Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

HandyTone-486 behind or infront of router

Last response: in Networking
Share
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 6:22:12 PM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

I currently run my HandyTone-486 behind a D-Link 614+ revA (no QoS). It
works ok, but sound quality deteriorates once anyone start downloading a
file or a large mail comes in on my server. (Have http and smtp on the same
line)

The question is: Will I be better off putting the HandyTone in front of the
router and set DMZ to point to the router without any port forwarding?
Anyone tried this? I know I have to alter a lot of the settings in the
router for web and stuff, but I don't mind as long as the setup works fine.
So, I am looking for positive feedback from anyone that have tried the move
or any experience from running HandyTone behind or infront of a non QoS
router.

Misc tech info
-1Mb sdsl line
-PCMA vocoder (others give echo and noise)
-D-Link DI-614+ 2.32 firmware
-HandyTone 486 firmware: 1.0.5.16

--
Johan

-------------------------------------------------
Johan Karl Larsen http://www.itlarsen.net
Senior Software Engineer (B.Sc)
Skype callto://johankarl Asker/Norway
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 8:29:33 PM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

> The question is: Will I be better off putting the HandyTone in front of
the
> router and set DMZ to point to the router without any port forwarding?
> Anyone tried this? I know I have to alter a lot of the settings in the
> router for web and stuff, but I don't mind as long as the setup works
fine.
> So, I am looking for positive feedback from anyone that have tried the
move
> or any experience from running HandyTone behind or infront of a non QoS
> router.

Hi there!

To be honest, it doesn't work that well! The router in the ATA486 is very
simplified!
You will need to do port-forwarding from the ATA486 to your D-Link Router
and then do a second port-forwarding to your webserver.
The DMZ does not work 100 % reliable! So sometimes traffic is not routed
through!
Yes, the QoS feature of the adapter will ensure that your calls have
priority.
I have currently set up your scenario at my place. I am not totally
satisfied because I have to reset the ATA486 now and then.
Last weekend I updated the ATA486 to version 1.0.5.18
Since then it works a lot better!
If you can live with it that you have to reset the router every now and then
(every second to every third day) than it´s ok.
If you need reliabilty for others and yourself to always be able to connect
to your file/web/mailserver you won't be glad with this solution!

Just try it! And please post your experiences here! I'd be interested!
By the way it's not that much work to swith form one setup to the other! At
least IMHO.

Andrian
Anonymous
December 15, 2004 4:28:29 PM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

> If you can live with it that you have to reset the router every now and
> then
> (every second to every third day) than it´s ok.
> If you need reliabilty for others and yourself to always be able to
> connect
> to your file/web/mailserver you won't be glad with this solution!
>
> Just try it! And please post your experiences here! I'd be interested!
> By the way it's not that much work to swith form one setup to the other!
> At
> least IMHO.
>

Thanks Andrian

I think I have to put it on hold for a while. Replacement of router might be
a better/less troublesome option. Anyway, I have a cheap digital timer that
will take care of the reset bit (one minute off sequence during night) Might
give it a try if time permits.

Most sensible solution would probably be to wait for a router that have SIP
built in and are without any locked subscribers. Also need a solution that
takes care of the spaghetti jungle of power adapters and patch cables. Most
optimal solution for me is a router with SIP and sdsl support in one unit.

--
Johan
Related resources
Anonymous
December 16, 2004 4:20:27 AM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

Draytek Vigor 2600V or 2600VG has 2 SIP ports, there is also 2500V with one.
I believe Zoom X5 ? also have SIP port.
Regards,
Martin
Anonymous
December 17, 2004 4:11:01 AM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

"Johan Karl Larsen" <spamtrap11@itlarsen.net> wrote in message
news:cpk8ah$aql$1@services.kq.no...
>I currently run my HandyTone-486 behind a D-Link 614+ revA (no QoS). It
>works ok, but sound quality deteriorates once anyone start downloading a
>file or a large mail comes in on my server. (Have http and smtp on the same
>line)
>
> The question is: Will I be better off putting the HandyTone in front of
> the router and set DMZ to point to the router without any port forwarding?
> Anyone tried this? I know I have to alter a lot of the settings in the
> router for web and stuff, but I don't mind as long as the setup works
> fine. So, I am looking for positive feedback from anyone that have tried
> the move or any experience from running HandyTone behind or infront of a
> non QoS router.
>

Looks like the HT486 is not designed to be in front of a router handling
heavy NATing of web/smtp/eMule to a private local network. It is built as a
simple one PC solution for internet users that do not want to buy an
additional router. Makes sense considering the price and h/w size. Anyway,
works fine for me _behind_ the DI-614+ as long as other traffic don't go
skyrocketing.

--
Johan
!