GeForce 7600 GT or GS?

Dude_N_Stuff

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
Hey guys. I've decided i'm gonna go with the 7600. What I am curious of is the differences between GT and GS. From what i understand the GS is quieter, which sounds good, but i'm wondering if there would be a performance difference between the two. Thanks for any input.

-Dude_N_Stuff

Adsman

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
I agree that the GT is a great choice, especially when compared to the reference GS, but make sure you check out the Galaxy GeForce 7600 GS 256 GDDR3. This little beauty
can really go! 256 GDDR3 memory, new PCB, the ability to swap bioses with the flick of a switch, a sweet Zalman cooler, and it comes overclocked out of the box. Ah the sweet sound of warranty whispering in my ear... :mrgreen:

For a review
http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=5588&page=1

And the Official site
http://www.galaxytech.com/news/listst1.asp?s_id=13

Note that the picture is wrong on the Galaxy site, they should change it soon.

Enjoy the review its a goody!

HourofDarkness

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
but isnt the GS and GT exactly the same in terms of core speed?
which means that GS will overclock to GT speed with ease and a extra fan blowing on it.

pauldh

Illustrious
The core on the 7600GS is clocked at 400 MHz, the 7600GT's start at 560 with some models much higher. The 7600GS can OC to maybe 500MHz core on the stock passive cooler(depending on case flow and temps), and should go easily higher with better cooling. The real difference will be the memory. The 7600GS DDR is clocked at 800MHz verses the 7600GT's 1400MHz (reference) and even 1500MHz on OC models. The 7600GS is a budget card and typically it's memory chips will be much slower and incapable of 1400MHz speeds. Matter of fact, I hear some top out at around 900MHz OC'ed, so far below the stock 7600GT.

HourofDarkness

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
thanks pauldh
the core can do 720mhz with somewhere around 2V though... i dought that the GT will be able to handle that.

i heard rumours that an AGP version of either GT or GS is coming out... is that true? coz if it is i wont be spending an extra 100 bucks on a new motherboard...

jap0nes

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
there are differences, like other pointed out. but depending on what you gonna use it, the differences will make no difference :p so, if you think it's cool having a quiet card, depending on what you gonna use, the GS may be a better option

Adsman

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
Its really just a matter of which board partner makes the card and how interested they are in providing niche product for the consumer.

When it comes to reference cards the GT absolutely smokes the GS, but when Galaxy build a new PCB for the G73 core (same core as the GT) and put really fast 1.2ns GDDR3 memory on it, you get a different result. The GT still wins by a good margin, but not by the margin you would have thought.

Maybe it's got something to do with the card coming factory overclocked to 500/700 core/mem, but this little $205 card is really a GT sold off as a GS. The guys at Hexus managed to overclock it up past the reference GT no problem and then went on to crank it to 604/825 :)

Nice little card and well worth a look.

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
So you pay $205.00 for a 7600GS that will "supposedly" overclock past, but may or may not outperform a $170.00 reference 7600GT. You might want add in overseas shipping as well because the review even stated the card will not be available in the U.S., where the OP could very likely be.

The card in the review wouldn't be a bad deal if was being sold at or below the $135.00 cost of the 7600GS but the $205.00 price you quoted is just insane.

Adsman

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
I don't disagree with you on that point. $205 is quite a bit to spend on a mid to low end card, I guess I was simply overwhelmed by the thought that went into the card. Not sure the price is "insane" but I'll agree its high, at least that is the price Hexus quoted, I can pick this GS up here in NZ for US $160.

Does the added performance of the GDDR3 and the Zalman cooler, along with the dual bios feature warrant it? I guess that depends on what you are after. I like the idea, maybe not enough to make me buy, but its interesting anyway.

If they put some of those features on a fully-charged GT ( I realise they have GDDR3 standard) then they would more than likely move quite a few due to enthusiast interest. I live in New Zealand and the cheapest GT here is around NZ $356 (US$222), so the value proposition of a NZ $256 GS (US $160) card with those options is pretty good.

Seems like the Brits and Euros are getting a bit of a crap deal :(

ADS