Sign in with
Your question

MSI K8N Diamond Plus Southbridge HOT!!

Last response: in Motherboards
May 15, 2006 5:06:21 PM

I just built a new machine with the MSI K8N Diamond plus and I noticed that the heatsink for the southbridge chipset is very hot almost too hot to touch. I was wondering if anybody else's is the same way or if somthing is wrong. Also could i put a fan on it to help keep it cool?

MSI K8N Diamond Plus
EVGA 7900GT KO
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
2GB Corsair XMS DDR400
160GB Maxtor SATA Dive
a b V Motherboard
May 16, 2006 7:45:21 AM

Yeh, that's normal, haven't heard of any dying yet.
May 16, 2006 9:08:20 AM

Noticed it too, I added it in the chain of things to water cool. now my internal temp went down a lot.
Related resources
May 25, 2006 5:11:13 PM

HI,

Ive put a system together for a friend , using this board, and a 4400+ and the system temp using core centre is 58 degrees on idle, and after its been running for 15mins or so.

Once i launch a game , and run that for a while its 65, but the CPU temp is never above 40 no matter what.

I have a tool for checking the temp of things ( compliments of my old work place) and once i put the probe on the southbridge, its 75.

Seems to me this heatpipe arrangement isnt the best thing.
May 25, 2006 6:06:22 PM

It runs hot. Mine runs around 50C, but it used to run hotter (around 60C). My heatpipe had a little dent in it that was causing the circulation inside to be restricted. I called MSI and had them send me a new heatpipe system. It runs 10C cooler now. A damaged heatpipe could be the problem. You could try adding a stick on chip set heatsink to the SB heatsink too.

Like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1683...

I'm running much the same setup as you guys, 4400+, 2x7900GT KO's, 2x1GB G-Skill, WD HDDs, etc.

These things run a little hot, but it's normal. The chipset should be ok as long as it's below 75C.
May 26, 2006 8:13:42 AM

HI.

Many thanks for that.

Its fitted with 2x7800gtx cards, so i cant put a fan ontop of it as the lower card runs directly over the chipset.
I did notice a small dent in it tho.
Chances are i will have to rma the board, living in the uk, i doubt they will just send a new heatpipe out to me.

I have been looking at the k9n diamond, as thats not long been out, and i have noticed that you can add a fan to it as the bottem video card doesnt run over the chipset.Wonder if they took onboard this issue when designing the board.
May 26, 2006 1:09:39 PM

Quote:
I just built a new machine with the MSI K8N Diamond plus and I noticed that the heatsink for the southbridge chipset is very hot almost too hot to touch. I was wondering if anybody else's is the same way or if somthing is wrong. Also could i put a fan on it to help keep it cool?

MSI K8N Diamond Plus
EVGA 7900GT KO
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
2GB Corsair XMS DDR400
160GB Maxtor SATA Dive

While not necessary, you certainly could put a fan on it.

Adding 120mm fans to the front and back of the case would also help.
!