hi
ive got the following gaming rig

amd 64 3000+ with hyperthreading
msi nforce 4 based mobo
1 gb 400 mhz ddr ram
xfx nvidia 6600 gt 128 mb ddr3 ram
80 gb sata segate hdd
mercury 400w psu

now my pc is pretty capable of high end gaming and i get pretty nice frame rates on most games with maxxed out settings. however ive been facing this problem. whenever im playing latest games such as doom 3 nfs most wanted on maxxed out settings after 10-15 mins my display suddenly goes off tht is my monitor light turns orange. however while playing the frame rates are always 50+ and i can not observer any crippling in performance. on idle my gpu runs at 55 c and on full load at around 85 c. (summers in india are pretty hot). however when i run low end games this prblem doesnt happen and also ive tried running my pc in an air conditioned environment and ive not faced such a problem. now my friends tell me that this is due to the fact that my psu cannot supply enough juice to the card at maxxed settings. can neone advice on the situation and suggest a solution.

P.S. whenever im not gaming the system is pretty stable and runs for long periods without showing any signs of instability.

My cpu runs at around 45-50 c and the mobo also at the same range.

Gpu runs at 55c on idle and 85 c on full load while ambient temp is 46c on idle and 75 c on full load.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
It could be PSU but I'm more inclined to think it's heat.

however when i run low end games this prblem doesnt happen and also ive tried running my pc in an air conditioned environment and ive not faced such a problem

If it doesn't happen at low load or in an air conditioned atmosphere it just sounds like it's not cool enough... 85C is pretty damn high. Your ambient air temperature must get high enough that it's not cool enough to cool off your GPUs. Not much you can do except try an after market vid card HSF and maybe add some more fans to your case... water cooling might be your only option.

mo

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2004
thnx fr the help guys. im right now looking for a new psu and a water cooling kit. anyhow can u guys tell me at what temperature my gpu will start taking damage? i mean the nvidia threshhold shows 127 c so 85 c is pretty low right? and if 85c is pretty damn high like u said then what target temp am i looking for at full load? plz reply.