hope I can still use this windows 7 disk even though I used it once just to try and see if it would install. I didn't.
Fortunately, alot of my pictures are on facebook so I am getting them to download those for me now and at least I'll have that recovered. But important emails are gone. I hope I can find a hard drive adapter to borrow. I do not want to spend anymore money on this laptop than I have too.
I am back on my old Gateway that, honestly, I like way better than that Dell. I have always bought Gateways and strayed away from that and bought a Dell and now I am sorry that I did. I'll let you know if I find an adapter to borrow and what happens.

thanks

jesusgirl

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011

I've never heard of microcenter. I live in the country so there isn't much here. there is one company out here but they are very expensive.

If I can find an adapterI can borrow, I'll do it. Otherwise, I'm cutting my loses and moving on since I can't afford to spend the money and I have my old Gateway I can use.
Thanks!

In that case, try local community colleges. Someone there will have this stuff. Local church members perhaps?