98 SE setup Blues

CowGod2134

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I am trying to install windows 98 se for a friend on an older computer i dont really know to much as far as the hardware goes but its at least 4-5 years old. The computer had win 98 se on it before so i know i should be able to do this. I created a boot disk booted to it used format c: to format the HD then used "setup d:" to start the instalation. Everything was working the win 98 installation screen started with all it VGA color glory. The first thig it does is a setup check or something this finish goes to 100% then i get an error.

"MESSAGE: SU995035 Invalid command option was specified with setup comman option. (0 x 13ab)"

after the error message the computer will return to the A: prompt in DOS i am at a lose.

I need some help

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by cowgod2134 on 07/09/01 04:37 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
Ok, the reason its srashing out oun you is the "d:" you are putting after SETUP, there are quite a few switches that can be used after SETUP, but D: isnt one of them :),boot from the floppy, start with cd support, it will tell you what drive letter your cd is (depending on type of boot disk, drives in system etc), go to that drive by typing for example E: and press enter, verify you are in the right place by typing DIR and press enter- you should see the win98 cd listing. type SETUP (nothing after SETUP) and press enter., quick tip if you ever have probs with dum scandisk giving errors when it scans just before the gui part of setup, is use /is after setup- SETUP /is , misses the dos scandisk out, for other swithces type SETUP /? it will give you a list

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

CowGod2134

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks for the TIP it worked i got win 98 to install. ERRRRRRRRR i should have known that i have only installed win 98 1000000000 times, anywho thanks