HELP! Using cellphone as modem for laptop

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
October 6, 2004 7:50:29 AM

I need some assistance setting up a dial-up connection via my cell
phone. I have a GSM phone on a Cingular GSM nation plan. I have
talked to tech support several times, and I have received various
answers, none of which have been very helpful.

I previously had a Gait phone with a Gait plan, and had no problem
connecting my laptop to my dial-up ISP using the cell phone as the
modem, albeit the connection was very slow. But it was good enough
for what I needed to do. There were no extra charges to do this. I
tried using my gait phone (Nokia 6340i) with the GSM plan, but had no
success and Cingular insisted that my using the 6340i with my GSM
plan would cause billing errors. I have poured over Howard Forums
and the Cingular newsgroups, but have not found a specific answer to
my dilemma.

I understand that the GSM phone uses GPRS for data transfer. I would
like to use CSD, but was told this was not possible. However, others
seem to have been able to have Cingular turn CSD on, so that they
could make data connections if GPRS was not available. I am not keen
on paying by the kb for data transfer. It would not be cost effective
to purchase Cingular's data plan either. I was also told that one
could not tether their laptop to their cell phone and use it as a
modem with WI or WIX.

1. What is the difference between Wireless Internet (and/or Wireless
Internet Express) and Media Works? I was told I could not purchase
WI....but could only purchase WIX, and could NOT tether my cellphone
to my laptop and use it as a modem. With WIX, I get charged by the
KB. With WI, I get charged against my minutes, but it uses TDMA only,
and that it not an option for GSM plans.

2. Would it be possible to purchase one of these options and use the
cellphone as a modem to connect my laptop to the internet? I don't
want to be charged for KB. I would like to use my minutes for data
transfer.

3. Do I need to have CSD activated in order to connect to the
internet with my cellphone tethered to my laptop in order to use
minutes instead of KB? If so, how does one do this?

4. Is there a way of doing all this without being socked for extra
charges? I never had a problem with any extra charges while I was
using my gait phone with my gait plan and connecting my laptop to the
internet. I stayed online for a couple of hours at a time.

5. I used the infrared connection with my 6340i and laptop. I now
have a 6010, and I know it does not have infrared, but was told I
could purchase a data cable. I am unable to find a data cable for
this phone. Does one exist for the 6010?

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

More about : cellphone modem laptop

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 6, 2004 6:18:01 PM

"Marty" <mlzielke@core.com> wrote in message

..

> I understand that the GSM phone uses GPRS for data transfer. I would
> like to use CSD, but was told this was not possible. However, others
> seem to have been able to have Cingular turn CSD on, so that they
> could make data connections if GPRS was not available. I am not keen
> on paying by the kb for data transfer. It would not be cost effective
> to purchase Cingular's data plan either. I was also told that one
> could not tether their laptop to their cell phone and use it as a
> modem with WI or WIX.

I have the unlimited WIX plan for 19.99 and I tether my laptop
to my phone using mobile phone tools, it is not *supported* by
Cingular, but it is certainly possible.

> 1. What is the difference between Wireless Internet (and/or Wireless
> Internet Express) and Media Works? I was told I could not purchase
> WI....but could only purchase WIX, and could NOT tether my cellphone
> to my laptop and use it as a modem. With WIX, I get charged by the
> KB. With WI, I get charged against my minutes, but it uses TDMA only,
> and that it not an option for GSM plans.
I made the choice to pay twenty bucks a month, and never have to worry
about using too much data and getting a surprise bill.

> 2. Would it be possible to purchase one of these options and use the
> cellphone as a modem to connect my laptop to the internet? I don't
> want to be charged for KB. I would like to use my minutes for data
> transfer.
I don't know of a way to use your minutes, but if you get WIX you
can use GPRS

I most definitely found the best information on Howard Forums,
there seem to be alot of people doing exactly what I did.

Bernard
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 6, 2004 7:55:51 PM

you can have your phone as your modem, or it is the same price to just
have a data card with its own line. It is 79.99 unkimited a month,
reply to me and i can get you all the info..,...

--
Lunchboxx
http://cellphoneforums.net

"Lunchboxx" <Lunchboxx.1dq3e1@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote in message

| you can have your phone as your modem, or it is the same price to just
| have a data card with its own line. It is 79.99 unkimited a month,
| reply to me and i can get you all the info..,...

Or subscribe to the MEdia Works plan and get it for $19.99 <wink>
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 7, 2004 4:04:31 AM

media works will only work on phone not on laptops. It used to work for
treo also but now they have updated it and it is 39.99 for treo, 79.99
for laptop, 19.99 for phones, 44.99 blackberry

--
Lunchboxx
http://cellphoneforums.net

Thank you all for your responses. I too, have checked Howard forums,
and several suggestions were offered, one being Media Works. It was
so much easier when I had TDMA with my gait phone. IR on phone and
laptop, setup as standard 9600 phone, and dial my ISP.

Some suggested that I could have Wireless Internet Express Pay Per
Use, and ask Cingular to activate CSD on my account. I have WIX PPU
already on the account, so I guess I just need to convince them to
turn on CSD. That way I would be able to just dial up my regular ISP,
and not cingular's ISP, correct? I know it would be pitifully slow,
but it is fine for what I use it for. I understand that with CSD, I
would use my minutes and not be charged for the kb I use. Is that
also correct?

If I buy Media Works, will I be able to download at much faster
speeds? If so, at what speed.

Last question.....is there something that I would have to set on my
phone so that is uses CSD and not GPRS? I would think that you would
have to manually set the phone, otherwise it will look for GPRS first.
The only thing I currently find on my phone is a feature to have GPRS
always on, or turn on only when needed. This is probably a stupid
question, but will CSD be "activated" in my phone and show up in the
options setting where the GPRS on/off is?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 7, 2004 6:00:31 AM

In <t8T8d.8750$1g5.4589@trnddc07> on Wed, 06 Oct 2004 14:18:01 GMT, "Bernard
Farquart" <bernardfarquart@hotmail.delete.com> wrote:

>"Marty" <mlzielke@core.com> wrote in message

>I have the unlimited WIX plan for 19.99 ...

What you actually have is MEdia Works.

a b D Laptop
October 7, 2004 7:19:31 AM

> In <t8T8d.8750$1g5.4589@trnddc07> on Wed, 06 Oct 2004 14:18:01 GMT,
> "Bernard
> Farquart" <bernardfarquart@hotmail.delete.com> wrote:
>
>>"Marty" <mlzielke@core.com> wrote in message
>
>>I have the unlimited WIX plan for 19.99 ...
>
> What you actually have is MEdia Works.

You are correct, sorry for any confusion to anyone.

Bernard
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 7, 2004 7:22:35 AM

"Lunchboxx" <Lunchboxx.1dq3e1@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote in message

> you can have your phone as your modem, or it is the same price to just
> have a data card with its own line. It is 79.99 unkimited a month,
> reply to me and i can get you all the info..,...

Why would I want to get exactly what I have now, but pay
fifty dollars more per month?

Silly lunchbox, why don't you read my post?

Bernard
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 7, 2004 9:42:25 AM

"Lunchboxx" <Lunchboxx.1dqqb1@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote in message

> media works will only work on phone not on laptops. It used to work for
> treo also but now they have updated it and it is 39.99 for treo, 79.99
> for laptop, 19.99 for phones, 44.99 blackberry

As I have recently stated, that is not true, I surf on my
laptop just fine, using mobile phone tools, and my Media Works
package, tethered to my v400.

Are you going to try to convince me that I have been
halucinating all my web-surfing?

The only problem, I seem to blow out my phones battery
in about four hours of surfing.

But thanks for telling me I could spend more
to so the same thing!

Bernard
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 7, 2004 9:46:38 AM

"Lunchboxx" <Lunchboxx.1dqqb1@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote in message

> media works will only work on phone not on laptops.

Go to www.howardforums.com

you will find hundreds, if not thousands who
are doing what you say is impossible.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 7, 2004 10:05:21 AM

In <Lunchboxx.1dqqb1@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> on Thu, 7 Oct 2004 00:04:31
-0500, Lunchboxx <Lunchboxx.1dqqb1@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote:

>media works will only work on phone not on laptops. It used to work for
>treo also but now they have updated it and it is 39.99 for treo, 79.99
>for laptop, 19.99 for phones, 44.99 blackberry

I'm using MEdia Works with a laptop connected to my handset (SE Z600) over
Bluetooth -- no problem.

a b D Laptop
October 7, 2004 10:36:29 AM

In <Lunchboxx.1dqqb1@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> on Thu, 7 Oct 2004 00:04:31
-0500, Lunchboxx <Lunchboxx.1dqqb1@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote:

>media works will only work on phone not on laptops. It used to work for
>treo also but now they have updated it and it is 39.99 for treo, 79.99
>for laptop, 19.99 for phones, 44.99 blackberry

FYI, I use MEdia Works with a notebook computer tethered over Bluetooth to my
SE Z600 handset -- no problem.

a b D Laptop
October 7, 2004 12:10:38 PM

> If I buy Media Works, will I be able to download at much faster
> speeds? If so, at what speed.

have tested it at www.dslreports.com at 50kps download and
5kps upload. not exactly the same as my dsl at home's 1215/370
but better than nothing.

Bernard
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 7, 2004 12:13:20 PM

"Lunchboxx" <Lunchboxx.1dqqb1@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote in message

| media works will only work on phone not on laptops. It used to work for
| treo also but now they have updated it and it is 39.99 for treo, 79.99
| for laptop, 19.99 for phones, 44.99 blackberry

I can confirm, it works flawlessly when properly setup with a laptop.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 7, 2004 12:21:25 PM

In <e2cb1583.0410062340.74a414cc@posting.google.com> on 7 Oct 2004 00:40:18
-0700, mlzielke@core.com (Marty) wrote:

>Some suggested that I could have Wireless Internet Express Pay Per
>Use, and ask Cingular to activate CSD on my account. I have WIX PPU
>already on the account, so I guess I just need to convince them to
>turn on CSD.

It should already be turned on. If your account and SIM are properly
provisioned, you should be able to use CSD. If not, call Customer Service and
ask to have provisioning "pushed" to your phone.

>That way I would be able to just dial up my regular ISP,
>and not cingular's ISP, correct?

Correct, although Cingular works well as an ISP.

>I know it would be pitifully slow,
>but it is fine for what I use it for.

9600 bps.

>I understand that with CSD, I
>would use my minutes and not be charged for the kb I use. Is that
>also correct?

Correct.

>If I buy Media Works, will I be able to download at much faster
>speeds? If so, at what speed.

Yes -- typically about 50,000 bps (given a phone with a good GPRS
implementation -- not all are good), or about 5x faster.

>Last question.....is there something that I would have to set on my
>phone so that is uses CSD and not GPRS?

Just a CSD data profile.

>I would think that you would
>have to manually set the phone, otherwise it will look for GPRS first.

It selects the protocol based on the profile.

> The only thing I currently find on my phone is a feature to have GPRS
>always on, or turn on only when needed. This is probably a stupid
>question, but will CSD be "activated" in my phone and show up in the
>options setting where the GPRS on/off is?

Unlike GPRS, CSD will not show up when activated.

a b D Laptop
October 9, 2004 1:40:31 AM

> If I buy Media Works, will I be able to download at much faster
> speeds? If so, at what speed.

Don't know what the difference is between "Media Works" and "media
Basic" --- since I can seem to find either on the Cingular Web site

But I do know I tried "Media Basic" and was not able to establish a DCS
connection --- had to go with a data package ---

What is the Media Works --- and how is it found on the Cingular Web
site --- ?????????

--
coveredup
http://cellphoneforums.net

In <coveredup.1du8p0@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> on Fri, 8 Oct 2004 21:40:31
-0500, coveredup <coveredup.1du8p0@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote:

>> If I buy Media Works, will I be able to download at much faster
>> speeds? If so, at what speed.
>
>Don't know what the difference is between "Media Works" and "media
>Basic" --- since I can seem to find either on the Cingular Web site
>
>But I do know I tried "Media Basic" and was not able to establish a DCS
>connection --- had to go with a data package ---
>
>What is the Media Works --- and how is it found on the Cingular Web
>site --- ?????????

http://www.cingular.com/media/media_purchase

October 9, 2004 6:59:46 AM

Update......I spent a frustrating hour on the phone again, with
another customer service representative. I told him I wanted to add
CSD to my account, and he had no clue what I was talking about. So I
explained it all to him, and then he told me I could add Wireless
Internet to my account for $2.99 a month. Tried that before with no
luck, but I told him fine, go ahead. After another 30 minutes, he
said it would not go through. He said he needed to talk to tech
support, and put me on hold. After 10 minutes, he came back and said
they would try to add it to my account. Then he put me on hold again,
and after another 10 minutes, he came back and said he would have to
put in a request to his manager, but that I really didn't need this
because GPRS would work everywhere. I told him that was NOT true. So
he was going to call me back and let me know when and if they got
Wireless Internet added to my account. I would like to be able to use
CSD, but it doesn't look too hopeful. I didn't hear back from him the
rest of day, so we shall see if he calls tomorrow.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 9, 2004 6:49:43 PM

In <e2cb1583.0410090014.241f714f@posting.google.com> on 9 Oct 2004 01:14:38
-0700, mlzielke@core.com (Marty) wrote:

>... Then he put me on hold again,
>and after another 10 minutes, he came back and said he would have to
>put in a request to his manager, but that I really didn't need this
>because GPRS would work everywhere. I told him that was NOT true. ...

Actually it IS true -- GPRS is now available over pretty much the entire
Cingular GSM network -- it should work pretty much anywhere CSD will work. In
addition, GPRS will work when roaming on ATTWS (possible in some but not all
areas), whereas CSD won't.

The only real needs for CSD are for (1) certain dial-up services that can't be
accessed over the Internet, and/or (2) use of minutes rather than bring
charged for data [which can be attractive with a large amount of night/weekend
minutes].

October 10, 2004 4:44:44 AM

Thanks for your reply, John. I live in a rural area, and travel in
rural areas. GPRS is not available in some of the areas that we
travel in. I have had several colleagues tell me they have
experienced problems with GPRS. I just find it aggravating that
Cingular can add this, but they don't want to, because they would
rather have me pay for GPRS data, rather than use my minutes. If I am
willing to use the slower speed, why should that option not be readily
available to the customer? Cell phone service is convenient, but
expensive. I just don't want to pay another $20 for media works, when
$3.99 would get me what I need.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 10, 2004 9:51:02 PM

> GPRS is not available in some of the areas that we
Though the GPRS icon shows up at my suburban home, the signal quality
is such that I've never gotten completely logged on. If I take the laptop
and phone and drive to the lot next to the Cingular store, it works fine.
The local paper had an article saying Cingular now has public detailed
coverage maps. I don't find them on www.cingular.com Are they only at
stores?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 11, 2004 7:09:53 PM

In <aEead.216421$MQ5.57616@attbi_s52> on Sun, 10 Oct 2004 17:51:02 GMT,
tmoran@acm.org wrote:

>> GPRS is not available in some of the areas that we

> Though the GPRS icon shows up at my suburban home, the signal quality
>is such that I've never gotten completely logged on. If I take the laptop
>and phone and drive to the lot next to the Cingular store, it works fine.

You may get better results with a better phone -- GPRS works well (even better
than voice) on my Sony Ericsson phones (e.g., T39m, Z600) even in marginal
signal areas.

> The local paper had an article saying Cingular now has public detailed
>coverage maps. I don't find them on www.cingular.com Are they only at
>stores?

"Google is your friend"
<http://www.google.com/search?q=cingular+gprs+coverage+m...;
First search result:
<http://onlinestore.cingular.com/html/Maps/dataconnect_m...;

a b D Laptop
October 11, 2004 10:45:48 PM

> > Though the GPRS icon shows up at my suburban home, the signal quality
> >is such that I've never gotten completely logged on. If I take the laptop
> >and phone and drive to the lot next to the Cingular store, it works fine.
>
> You may get better results with a better phone -- GPRS works well (even better
> than voice) on my Sony Ericsson phones (e.g., T39m, Z600) even in marginal
> signal areas.
Both Nokia 6200 and Motorola T720 give the same results.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 11, 2004 11:15:37 PM

In <wxAad.159907$wV.135056@attbi_s54> on Mon, 11 Oct 2004 18:45:48 GMT,
tmoran@acm.org wrote:

>> > Though the GPRS icon shows up at my suburban home, the signal quality
>> >is such that I've never gotten completely logged on. If I take the laptop
>> >and phone and drive to the lot next to the Cingular store, it works fine.
>>
>> You may get better results with a better phone -- GPRS works well (even better
>> than voice) on my Sony Ericsson phones (e.g., T39m, Z600) even in marginal
>> signal areas.

> Both Nokia 6200 and Motorola T720 give the same results.

You may get better results with a better phone.

a b D Laptop
October 12, 2004 12:50:37 AM

Last question.....is there something that I would have to set on my
phone so that is uses CSD and not GPRS? I would think that you would
have to manually set the phone, otherwise it will look for GPRS first.
The only thing I currently find on my phone is a feature to have GPRS
always on, or turn on only when needed. This is probably a stupid
question, but will CSD be "activated" in my phone and show up in the
options setting where the GPRS on/off is?
-----------------------
On my phone Nokia 6200 when connected to laptop I dial *99# to connect
to the internet using GPRS -- to connect to cingular's ISP

to make a CSD connection one actually dials the ISP's 10 digit number
----

so you make the call which one to use or in which order -- they are
seperate connection entries in Windows
------------------------------

--
coveredup
http://cellphoneforums.net

With Media Works, I assume you are using GPRS. Is that so? Are you
dialing into Cingular as your ISP? Or do you use another ISP?
Obviously if you use cable or dsl, you would use Cingular as your ISP.
How are your speeds? Thanks.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 13, 2004 6:29:22 PM

> With Media Works, I assume you are using GPRS. Is that so? Are you
> dialing into Cingular as your ISP? Or do you use another ISP?
> Obviously if you use cable or dsl, you would use Cingular as your ISP.
> How are your speeds? Thanks.

With Media Works, you are using GPRS.

You are not "dialing" into *any* ISP, you start
Mobile phone tools, then click the internet icon.

Cable or DSL use cingular? You lost me there.
I have DSL at home, this is only for mobile use.

Speeds while tethered are 50 down, 7 up (kbps)

Not blistering, but good enough for E-mail and
E-Bay.

Bernard
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 13, 2004 6:59:34 PM

In <e2cb1583.0410130121.3ab788b0@posting.google.com> on 13 Oct 2004 02:21:31
-0700, mlzielke@core.com (Marty) wrote:

>With Media Works, I assume you are using GPRS. Is that so?

With MEdia Works you do indeed use GPRS, or EGPRS (EDGE) when using an
EDGE-capable device in an EDGE coverage area.

>Are you
>dialing into Cingular as your ISP? Or do you use another ISP?

There's no "dialing into" any ISP -- GPRS/EGPRS is more like cable or DSL --
you just connect to the Internet.

>Obviously if you use cable or dsl, you would use Cingular as your ISP.

Cingular is the ISP for MEdia Works GPRS/EGPRS, supplying transit to the
Internet and essential TCP/IP services (DNS, routing).

> How are your speeds? Thanks.

Speeds depend on the GPRS/EGPRS Class of your device.
With a 4+1 device, typical speeds are:
GPRS: 50 Kbps downlink, 10 Kbps uplink
EGPRS: 120 Kbps downlink, 24 Kbps uplink

a b D Laptop
October 13, 2004 8:37:51 PM

In <6Zabd.32$l55.24@trnddc09> on Wed, 13 Oct 2004 14:29:22 GMT, "Bernard
Farquart" <bernardfarquart@hotmail.delete.com> wrote:

>"Marty" <mlzielke@core.com> wrote in message
>> With Media Works, I assume you are using GPRS. Is that so? Are you
>> dialing into Cingular as your ISP? Or do you use another ISP?
>> Obviously if you use cable or dsl, you would use Cingular as your ISP.
>> How are your speeds? Thanks.
>
>With Media Works, you are using GPRS.
>
>You are not "dialing" into *any* ISP, you start
>Mobile phone tools, then click the internet icon.

FYI, no Cingular software is needed for MEdia Works (or any other form of
GPRS/EGPRS) -- it can be used with just standard Windows DUN (Dial-Up
Networking).

a b D Laptop
October 14, 2004 8:49:46 AM

> FYI, no Cingular software is needed for MEdia Works (or any other form of
> GPRS/EGPRS) -- it can be used with just standard Windows DUN (Dial-Up
> Networking).

I had heard that, but I could not get it to work until I got
Mobile phone tools. I could not get it to recognize the
phone through device manager ar all.

Now it works great.

That wouldn't be the first time I couldn't get
windows to do something.

Bernard
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 15, 2004 1:48:44 AM

Interesting enough I couldnt get connected with Mobile Phone Tools and
had to use Windos Dial Up to connect ---

and Yes -- You use Cingular as your ISP with GPRS when you use Windows
as I do -- you have to specify ISPDA.CINGULARGPRS.COM in the user ID
area -- something -- in the network takes that and figures out you want
to connect to the ISP at Cingular

I hear WAP.CINGULAR (SP?) also works --- the password is CINGULAR1
and you dial *99# -- this should be documented in your info with the
phone --- but it is VERY had to find out how to set it up and what to
use --- except here on the forums --- I think they REALLY want you to
use the Cingular Mobile Phone Tools ---

--
coveredup
http://cellphoneforums.net

In <coveredup.1e5de0@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> on Thu, 14 Oct 2004 21:48:44
-0500, coveredup <coveredup.1e5de0@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote:

>Interesting enough I couldnt get connected with Mobile Phone Tools and
>had to use Windos Dial Up to connect ---
>
>and Yes -- You use Cingular as your ISP with GPRS when you use Windows
>as I do -- you have to specify ISPDA.CINGULARGPRS.COM in the user ID
>area -- something -- in the network takes that and figures out you want
>to connect to the ISP at Cingular
>
>I hear WAP.CINGULAR (SP?) also works --- the password is CINGULAR1
>and you dial *99# -- this should be documented in your info with the
>phone --- but it is VERY had to find out how to set it up and what to
>use --- except here on the forums ---

Not really -- see "DEVICE & SOFTWARE SETTINGS" at
<http://alliance.cingularinteractive.com/dev/cda/home/1,...;

>I think they REALLY want you to
>use the Cingular Mobile Phone Tools ---

Of course -- makes support much easier.

a b D Laptop
October 15, 2004 9:20:06 PM

O No -- guess we should not have put a message here

Its has stopped working - via Media Works--- via the Cable --- still
works on the phone !!!!says need to subscribe with cable--

anyone still working with cable and Media Works??

--
coveredup
http://cellphoneforums.net

"coveredup" <coveredup.1e6vk0@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote in message

| O No -- guess we should not have put a message here
|
| Its has stopped working - via Media Works--- via the Cable --- still
| works on the phone !!!!says need to subscribe with cable--
|
| anyone still working with cable and Media Works??

Working via bluetooth (virtual serial port) connected to notebook.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 17, 2004 7:57:33 AM

"coveredup" <coveredup.1e6vk0@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote in message

> O No -- guess we should not have put a message here
>
> Its has stopped working - via Media Works--- via the Cable --- still
> works on the phone !!!!says need to subscribe with cable--

Who or what says you need to subscibe?
if you call customer service, I am sure they do.

> anyone still working with cable and Media Works??

I can't say what your issue is. It is working fine for me.

In my business we call this "operator error" :)

Bernard
!