AMD, Nvidia ready big anti-Dell push

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006
Want to eat into business desktop market

By INQUIRER staff: Monday 15 May 2006, 07:22
NVIDIA AND AMD are readying to give Intel a bloody nose in the business market, confirming our earlier reports it's readying a full frontal attack on Chipzilla.

See Nvidia, AMD square off against Intel business PCs.

According to Echannel Line, Nvidia has signed up the top 20 system integrators worldwide to take a chunk out of Intel's arm and Dell's leg.

The initiative, according to Nvidia product manager, could eat 20 million business PCs in its first year.

The corporate market has so far been an uphill struggle for AMD on the desktop front, but its foothold with servers allied to an Nvidia reference mobo could give it a fighting chance to make some wins. µ

L'INQ
Echannel Line

Home Discuss on our Forum Flame Author
Recommend this article Print

Top INQ Stories
1. XBox 360 cracked
2. New Windows Media player leaked
3. Apple iPhone is a go
4. AMD to revive megahurtz war
5. Internet joke compounds death crash crime
Read it and weep Dell.link

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006

NVIDIA AND AMD are readying to give Intel a bloody nose in the business market, confirming our earlier reports it's readying a full frontal attack on Chipzilla.

According to Echannel Line, Nvidia has signed up the top 20 system integrators worldwide to take a chunk out of Intel's arm and Dell's leg.

The initiative, according to Nvidia product manager, could eat 20 million business PCs in its first year.

The corporate market has so far been an uphill struggle for AMD on the desktop front, but its foothold with servers allied to an Nvidia reference mobo could give it a fighting chance to make some wins. µ

L'INQ
Echannel Line

Top INQ Stories
1. XBox 360 cracked
3. Apple iPhone is a go

Yeah. Dell Sucks Nacho Libre BallZ. But Change your Intel Fanboy thing on ur Stats. Conroe EE 3.33Ghz is really starting to make me think about becoming a Intel fan now. Althoguh i'm getting a Opteron 175@ 2.8Ghz and the Conroe E6700 or Maybe the 3.34Ghz EE Conroe. Yay the 2 Fastest Computers in Toronto. I hope and wish i'm the first!!!!!!!

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Curious that you post the article on a forum. So--you DID get permission from the author, right?

This article doesn't matter a whole lot I suppose, being that it is speculation. Also, NVIDIA is used in many Dell systems still, so I doubt NVIDIA would want to go against one of their allies at this point. I could be wrong. If so...nice knowing ya NVIDIA.

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001

L'INQ
Echannel Line

Top INQ Stories
1. XBox 360 cracked
3. Apple iPhone is a go

AMd P4Wn5 InteL, 1n+EL 4Nd D3LL wiLl DiE 8EC4USe AmD 4nD Nv1di@ 4Re w4y B3++ER +HaN 1NT3l 4nD d3lL. BOw D0Wn +O AMd n0Ob$!!!

xombie2000

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2006

L'INQ
Echannel Line

Top INQ Stories
1. XBox 360 cracked
3. Apple iPhone is a go

AMd P4Wn5 InteL, 1n+EL 4Nd D3LL wiLl DiE 8EC4USe AmD 4nD Nv1di@ 4Re w4y B3++ER +HaN 1NT3l 4nD d3lL. BOw D0Wn +O AMd n0Ob$!!!
W 0 |2 |)

MrsD

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Funny how by reading a post you can tell who the kids are and who the adults are. First of all, Conroe's spectacular benchmarks are a myth, until its released. Everything you have read has been an "engineering sample". Remember how intel pimped the Prescott "engineering samples". Haha.
Either way, I hope conroe kicks ass, cause thats just going to bring intel its first real competative processor in 2 years. That will bring the prices down for us all. But we all know, AMDis not about to stop its market rape when it's been gaining market for so long. They will keep pace trust me. Intel has been following amd's archietecture in order to catch up. Thats why the new core duo's are not clocked very high. Intel finally realized clock speed and cache mean nothing with their current architecture.

xombie2000

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2006
My previous post was in jest at Spud....

But we all know, AMDis not about to stop its market rape when it's been gaining market for so long. They will keep pace trust me.

Other than speculation of K8L what else is there? I read a lot, web pages, forums etc for tech news and all I have heard about is K8L in distance and K10 in late 2008, maybe.

Intel has been following amd's architecture in order to catch up. Thats why the new core duo's are not clocked very high. Intel finally realized clock speed and cache mean nothing with their current architecture.

You may want to read this (http://www.realworldtech.com/page.cfm?ArticleID=RWT030906143144) before speculating too much about the architecure. Of course this all comes from a person that will buy whatever performs the best and has no real loyalty to either AMD or Intel, but rather to my wallet.

Action_Man

Splendid
Jan 7, 2004
Remember how intel pimped the Prescott "engineering samples". Haha.

No, they sucked.

Intel has been following amd's archietecture in order to catch up. Thats why the new core duo's are not clocked very high. Intel finally realized clock speed and cache mean nothing with their current architecture.

What are you on?

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
Funny how by reading a post you can tell who the kids are and who the adults are. First of all, Conroe's spectacular benchmarks are a myth, until its released. Everything you have read has been an "engineering sample". Remember how intel pimped the Prescott "engineering samples". Haha.
Either way, I hope conroe kicks ass, cause thats just going to bring intel its first real competative processor in 2 years. That will bring the prices down for us all. But we all know, AMDis not about to stop its market rape when it's been gaining market for so long. They will keep pace trust me. Intel has been following amd's archietecture in order to catch up. Thats why the new core duo's are not clocked very high. Intel finally realized clock speed and cache mean nothing with their current architecture.

There weren’t any Prescott engineering samples that were pimped or hot-rodded.

azrealhk

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
Just to say, I like Dell their service is excellent.
I recommend them to non-computer literate friends.

However on the subject, but shouldn't AMD and NVidia try harder to work with Dell rather than againts.

AMD did it with SUN and now some of SUN's X86 based servers are Opterons. We bought a few and they work great.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Perhaps I am invisible--?

Not trying to throw a tantrum, but c'mon guys--this is the inquirer! Not to mention the fact that DVDpiddy's post is against TGFORUMZ policy and frankly against "theinquirer.net"'s usage policy to COPY their article without written permission. I didn't want to come off as an arrogant ??ick or a tattle-tell, but at this point I may just have to blow the whistle.

k2000k

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
MrsD you are way misinformed, what you have just stated about the Conroe benchmarks being a myth or false. Not to mention the whole debate about engineering samples being better than retail products is ludicrous and has been proven so by others far more knowledgeablethan I. But just use some common sense here, why in the hell would retail processors be worse than the engineering sample? I mean if they found out how to create the engineering sample, and assuming that it meets their expectation, then all they need to do is repeat what they did on massive scale.

k2000k

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
MrsD you are way misinformed, what you have just stated about the Conroe benchmarks being a myth or false. Not to mention the whole debate about engineering samples being better than retail products is ludicrous and has been proven so by others far more knowledgeablethan I. But just use some common sense here, why in the hell would retail processors be worse than the engineering sample? I mean if they found out how to create the engineering sample, and assuming that it meets their expectation, then all they need to do is repeat what they did on massive scale.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
dvdpiddy, you used to be at least a reasonable sort of guy....

Now that the mods have told 9-inch to stick it after they finally realised that 8O this site isn't 9-inch's blog 8O we don't need someone to fill his shoes, do we now.

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006
dvdpiddy, you used to be at least a reasonable sort of guy....

Now that the mods have told 9-inch to stick it after they finally realised that 8O this site isn't 9-inch's blog 8O we don't need someone to fill his shoes, do we now.
I know i know i just wanted to try it once and see how it felt i'll stop now ok guys?

K8MAN

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005
AMD and Nvidia need to concentrate on getting something really worthwhile out to the market such as the XPS concept Dell recently showed. Best thing about it is that it fold up and looks exactly like a briefcase and is easy to carry even though its heavy. http://www.engadget.com/2006/01/06/hands-on-with-dells-xps-mobile-concept-pc/
I think this is where everything will be headed and these things would be so rediculously practical for buisness and home user's alike. Only drawback is unfortunly they are a pain in the ass to take apart and rely on bluetooth for the detachable KB and still have a touchpad. Killer performance and the 20 inch screen is :D

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
AMD and Nvidia need to concentrate on getting something really worthwhile out to the market such as the XPS concept Dell recently showed. Best thing about it is that it fold up and looks exactly like a briefcase and is easy to carry even though its heavy. http://www.engadget.com/2006/01/06/hands-on-with-dells-xps-mobile-concept-pc/
I think this is where everything will be headed and these things would be so rediculously practical for buisness and home user's alike. Only drawback is unfortunly they are a pain in the ass to take apart and rely on bluetooth for the detachable KB and still have a touchpad. Killer performance and the 20 inch screen is :D

AMD and nVidia are NOT going to sell systems. They want OEMs to embrace the platform. That's how Intel got business customers, by providing a platform for system builders to make "standardized" machines. If AMD/nVidia can provide a generic platform where they buy everything (including IGP) from one source that will be the last stone to turn to get Dell. Or to get some other OEMs to offer more business desktops. Can anyone say HP?

K8MAN

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005
Ye sry I should have been more clear. They should design something like that as a reference machine for a big vendor such as HP. HP is doing well this year so they would be the perfect candidate. I had to laugh the other day when I got one of the dell corp emails i get and they were bragging about how they had met their margins and blah blah blah and burried not too deeply was even more info about how much market share they has lost to HP last year and the reasoning they think and ways we should improve and blah blah blah. I think it's clear that not having AMD, especially in the past 2 years, has really hurt Dell and their reputation for support is only hurting them more. Hopefully Conroe will light up the fire under their ass or the shareholders will be angrier.

mpjesse

Splendid
Curious that you post the article on a forum. So--you DID get permission from the author, right?

Dude, the only reason The Inquirer exists is because wacko fan boys like dvdpiddy post their insipid, half-correct articles in forums like these. And like minded knuckleheads click on the URL.

Were it not for forums, The Inquirer would be seen as nothing more than some lame blog... which is really what it is. Seriously, that stupid website has zero journalistic ethics or guidelines. 99% of the articles are based on rumors.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Ye sry I should have been more clear. They should design something like that as a reference machine for a big vendor such as HP. HP is doing well this year so they would be the perfect candidate. I had to laugh the other day when I got one of the dell corp emails i get and they were bragging about how they had met their margins and blah blah blah and burried not too deeply was even more info about how much market share they has lost to HP last year and the reasoning they think and ways we should improve and blah blah blah. I think it's clear that not having AMD, especially in the past 2 years, has really hurt Dell and their reputation for support is only hurting them more. Hopefully Conroe will light up the fire under their ass or the shareholders will be angrier.

That's the whole point of Tritium. AMD has enough momentum to carry them through the year. Businesses don't buy when a new proc or platform comes out. By the time AM2 is 50%, a new cycle will come around and if SuperMicro and Tyan pick up the platform, HP and Lenovo won't be far behind.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
I don't care what these companies are going to do with each other, as long as there's an affordable high performance chip in the end. They should compete with the cheapest price, that way they're both winners and me too.