MSI K8N Diamond Plus Southbridge HOT!!

I just built a new machine with the MSI K8N Diamond plus and I noticed that the heatsink for the southbridge chipset is very hot almost too hot to touch. I was wondering if anybody else's is the same way or if somthing is wrong. Also could i put a fan on it to help keep it cool?

MSI K8N Diamond Plus
EVGA 7900GT KO
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
2GB Corsair XMS DDR400
160GB Maxtor SATA Dive
6 answers Last reply
More about diamond southbridge
  1. Yeh, that's normal, haven't heard of any dying yet.
  2. Noticed it too, I added it in the chain of things to water cool. now my internal temp went down a lot.
  3. HI,

Ive put a system together for a friend , using this board, and a 4400+ and the system temp using core centre is 58 degrees on idle, and after its been running for 15mins or so.

Once i launch a game , and run that for a while its 65, but the CPU temp is never above 40 no matter what.

I have a tool for checking the temp of things ( compliments of my old work place) and once i put the probe on the southbridge, its 75.

Seems to me this heatpipe arrangement isnt the best thing.
  4. It runs hot. Mine runs around 50C, but it used to run hotter (around 60C). My heatpipe had a little dent in it that was causing the circulation inside to be restricted. I called MSI and had them send me a new heatpipe system. It runs 10C cooler now. A damaged heatpipe could be the problem. You could try adding a stick on chip set heatsink to the SB heatsink too.

Like this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835103155

I'm running much the same setup as you guys, 4400+, 2x7900GT KO's, 2x1GB G-Skill, WD HDDs, etc.

These things run a little hot, but it's normal. The chipset should be ok as long as it's below 75C.
  5. HI.

Many thanks for that.

Its fitted with 2x7800gtx cards, so i cant put a fan ontop of it as the lower card runs directly over the chipset.
    I did notice a small dent in it tho.
    Chances are i will have to rma the board, living in the uk, i doubt they will just send a new heatpipe out to me.

I have been looking at the k9n diamond, as thats not long been out, and i have noticed that you can add a fan to it as the bottem video card doesnt run over the chipset.Wonder if they took onboard this issue when designing the board.
  6. Quote:
    I just built a new machine with the MSI K8N Diamond plus and I noticed that the heatsink for the southbridge chipset is very hot almost too hot to touch. I was wondering if anybody else's is the same way or if somthing is wrong. Also could i put a fan on it to help keep it cool?

MSI K8N Diamond Plus
    EVGA 7900GT KO
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
    2GB Corsair XMS DDR400
    160GB Maxtor SATA Dive

While not necessary, you certainly could put a fan on it.

Adding 120mm fans to the front and back of the case would also help.
Ask a new question

Read More

MSI-Microstar Diamond Southbridge Motherboards Product