Sign in with
Your question

Windows XP unable to read files on USB Drive

Last response: in Storage
May 15, 2006 8:09:11 PM

I have 2 PC's. I have a Windows 98 PC which is connected to the internet, and a Windows XP (Athlon 1900+) which is NOT CONNECTED to the internet. I download files on the Windows 98 PC, then copy them to my External USB Samsung 160 GB Hard Drive. I then plug the USB drive into the Windows XP system to transfer the files. This worked perfectly ok for the last 4 months, but last week, although my Windows 98 PC can read & run the files ok, my Windows XP PC cannot read the files. What can I do as I would hate to loose 120 GB files. The Windows 98 system can definitely read all the files, it can unzip them, & install them.

Hope someone can help,

Mike
m.spencer706@btinternet.com
May 18, 2006 10:10:44 PM

Please check whether the USB ports on your XP is fuctioning properly by pluging in another USB device (a USB flash drive is better as it has the similar function as your USB hard drive).
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 14, 2009 3:35:06 AM

passing-thru said:
Please check whether the USB ports on your XP is fuctioning properly by pluging in another USB device (a USB flash drive is better as it has the similar function as your USB hard drive).

Okay, what if other devices do work in the usb port? I'm having a similar, if not the same, problem with my USB hard drive. I plug it in, I go to computer and it doesn't show up and my computer goes REALLY slow.
!