757 and a Longer range 777?

757:

anyone know of a good, fully working 757 model? with 2d panel and maybe even
"simple" 3d one. Since i only use 2d really, 3d panel doesnt really matter.
any model will do, the -200 or -300. Payware or free i dont mind, as long as
its good.

777 default:
I was doing a long haul trip, heathrow to hongkong and i found myself having
to limit my speed near the end, to balance speed with fuel useage... i only
made it due to a tail wind. The reason for this issue? FSPassenger. I of
coarse loaded it with PAX and a small ammount of cargo, and that ment i
couldnt put max fuel in! SO i took out 20 PAX and limited myself to 10000lb
of cargo, and took off with 100% weight allowed, which was still only 60ish
% of fuel! Theres no point flying a plane long haul if you have no PAX!!!

So, is there any Long range 777 models out there? What about editing the
default 777 myself to create a new one? ie copy the dafault 777 to a dir
called 777ER, then editing the aircraft.cfg? I wouldnt really pay for a 777
since i rarely fly it anyway. i generaly only need 737's, which id like to
replace with that 757 im looking for ;)

And, while totaly on a different subject, what about more skins for the
default aircraft? Like Easyjet 737's, BA 737/747/777, etc etc

--
From Overlag - Adam Webb
10 answers Last reply

    "Adam Webb" <adam@ajmysecondname.eclipse.co.uk> wrote in message
    > 757:
    >
    > anyone know of a good, fully working 757 model? with 2d panel and maybe
    > even "simple" 3d one. Since i only use 2d really, 3d panel doesnt really
    > matter. any model will do, the -200 or -300. Payware or free i dont mind,
    > as long as its good.

    The best freeware 757 I've seen is from project open sky (POSKY):
    http://www.projectopensky.com/

    If you believe it or not, that's not so unreal!! It's a quite long flight at
    5200 NM+. First thing you need to do of course is a proper fuel planning to
    be sure that you have enough fuel on board (including reserves!...) Then add
    your fuel load to the dry operating weight and deduct the amount form the
    MTOW. Thats' now your Useful Payload. And it's not so umcommon that you
    might end up by unloading freight inorder to have all passengers on board. I
    agree that the default 777 is not designed for these long routes as it is
    not the -ER model. You better take the 747 for that. Even a 747 might have
    payload restrictions - especially on the reverse way where headwinds will be
    encountered. Yo cannot expect to load an A/C to it's max. Zero-Fuel Weight
    and then still fly large distances as well as you cannot expect to fuel up
    an A/C to max. capacity and then still have a considerable Useful Load. And
    as an additional gimmick you will be very close to or even exceeding Max.
    Landing Weight if you don't use up your fuel before landing....
    OMG, it's soo tricky to fly a heavy iron ... ;-)
    --
    Oskar Wagner
    (retired Captain)

    Remember, in the great scheme of things, we're all small potatoes....

    "Adam Webb" <adam@ajmysecondname.eclipse.co.uk> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > 757:
    >
    > anyone know of a good, fully working 757 model? with 2d panel and maybe
    > even "simple" 3d one. Since i only use 2d really, 3d panel doesnt really
    > matter. any model will do, the -200 or -300. Payware or free i dont mind,
    > as long as its good.
    >
    > 777 default:
    > I was doing a long haul trip, heathrow to hongkong and i found myself
    > having to limit my speed near the end, to balance speed with fuel
    > useage... i only made it due to a tail wind. The reason for this issue?
    > FSPassenger. I of coarse loaded it with PAX and a small ammount of cargo,
    > and that ment i couldnt put max fuel in! SO i took out 20 PAX and limited
    > myself to 10000lb of cargo, and took off with 100% weight allowed, which
    > was still only 60ish % of fuel! Theres no point flying a plane long haul
    > if you have no PAX!!!
    >
    > So, is there any Long range 777 models out there? What about editing the
    > default 777 myself to create a new one? ie copy the dafault 777 to a dir
    > called 777ER, then editing the aircraft.cfg? I wouldnt really pay for a
    > 777 since i rarely fly it anyway. i generaly only need 737's, which id
    > like to replace with that 757 im looking for ;)
    >
    > And, while totaly on a different subject, what about more skins for the
    > default aircraft? Like Easyjet 737's, BA 737/747/777, etc etc
    >
    > --
    > From Overlag - Adam Webb

    the default 747 in FS2004 is about the same, as it uses more fuel, but can
    carry more its all about balance i guess.

    Nor do i like the 747s "old" panel. Maybe ill get that A340 addon instead
    hmmm?

    But then i rarely do long range so would be a waste of money considering my
    current upgrades.....

    FS2004 £39.99
    FSglobal SE £29.99
    FSPax £23ish
    FStraffic2005 £19.99
    £1200 system upgrade to power it all :o)

    Starting to get expensive ;-)

    --
    From Overlag - Adam Webb
    "Oskar Wagner" <rengaw@swissonline.ch> wrote in message
    > If you believe it or not, that's not so unreal!! It's a quite long flight
    > at 5200 NM+. First thing you need to do of course is a proper fuel
    > planning to be sure that you have enough fuel on board (including
    > reserves!...) Then add your fuel load to the dry operating weight and
    > deduct the amount form the MTOW. Thats' now your Useful Payload. And it's
    > not so umcommon that you might end up by unloading freight inorder to have
    > all passengers on board. I agree that the default 777 is not designed for
    > these long routes as it is not the -ER model. You better take the 747 for
    > that. Even a 747 might have payload restrictions - especially on the
    > reverse way where headwinds will be encountered. Yo cannot expect to load
    > an A/C to it's max. Zero-Fuel Weight and then still fly large distances as
    > well as you cannot expect to fuel up an A/C to max. capacity and then
    > still have a considerable Useful Load. And as an additional gimmick you
    > will be very close to or even exceeding Max. Landing Weight if you don't
    > use up your fuel before landing....
    > OMG, it's soo tricky to fly a heavy iron ... ;-)
    > --
    > Oskar Wagner
    > (retired Captain)
    >
    > Remember, in the great scheme of things, we're all small potatoes....
    >
    > "Adam Webb" <adam@ajmysecondname.eclipse.co.uk> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >> 757:
    >>
    >> anyone know of a good, fully working 757 model? with 2d panel and maybe
    >> even "simple" 3d one. Since i only use 2d really, 3d panel doesnt really
    >> matter. any model will do, the -200 or -300. Payware or free i dont mind,
    >> as long as its good.
    >>
    >> 777 default:
    >> I was doing a long haul trip, heathrow to hongkong and i found myself
    >> having to limit my speed near the end, to balance speed with fuel
    >> useage... i only made it due to a tail wind. The reason for this issue?
    >> FSPassenger. I of coarse loaded it with PAX and a small ammount of cargo,
    >> and that ment i couldnt put max fuel in! SO i took out 20 PAX and limited
    >> myself to 10000lb of cargo, and took off with 100% weight allowed, which
    >> was still only 60ish % of fuel! Theres no point flying a plane long haul
    >> if you have no PAX!!!
    >>
    >> So, is there any Long range 777 models out there? What about editing the
    >> default 777 myself to create a new one? ie copy the dafault 777 to a dir
    >> called 777ER, then editing the aircraft.cfg? I wouldnt really pay for a
    >> 777 since i rarely fly it anyway. i generaly only need 737's, which id
    >> like to replace with that 757 im looking for ;)
    >>
    >> And, while totaly on a different subject, what about more skins for the
    >> default aircraft? Like Easyjet 737's, BA 737/747/777, etc etc
    >>
    >> --
    >> From Overlag - Adam Webb

    i can never get POSKY to work. the panels never show up, nor does the 3d
    panel, and sometimes the moving parts are messed up too, for instance the
    last time i tried the turbines of the engines was missing!!!

    any tips on how to do it correctly?

    --
    From Overlag - Adam Webb
    "Gary L." <noone@123.net> wrote in message

    > "Adam Webb" <adam@ajmysecondname.eclipse.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> 757:
    >>
    >> anyone know of a good, fully working 757 model? with 2d panel and maybe
    >> even "simple" 3d one. Since i only use 2d really, 3d panel doesnt really
    >> matter. any model will do, the -200 or -300. Payware or free i dont mind,
    >> as long as its good.
    >
    > The best freeware 757 I've seen is from project open sky (POSKY):
    > http://www.projectopensky.com/

    On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 13:09:38 +0100, "Adam Webb"
    <adam@ajmysecondname.eclipse.co.uk> brought the following to our
    attention:

    >i can never get POSKY to work. the panels never show up, nor does the 3d
    >panel, and sometimes the moving parts are messed up too, for instance the
    >last time i tried the turbines of the engines was missing!!!
    >
    >any tips on how to do it correctly?

    Not meaning to be a wise guy here.. but many time it's possible to
    straighten out such issues using Windows [file] Explorer to move
    and copy.. and Windows Notepad to edit the CFG files.. and the
    paths in the CFG files.

    i.e., look in Panel.cfg and check for valid path.

    -g

    >i can never get POSKY to work. the panels never show up, nor does the 3d
    >panel, and sometimes the moving parts are messed up too, for instance the
    >last time i tried the turbines of the engines was missing!!!
    >
    > any tips on how to do it correctly?

    If you look through the posky site there are a few different files you can
    download in addition to the basic aircraft, one of them is the 3D panel I
    believe. I'm using a different 2D panel I found on AVSIM so I don't know
    about installing a posky panel. I don't use 3D panels so the missing panel
    doesn't bother me. To me, accurate flight dynamics are more important than
    the panels so that's why I give posky high marks for freeware.

    >>i can never get POSKY to work. the panels never show up, nor does the 3d
    >>panel, and sometimes the moving parts are messed up too, for instance the
    >>last time i tried the turbines of the engines was missing!!!
    >>
    >>any tips on how to do it correctly?
    >
    > Not meaning to be a wise guy here.. but many time it's possible to
    > straighten out such issues using Windows [file] Explorer to move
    > and copy.. and Windows Notepad to edit the CFG files.. and the
    > paths in the CFG files.
    >
    > i.e., look in Panel.cfg and check for valid path.

    well i dunno, copying files into right locations is easy..... firstly
    installed as the package there seems to be no panel what so ever. download a
    custom panel, and the panel parts will be all over the place, or a panel
    covering the whole 1280x1024 and no outside view....thats what happend last
    time i tried anyway.

    --
    From Overlag - Adam Webb

    ok the latest install seems to be "ok" however

    1: the default panel is a 777 panel, which is fine however:
    a: the YD doesnt work
    b: the guages are still used to 777 engines limits etc, so show red when i
    use anything over 70 n1
    c: default view in the VC seems too low, plus the VC is ugly

    2: the weight is all out with only one loading station by default (right in
    the nose cone), FS passengers adds loading points to the default
    aircraft.cfg file, however its still "odd" and with the COG right in the
    nose.

    3: the flight dynamics seems wrong, but then i dont know how it reacts in
    real life, i would have thought it would be between a 737 and a 777...
    a: the plane can fly with much more Yaw/slip than any of the default planes,
    and without a working YD its hard to fly
    b: the plane can rotate at less than 40knots
    c: the engines even at idle push the plane to, and beyond taxi max speed
    d: engine's power seems odd, its either not enough, ie slowing down like i
    have spoilers up, and starts to drop like a brick, or it speeds up like the
    space shuttle and overspeeds within a few seconds!!!

    all of my comments about 3 are most likely linked to 2, since with the
    wieght/COG being all wrong it will fly oddly.

    --
    From Overlag - Adam Webb
    >>>i can never get POSKY to work. the panels never show up, nor does the 3d
    >>>panel, and sometimes the moving parts are messed up too, for instance the
    >>>last time i tried the turbines of the engines was missing!!!
    >>>
    >>>any tips on how to do it correctly?
    >>
    >> Not meaning to be a wise guy here.. but many time it's possible to
    >> straighten out such issues using Windows [file] Explorer to move
    >> and copy.. and Windows Notepad to edit the CFG files.. and the
    >> paths in the CFG files.
    >>
    >> i.e., look in Panel.cfg and check for valid path.
    >
    > well i dunno, copying files into right locations is easy..... firstly
    > installed as the package there seems to be no panel what so ever. download
    > a custom panel, and the panel parts will be all over the place, or a panel
    > covering the whole 1280x1024 and no outside view....thats what happend
    > last time i tried anyway.
    >
    > --
    > From Overlag - Adam Webb

    On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 16:25:16 +0100, "Adam Webb"
    <adam@ajmysecondname.eclipse.co.uk> brought the following to our
    attention:

    >ok the latest install seems to be "ok" however
    >
    >1: the default panel is a 777 panel, which is fine however:
    > a: the YD doesnt work
    > b: the guages are still used to 777 engines limits etc, so show red when i use anything over 70 n1
    > c: default view in the VC seems too low, plus the VC is ugly

    you're getting the idea of what it takes to `build' or configure an
    aircraft system for flightsim. some of the payware are in development
    for a LONG time.. flight dynamics `verification testing' and tweaking
    can take over 1 year.

    a. can you use the keyboard shortcut for YD? is it CTRL+D?
    b. yep.. not easy to build a panel and AIR file so it all works
    c. what about if the bitmaps are `MIPPED'? check with DXTBmp..
    or is it `clear' and just plain ugly? they have non-VC don't they?

    >2: the weight is all out with only one loading station by default (right in
    >the nose cone), FS passengers adds loading points to the default
    >aircraft.cfg file, however its still "odd" and with the COG right in the
    >nose.

    could believe the Reference Node is in the nose cone.. but not the CG
    and loading. it's not uncommon to Calculate the `equivalent loading'
    point (one single load) and place it at the appropriate longitudinal
    coord. you'll need to manually change the MOI's per different weight
    distributions.

    >3: the flight dynamics seems wrong, but then i dont know how it reacts in
    >real life, i would have thought it would be between a 737 and a 777...
    >a: the plane can fly with much more Yaw/slip than any of the default planes,
    >and without a working YD its hard to fly
    >b: the plane can rotate at less than 40knots
    >c: the engines even at idle push the plane to, and beyond taxi max speed
    >d: engine's power seems odd, its either not enough, ie slowing down like i
    >have spoilers up, and starts to drop like a brick, or it speeds up like the
    >space shuttle and overspeeds within a few seconds!!!

    best not to `bug' posky on FD or performance.. I learned that a LONG
    time ago. a: & b: above sound like 1101 coeffs, c: & d: sound like
    engine tables. excess slowing with engines cut is affected by TBL1507
    Ram Drag (mass flow) and over powered (typical) is defined in TBL1506
    Thrust Factor. many times the Sims are set as-such so nubies can
    operate [them] easier. Also could have excess Cdo (drag factor)..
    another nubie thing. :)

    >all of my comments about 3 are most likely linked to 2, since with the
    >wieght/COG being all wrong it will fly oddly.

    will take a look at Posky 757 in ACM and note the EWCG and Ref Node.
    there's nothing wrong with reducing the `loading' to an equivalent
    single node.. actually makes it easier to adjust.. see how the LOADS
    http://mywebpages.comcast.net/flightsim/722_loading.htm can be
    reduced. disclaimer.. just playing around with Sim.. don't take the
    website too seriously!!

    -Gregory

    how did you fix the wieght balance problems?

    I only use the 2d panel too, but it isnt very good as its still setup to 777
    standards....

    --
    From Overlag - Adam Webb

    > "Adam Webb" <adam@ajmysecondname.eclipse.co.uk> wrote in message
    >>i can never get POSKY to work. the panels never show up, nor does the 3d
    >>panel, and sometimes the moving parts are messed up too, for instance the
    >>last time i tried the turbines of the engines was missing!!!
    >>
    >> any tips on how to do it correctly?
    >>

    > If you look through the posky site there are a few different files you can
    > download in addition to the basic aircraft, one of them is the 3D panel I
    > believe. I'm using a different 2D panel I found on AVSIM so I don't know
    > about installing a posky panel. I don't use 3D panels so the missing
    > panel doesn't bother me. To me, accurate flight dynamics are more
    > important than the panels so that's why I give posky high marks for
    > freeware.

Video Games