first time overclockers, pls help...

invictus25

Distinguished
May 5, 2006
pls help and lemme know how to overclock. this is my first time doing it... so u can pretty much say that i am a noob... i dont even know if i it is a must to go into the bios to overclock or i cna do it using a s/w from inside the os. but rite, now, i can increase the fsb from 200 to 222(max) using an interface provided by my mobo. other than that, i cant change anything much. so what should i do? my system's specs is on my sig.

PX7800GT

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
OK Man , You Have The Same MotherBoard & CPU That I Have ...
So I Think I Can Give You Some Tips ...
First Of All , You SHOULD OverClock Your CPU From BIOS Not Any S/W ... (Words Of MadModMike :twisted: )
OK ... Go To Your Bios ,There Must A Page In Your Bios Named "Core Cell"
Go There ... Make Sure Cool`n`Quiet Is Disable ...
Increase The CPU Voltage By 3.3% (That Makes CPU Voltage To~1.45)
Reduce HTT Multiplier From 5X To 4X ...
Increase The Chip (NF4) Voltage From 1.5 To 1.55
Then Go To Memory Page ,Use Manual Setting & Reduce The Memory Freq From 200 To 166 ...
Go Back To Core Cell Page ,Use 2.6 (Stock) Volt For Memory If You Do Not Wish To Go More Than 240MHz HTT Freq (Means ~2.2GHz) ... & I Recommand Not To Go More Than 240~250 on Stock Cooling ...
Now You Can Start @ 240MHz (2160MHz) Freq ... Save & Exit Bios ... Download Prime95 & Let It Test Your System For At Least 8~10Hours ... If Stable You Can Push Your Cpu To 250x9 = 2250 , But Remember When You Go More Than 240 , Your Memory Will Get To +DDR400 ... That Will Need More Voltage For Memory ... If You Set Your HTT Freq To 250 , Then You Should Change Your Memory Voltage To 2.8 , CPU +5% , & NF4 Voltage To 1.6 ...
If Its Not Stable @ 240MHz , Then Go To Bios & Use 235MHz , Then Do The Same Prime95 Test Again ... If Not Stable @ 235 Then Use 230 ...
Just Make Sure That Your CPU`s Temp Never Goes More Than 55`C !!
These Are Some Basic Help ... You Should Search Google For More Information Before Doing Anything ...
As You Can See in My Sig , My AMD 64 3000+ Is Now Working @ 2160MHz (Thanks To THG Forumz Boys)... But I Read A Lot Before Doing This ...
Happy OverClocking ... 8)

invictus25

Distinguished
May 5, 2006
well, thx so much for the elaborated explanation...just wat i was looking for! cos this is seriously my first time overclocking and i dont wanna cause any damage to my pc... i am a little busy today tho so i have no time to do the overclocking (gotta study for tomo's paper :wink: ). but dont go away... i might still need your help...hehe...

btw, u were saying that i have to try a few settings b4 i can get a stable system. so, what is an unstable system? define unstable pls... :D

DorumonFanatic

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
Well this is my first time overclocking too!
An unstable system means a blue screen of death from when I overclocked it a bit too much. Also when you get an unstable system you will not be able to put any load on the processor without it crashing. If you overclock it too much and it shows nothing on your screen when it reboots then you have to reset the bios.

PX7800GT

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
Well , Unstable System , Means Crashing ,No Boot ...
My Stable Will Crash If I Use 250MHz FSB (250x9=2250) , Which Means That I Cant Play Doom III For More Than 5 Minutes , Because System Will Crash ...
& @ 260MHz ... My System Won`t Boot , I My Monitor Goes To Standby ...
But Don`t Worry If Your System Wont Boot ... There Is A Button On Your MSI MotherBoard (Near The South Bridge) That Reset Your Bios To It`s Deafult Settings ...
But I Say Do Not Use More Than 240~250MHz HTT Freq ... Because You Need More Voltage & That Will Shorten Your CPU`s Life ...
I Use 240x9=2160MHz , & I`m Super Happy With My CPU ...
I Can Now Play Some CPU Limited Games Like "Winter Assault" in 1280x1024 , Max With Some Good Frames ... :twisted:

PX7800GT

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
Well , Unstable System , Means Crashing ,No Boot ...
My System Will Crash If I Use 250MHz FSB (250x9=2250) , Which Means That I Cant Play Doom III For More Than 5 Minutes , Because System Will Crash ...
& @ 260MHz ... My System Won`t Boot ,My Monitor Goes To Standby ...
But Don`t Worry If Your System Wont Boot ... There Is A Button On Your MSI MotherBoard (Near The South Bridge) That Reset Your Bios To It`s Deafult Settings ... Be Cool 8)
But I Recommand Not To Use More Than 240~250MHz HTT Freq ... Because You Need More Voltage For CPU & Memory & That Will Shorten Your System`s Life ... :evil:
I Use 240x9=2160MHz , & I`m Super Happy With My CPU ...
I Can Now Play Some CPU Limited Games Like "Winter Assault" in 1280x1024 , Max With Some Good Frames ... :twisted: